The Courts under Trump - Mega Thread

1 minute ago, Moiraine said:

When was the last time Bill Clinton ran for office? Or applied for a job?

That is relevant how?  You said when this happens Democrats believe the accuser regardless of the accused party.  The most obvious example of this being false is Bill Clinton who at the time had more credible and recent accusations made against him, and the Democrats treated his accusers WAY worse than the Republicans are treating Dr. Ford.  Remember Carvilles "you never know what you'll get when you wave $100 bills around a trailer court" when describing one of Clinton's accusers.

I also notice you didn't mention Ellison, who currently has abuse allegations made against him with witnesses, and if I'm not mistaken, medical documentation.

9 minutes ago, Dbqgolfer said:

That is relevant how?  You said when this happens Democrats believe the accuser regardless of the accused party.  The most obvious example of this being false is Bill Clinton who at the time had more credible and recent accusations made against him, and the Democrats treated his accusers WAY worse than the Republicans are treating Dr. Ford.  Remember Carvilles "you never know what you'll get when you wave $100 bills around a trailer court" when describing one of Clinton's accusers.

I also notice you didn't mention Ellison, who currently has abuse allegations made against him with witnesses, and if I'm not mistaken, medical documentation.

I added to my post before you submitted your reply, FYI.

And it’s wholly relevant that Clinton hasn’t run for election or applied for a job as far as I know in 21 years. You’re bringing up something from 21-25 years ago. We are specifically talking about what happens to people running for office and trying to get government jobs. Those women aren’t taking Clinton to trial and he’s not running for office. Attitudes were also a lot different then. Men got away with a lot more chauvinist attitudes about that stuff. It’s sad but it has taken a long time for people to react this way.

The Democrats were also the racist party if you go back far enough.

For the record I’ve always disliked Clinton and I don’t like that he has seemed like this big hero since his presidency. I think it’s far more relevant to talk about how Democrats and Republicans have behaved in recent times though, so the best example you’ve given is Keith Ellison. I don’t know much about him. Maybe it’s the biased media’s fault. CNN did run a story on his affiliation with the Nation of Islam but they haven’t done much on this accusation.

2 hours ago, Dbqgolfer said:

Democrats have gone down this road before. Many people feel that, in hindsight, they shouldn't have done so. There has been no shortage of writing on whether the subject of going to bat for Bill Clinton was the right thing to do. Clearly their approach in the era of MeToo is different. This is a different crop of Democrats than circled the wagon around Clinton.

Ellison apparels to be an outlier, but they're currently investigating the situation and if he's guilty, he shouldn't be representing anyone as a politician.

It feels like you're just trying to dig in and claim that Dems are just as bad as Republicans on this issue and therefore it's all relative. That is not the case. There are reasons to criticize both parties, but Democrats are just not at all comparable the Republicans on this issue.

It's stunning they're making a power play to confirm this man and you're just going along with it. This confirmation is a farce being run by a bunch of partisan clowns.

Does this sound like an impartial player to you?

WASHINGTON – Mike Davis, the chief counsel on nominations for the Senate Judiciary Committee under Chairman Chuck Grassley, is being criticized for two tweets he posted and then deleted that called into question his objectivity regarding the sexual assault allegation that has been made against Supreme Court nominee Brett Kavanaugh. 

"Unfazed and determined. We will confirm Judge Kavanaugh. #ConfirmKavanaugh," read screengrabs of a deleted tweet sent from Davis' account at 10:22 p.m. EDT on Wednesday. 

About two hours later, Davis sent another tweet reading, "I personally questioned Judge Kavanaugh under penalty of felony and 5 years imprisonment, if he lies. I'm waiting to hear back from the accuser's attorneys, who can't find time between TV appearances to get back to me." 

Those tweets sparked an uproar as some Twitter users interpreted them as evidence that Kavanaugh's accuser, Christine Blasey Ford, will not be given a fair hearing if she accepts Grassley's invitation to testify about her accusation before the committee on Monday. 

• Plus1 2
10 hours ago, Clifford Franklin said:

I thought this aligned with my thoughts on this subject quite well.

Democrats (actual officials with power in positions of government; not random citizens) don't really care whether or not he did it either, sadly. 

2 hours ago, Dbqgolfer said:

That is relevant how?  You said when this happens Democrats believe the accuser regardless of the accused party.  The most obvious example of this being false is Bill Clinton who at the time had more credible and recent accusations made against him, and the Democrats treated his accusers WAY worse than the Republicans are treating Dr. Ford. 

Yeah and it was actually the Republican party that ended slavery, which is clearly an obvious example that Republicans aren't racist, right? :lol:

We're obviously talking present tense here - culture is dramatically different than it was 25 years ago. 

• Plus1 1

32 minutes ago, Landlord said:

Democrats (actual officials with power in positions of government; not random citizens) don't really care whether or not he did it either, sadly. 

Yeah and it was actually the Republican party that ended slavery, which is clearly an obvious example that Republicans aren't racist, right? :lol:

We're obviously talking present tense here - culture is dramatically different than it was 25 years ago. 

But this whole thing is an alleged incident that occurred 35 years ago

23 minutes ago, knapplc said:

Well, it doesn't matter if he **believes** he didn't sexually assault her.  It matters if he **did** sexually assault her.

If there are credible witnesses showing that he did, that's gotta disqualify him.

I don't disagree and I'm not sure anyone is saying otherwise.

Of course.....if it were Donny, he would have paid her off with $300,000 long ago.

• Plus1 1