The Courts under Trump - Mega Thread

8 minutes ago, knapplc said:

I haven't followed along this afternoon. I presume Ms. Mitchell stuck around to question Kavanaugh for the Republicans, right?

She did for the first couple until it got to Lindsay Graham, who proceeded to throw an absolute tizzy about how this is the most unfair process he's ever seen in politics and how Democrats held this information until the last moment to sabotage Kavanaugh. He literally threatened GOP senators should they not vote for Kavanaugh.

Like I said earlier, he's trying to suck up to the Trump and get re-elected in 2020. He doesn't want to get primaried. 

• Plus1 3

From FiveThirtyEight's Nate Silver:

This is a liveblog, so I’m just going to tell you what I’m thinking: I think it seems pretty damned obvious that Kavanaugh is lying about questions surrounding his drinking habits. I think he’s concluded that he has to lie about them because if it can be established that he drinks to the point of blacking out or at least “getting fuzzy,” then his denial isn’t worth very much when Ford said the incident occurred when Kavanaugh was very drunk. He might undertake the strategy of lying about his drinking habits whether he was guilty of the assault, innocent of the assault, or was too drunk to know either way. But if you’ve been following the details about this case, it’s very, very likely that he’s knowingly lying about his drinking habits.

Kavanaugh is a liar. And a bitchy, rude, entitled one, at that.

• Plus1 2

It’s Graham’s understanding that people don’t commit rapes when they’re younger and then stop. Except, there are examples of serial rapists/murderers that stopped long before they were caught. Also, if this is Kavanaugh’s behavior when he’s very drunk, he may have stopped as he stopped drinking heavily. I’m assuming if the accusations are true, he probabaly either stopped after college or when he got married. Not sure why Graham finds that possibility hard to believe - except that it’s what he doesn’t want to believe. 

• Plus1 1
8 minutes ago, Moiraine said:

It’s Graham’s understanding that people don’t commit rapes when they’re younger and then stop. Except, there are examples of serial rapists/murderers that stopped long before they were caught. Also, if this is Kavanaugh’s behavior when he’s very drunk, he may have stopped as he stopped drinking heavily. I’m assuming if the accusations are true, he probabaly either stopped after college or when he got married. Not sure why Graham finds that possibility hard to believe - except that it’s what he doesn’t want to believe. 

I want to add to this, because I think you're right.

Kavanaugh has been shown to be lying about drinking to excess.

Someone earlier mentioned this. It's an entirely plausible possibility that Ford is 100% telling the truth, and Kavanaugh is telling what he perceives to be the truth, but he was so drunk he doesn't actually remember the night in question. Both people can be absolutely convinced their story is right, but if Kavanaugh was incapacitated on the night in question, we'll never know.

Of course, Republicans won't allow anybody else who can shed light on the night in question to answer any kind of questions. They can't testify for this committee or supply facts to the FBI. Because we've got our talking points and we're sticking to them.