The Courts under Trump - Mega Thread

25 minutes ago, Waldo said:

Shouldn't be in the PC world we live in today. Teachers and cops for example should be held to a similar standard. 

There is no “PC world.” That’s a talking point for people who want to be assholes to everyone with no repurcussions.

Teachers and police officers should be held to a higher standard, I agree.

And for any job, if the employer caught wind of a new sexual assault accusation, I’m guessing in most cases the person wouldn’t even get to do the interview.

• Plus1 1

19 minutes ago, knapplc said:

Teachers and cops, heck, even a McDonald's interviewee, would be shown the door if they behaved in a job interview the way Kavanaugh behaved yesterday.

Nobody would hire a person as an employee who feels empowered to display that kind of arrogance in a job interview.

We do not live in "a PC world."  In "a PC world" a person even accused of assault or sexual assault wouldn't be moving forward on the confirmation path. They wouldn't be seated as a House representative.  They wouldn't be occupying the Oval Office.  And yet, in the last two years, we have seen all three of these kinds of behavior not only not punished, but rewarded by Republicans.  This is the opposite of "a PC world." 

MAGA

• Thanks 1
53 minutes ago, Waldo said:

Shouldn't be in the PC world we live in today. Teachers and cops for example should be held to a similar standard. 

We are in our district.  Administrators are open about checking Facebook, Twitter, etc before giving interviews.  There have also been teachers that did not get their contracts renewed because of conduct outside of school.  I have even heard of teachers at small towns that won't get renewed contracts because of drinking at local bars, they have to go "out of town" to have a drink.

I'm pretty confident an applicant with sexual assault allegations against them would need to have them settled before given the job.

3 minutes ago, funhusker said:

We are in our district.  Administrators are open about checking Facebook, Twitter, etc before giving interviews.  There have also been teachers that did not get their contracts reviewed because of conduct outside of school.

I'm pretty confident an applicant with sexual assault allegations against them would need to have them settled before given the job.

Agreed. I could care less about Kavanaugh, but how can you believe either person definitively. I think a lot of people in this thread have their blue tinted glasses on and are arguing for the simple fact that they don't like Kavanaugh and don't want another Republican to fill a seat. 

While most sexual assault claims are real, people can and will start using this to their advantage to slander others, especially in politics. 

• Plus1 1

Flake playing Kingmaker over here.

His "one week" stipulation is BS. If you're going to investigate, then do a proper damned investigation.  That means you take as long as it takes, no limits, to get the thing right.

So damned sick of putting party ahead of country.

Abolish political parties.

• Plus1 3
11 minutes ago, Waldo said:

Agreed. I could care less about Kavanaugh, but how can you believe either person definitively. I think a lot of people in this thread have their blue tinted glasses on and are arguing for the simple fact that they don't like Kavanaugh and don't want another Republican to fill a seat. 

While most sexual assault claims are real, people can and will start using this to their advantage to slander others, especially in politics. 

You think wrong.

12 minutes ago, Waldo said:

I'll say it again: then why aren't Kavanaugh and the Republicans pushing for an investigation to reveal the truth of the matter?

• Plus1 1
1 minute ago, knapplc said:

You think wrong.

Good one 

Just now, RedDenver said:

I'll say it again: then why aren't Kavanaugh and the Republicans pushing for an investigation to reveal the truth of the matter?

I would bet the farm the investigation won't prove squat either way. 

• Plus1 1
16 minutes ago, schriznoeder said:

Drama...

Will Sasse for once actually stand up to Trump? This would be a surprising time to do it given his lame words yesterday. Or maybe they’re human and can shoot the s#!t occasionally and we are reading too much into their facial expressions.

Or Sasse bought donuts and shared with everyone but Graham.

• Plus1 2
4 minutes ago, Waldo said:

I would bet the farm the investigation won't prove squat either way. 

So we don't even try to get evidence or answers for a SCOTUS candidate accused of multiple sexual assaults? And I thought conservatives and Republicans were supposed to be all about personal responsibility - instead it's just putting your head in the sand and pretending your team does no wrong.

• Plus1 2
1 minute ago, RedDenver said:

So we don't even try to get evidence or answers for a SCOTUS candidate accused of multiple sexual assaults? And I thought conservatives and Republicans were supposed to be all about personal responsibility - instead it's just putting your head in the sand and pretending your team does no wrong.

Can be said for either side. An investigation would be smart for the Democrats (and Ford). It stalls time and gives them a better chance to get a more moderate nomination if they vote against Kavanaugh. 

• Plus1 1