The Courts under Trump - Mega Thread

9 minutes ago, Waldo said:

If this same thing happened to a family member, a wife/husband, a friend, would we all be so quick to judge? 

I think something happened to Ford in the time period she claims. When you let 36 years pass (understandably her choice), it becomes harder to prove, and the evidence/memories fade(s).  

If the #metoo movement does anything, I hope it allows people to come forth quicker to get the justice they deserve. 

See above. The justice system doesn't give them the justice they deserve.

Remember, this isn't a trial. It's a job interview for Kavanaugh.

12 hours ago, Dbqgolfer said:

You are correct that it is miles apart. However, if he truly didn't do this, holding no Ill will is probably the best I could do in his situation.

You do know that Brett Kavanaugh's career is built on partisan political character assassinations, many of them knowingly unfounded. 

Ill will has been his business for years. 

Of all the people to pity in the world, Brett Kavanaugh doesn't make the list. 

• Plus1 3
2 minutes ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

You do know that Brett Kavanaugh's career is built on partisan political character assassinations, many of them knowingly unfounded. 

Ill will has been his business for years. 

Of all the people to pity in the world, Brett Kavanaugh doesn't make the list. 

I feel like it slipped under that radar that he claimed this entire thing was a hoax designed as a ploy to get revenge for the Clintons.

He went completely batsh#t insane yesterday on the calculated gamble that Republicans would come home. It's going to work, too.

• Plus1 2

29 minutes ago, Waldo said:

If this same thing happened to a family member, a wife/husband, a friend, would we all be so quick to judge? 

What exactly are you asking here? So quick to judge who? Ford or Kavanaugh?

If a loved one claimed that they were sexually assaulted, or if a loved one was unexpectedly accused of sexual assault, I suppose we would all lean towards supporting our loved one and presume that our person is telling the truth and the other side is the bad guy. 

But generally speaking, when it comes to matters of justice, I hate it when people ask "what if it was a family member." Justice is supposed to be blind and impartial, determined by reasonable people who are not conflicted by the situation. I am admittedly biased by my liberal mind, but a reasonable and impartial and educated person should be able to see all sorts of problems with Kavanaugh's statements and behaviors, as well as with the political spectacle that got us here.

• Thanks 2
14 minutes ago, Waldo said:

I think something happened to Ford in the time period she claims. When you let 36 years pass (understandably her choice), it becomes harder to prove, and the evidence/memories fade(s).  

If the #metoo movement does anything, I hope it allows people to come forth quicker to get the justice they deserve. 

If the same thing happened to a family member, I would have told them they should withdraw, and I'd be pissed at them for the media circus they'd be causing that would undoubtedly be interfering with my normal life.  I'd publicly press for further investigation by a independent body if they didn't and maintained their innocence, because if there's nothing to hide that'd obviously clear them.  If I saw them lie their ass off in front of the senate about their drinking and "inside jokes", I'd call that out too.  It's a shame smart phones didn't exist back then.  We'd undoubtedly have a facebook full of video that would instantly disqualify this man from his current job, let alone the SCOTUS.

Look, undeniable proof isn't what is needed here, this wasn't a trial.  This is simply republicans trying to shove in a alcoholic, lying, partisan hack and probably would-be sex offender if he wasn't a member of the affluent, christian, white, entitled boys club into the SCOTUS regardless of any doubts about his character.  At this point its probably half to show they can and half because they don't give a f#&% what anyone thinks because if you aren't one of them or a billionaire donors you don't f#&%ing matter to them.

I'd be embarrassed if he was a family member of mine, or any republican senator involved was.  I'd tell them this is the world they are helping to perpetuate in the face of their own mothers, sisters and daughers.  For what? a "good work" from the slim-ball McConnell?  That's the legacy they're going to leave, a suck-up to Donald Trump and Mitch McConnell, I'd make sure to carve that into their tombstone so history accurately portrays them as the coward they were in their own time.

Family doesn't mean blind allegiance.

• Plus1 3
  • Haha 1
58 minutes ago, Waldo said:

I'd rather hold a family member accountable in love than enable them to act dispicably. I would be wary of any close aquaintence accused of such behavior as abusers aren't typically the most truthful people.

8 minutes ago, Nebfanatic said:

I'd rather hold a family member accountable in love than enable them to act dispicably. I would be wary of any close aquaintence accused of such behavior as abusers aren't typically the most truthful people.

But you don't know if an accused person is an abuser or not, so how can you judge their morality. 

26 minutes ago, Moiraine said:

Seems to me the character requirements for supreme court justice should be higher than the requirements for working at McDonald’s or even Google.

Shouldn't be in the PC world we live in today. Teachers and cops for example should be held to a similar standard. 

• Plus1 1
1 minute ago, Waldo said:

But you don't know if an accused person is an abuser or not, so how can you judge their morality. 

If they are accused then there is a chance they are an abuser and there is a good chance they would lie to your face about it. Like I said, I would be very wary of anyone accused of such behavior. From my experience there isn't alot of motivation to go to the end of the road with false allegations of this nature. However there is overwhelming motivation for abusers to lie and discredit victims.

I get so tired of the victim shaming and the 'well what if she is lying?'

Someone did lie about accusations against Roy Moore....paid by conservative supporters of Moore to discredit the media. The media sniffed that out in about 2 seconds. Its not as if accusations are brought forth with zero verification. These claims have some substance at a bare minimum to reach this point.

• Plus1 1
6 minutes ago, Waldo said:

Shouldn't be in the PC world we live in today. Teachers and cops for example should be held to a similar standard.  

Teachers and cops, heck, even a McDonald's interviewee, would be shown the door if they behaved in a job interview the way Kavanaugh behaved yesterday.

Nobody would hire a person as an employee who feels empowered to display that kind of arrogance in a job interview.

We do not live in "a PC world."  In "a PC world" a person even accused of assault or sexual assault wouldn't be moving forward on the confirmation path. They wouldn't be seated as a House representative.  They wouldn't be occupying the Oval Office.  And yet, in the last two years, we have seen all three of these kinds of behavior not only not punished, but rewarded by Republicans.  This is the opposite of "a PC world." 

• Plus1 6