The Courts under Trump - Mega Thread

• 3 weeks later...

42 minutes ago, StPaulHusker said:

Trump has already nominated a replacement since  he saw that notice on his favorite Fox show.

• Haha 1
1 hour ago, StPaulHusker said:

51 minutes ago, TGHusker said:

Trump has already nominated a replacement since  he saw that notice on his favorite Fox show.

Accidentally displaying the wrong name for an interview or switching to the wrong camera is a technical error. But this?! Fox News just “happened” to have this graphic in their back pocket and “accidentally” aired it. The BS meter just exploded.

1 minute ago, schriznoeder said:

Accidentally displaying the wrong name for an interview or switching to the wrong camera is a technical error. But this?! Fox News just “happened” to have this graphic in their back pocket and “accidentally” aired it. The BS meter just exploded.

That's kind of what I was thinking.  I wonder if other media outlets just have death announcements pre-made for people.

10 minutes ago, StPaulHusker said:

That's kind of what I was thinking.  I wonder if other media outlets just have death announcements pre-made for people.

It just seems so morbid, so I would hope not. Plus it'd take a competent graphics person only a few minutes to create one. But in this day and age, who knows?

11 minutes ago, StPaulHusker said:

Seems I remember one of the major newspapers ran a premature story on someone's death last year - someone who was close but had not yet kicked the bucket. But I can't remember who it was or what paper - I'm thinking the Washington Post or NYT - I believe their on line version not the actual paper.   I would think that media outlets have boiler plate articles ready for these kinds of things and just fill in the blank for the new facts - as each news outlet wants to be the first to report it.  

15 minutes ago, TGHusker said:

Seems I remember one of the major newspapers ran a premature story on someone's death last year - someone who was close but had not yet kicked the bucket. But I can't remember who it was or what paper - I'm thinking the Washington Post or NYT - I believe their on line version not the actual paper.   I would think that media outlets have boiler plate articles ready for these kinds of things and just fill in the blank for the new facts - as each news outlet wants to be the first to report it.  

CBS did it with Barbara Bush.  To their "somewhat" defense, the headline said DO NOT PUBLISH on it as they were preparing the story because she died 2 days later.

3 hours ago, TGHusker said:

Wasnt it Tom Petty? I think it was going around he died when he was still on life support or something like that. 

7 hours ago, TGHusker said:

Correct. The major outlets have a ton of obituaries written up for when someone suddenly kicks the bucket. From time to time these get published accidentally, or based on false info, but it makes sense for them to have these prepared as very little is going to change between now and when they are needed.

• 5 weeks later...

I thought this was an interesting article and a very good review of the case.   It also questions how much of an 'originalist' Kavanaugh may or may not be.

https://reason.com/blog/2019/02/25/brett-kavanaugh-flunks-his-first-test-as

Thomas and Gorsuch are both self-avowed originalists, so it is fitting that they would either explain (Thomas) or at least acknowledge (Gorsuch) their heterodox views in a major constitutional case such as Timbs. For an originalist judge, it is often an uphill battle, and one of the best ways to gain ground in the war of ideas is by writing a persuasive opinion, typically penned in concurrence or dissent. How else are you going to change minds and set the foundation for winning future cases?

Which brings us back to Brett Kavanaugh. Where, you may be wondering, was the Court's newest self-described originalist in last week's Timbs legal wrangling? Did Kavanaugh also explain where he stands on the crucial debate over the original meaning of the 14th Amendment? Did he say whether or not he agrees with Thomas? Did he perhaps lay out a different originalist take of his own? Alas, Kavanaugh did none of those things. He did not bother to weigh in at all.

If Brett Kavanaugh is a committed originalist, you would never know it based on his complacent behavior in Timbs v. Indiana.

Democrats raised a number of concerns with Rushing, who is a partner at the D.C.-based law firm Williams & Connolly. She worked for Alliance Defending Freedom, a conservative Christian organization that has been classified as a hate group by the Southern Poverty Law Center. She has argued that there were “moral and practical” reasons for banning same-sex marriage. And some lawmakers said she simply lacks the experience or legal ability to be a federal judge.

“She has practiced law for nine years. How many cases has she tried to verdict or judgment? Four. Has she been the lead attorney on any of those cases? No,” Sen. Dick Durbin (D-Ill.) said on the Senate floor. “That is the most scant, weakest legal resume imaginable for someone who’s seeking a lifetime appointment to the second-highest court of the land.”

• Thanks 1