The Courts under Trump - Mega Thread

42 minutes ago, ZRod said:

Nominate someone without controversy. See Goursich.

Let's not forget that this whole thing was shady from the start. Kennedy only stepped down once he knew Trump would nominate Kav, and there are suspicious connection between Trump and Kennedy's son as a banker.

Let's put Kavanaugh himself aside for a moment.

The fact that Kennedy handpicked two of his former clerks (Gorsuch & Kavanaugh) as a condition of his decision to retire is worrying to me. I already feel like the people at the top are insulated from the rest of us. What message does it send when Justices get to handpick their own replacements? Further concentration of political power in the hands of an ever-shrinking circle. 

• Plus1 1

23 minutes ago, ZRod said:

Then why wasn't that done for Gorsich, professor?

Gorsuch was replacing Scalia. The Dems weren’t as desperate to prevent that.

Kavanaugh replacing Kennedy is a bigger deal. A squishy moderate, especially on hot button social issues, is replaced with a more principled conservative. They were willing to make up sexual assault allegations to try to stop that.

Just wait until they try to replace Ginsburg with Comey Barrett. They’ll probably claim she practices witchcraft. :lol:

• Plus1 1
  • Fire 1
51 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

Pretty easy to create a controversy. Just find some people with mental issues and get them to make crazy allegations of sexual assault.

The precedent has now been set.

Yes that is the Left's playbook.  Gorsuch was not the swing vote so this whole notion by the Left that this did not happen with him is irrelevant.  Schumer and the Dems said they would oppose anybody Trump nominated from the outset and they had to fabricate this hoax to try to take down Kavanaugh and delay Kennedy's replacement until 2018 in case they could win the Senate.  This hoax failed big time thanks to having a President and now increasingly confident GOP Senate that is fighting tough and not willing to fall for the Left's games.  The irony in all this is that the left has hijacked and politicized the Me Too movement, and in pushing for these false/uncorroborated allegations they actually have hurt the Me Too movement.  If they were really serious about it they would not have supported Hillary Clinton who spent years smearing and intimidating Bill's victims, and they would not be standing by Cory Booker now who has admitted to assaulting a teen.

• Plus1 1
  • Fire 1
42 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

Gorsuch was replacing Scalia. The Dems weren’t as desperate to prevent that.

Kavanaugh replacing Kennedy is a bigger deal. A squishy moderate, especially on hot button social issues, is replaced with a more principled conservative. They were willing to make up sexual assault allegations to try to stop that.

Just wait until they try to replace Ginsburg with Comey Barrett. They’ll probably claim she practices witchcraft. :lol:

Don't you think they would do everything they could to stop both nominations since they know he's getting 2 of them? It doesn't make sense that they all of the sudden decided to go HAM on one of them and not the other. Unless you wear a tinfoil hat.

33 minutes ago, HuskerNation1 said:

they had to fabricate this hoax to try to take down Kavanaugh and delay Kennedy's replacement until 2018 in case they could win the Senate. 

I keep hearing this claim of fabricating a hoax. So, is it that the Democrats came up with the whole idea and found a random person with a possible past connection to Kavanaugh to be the main actor in it? Or is it that they put out a call to anyone with any dirt to come forward and then they just made it juicier? Or is it that they manipulated Dr. Ford into acting of her own accord in going to her congresswoman and the Washington Post back in July, and then orchestrated all the pieces of a grand yet ultimately unsuccessful conspiracy over the next 3+ months? I'm not sure how exactly it's a 'fabricated' 'hoax.'

2 minutes ago, Landlord said:

I keep hearing this claim of fabricating a hoax. So, is it that the Democrats came up with the whole idea and found a random person with a possible past connection to Kavanaugh to be the main actor in it? Or is it that they put out a call to anyone with any dirt to come forward and then they just made it juicier? Or is it that they manipulated Dr. Ford into acting of her own accord in going to her congresswoman and the Washington Post back in July, and then orchestrated all the pieces of a grand yet ultimately unsuccessful conspiracy over the next 3+ months? I'm not sure how exactly it's a 'fabricated' 'hoax.'

Deep state man

4 minutes ago, Landlord said:

2 minutes ago, Nebfanatic said:

Deep state man

Brought to you by George Soros!

Probably

6 minutes ago, Landlord said:

Well, they would have had to set up this hoax 6+ years ago when Ford told her therapist about the event.

18 minutes ago, ZRod said:

Don't you think they would do everything they could to stop both nominations since they know he's getting 2 of them? It doesn't make sense that they all of the sudden decided to go HAM on one of them and not the other. Unless you wear a tinfoil hat.

It makes perfect sense, as I explained.

• Plus1 1

3 minutes ago, RedDenver said:

Well, they would have had to set up this hoax 6+ years ago when Ford told her therapist about the event.

Allegedly. Interesting that she has refused to turn over those notes. So no one is really sure how she recovered this memory or what it consisted of. 

• Plus1 1
1 hour ago, ZRod said:

Nominate someone without controversy. See Goursich.

Let's not forget that this whole thing was shady from the start. Kennedy only stepped down once he knew Trump would nominate Kav, and there are suspicious connection between Trump and Kennedy's son as a banker.

Yes, I pointed out the Kennedy/Trump conflict of interest issue in some other post

Regarding controversy - by all accounts Kav seemed to be clean of controversy at the start of the process (outside of the trump/kennedy/banker son/kav  link - which not too many people on the committee seemed concerned about. 

• Plus1 1
8 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

Allegedly. Interesting that she has refused to turn over those notes. So no one is really sure how she recovered this memory or what it consisted of. 

Did the FBI interview her therapist?? It seems that would have been the proper thing to do when the FBI did its thing..... unless the admin limited their reach.

4 minutes ago, TGHusker said:

Did the FBI interview her therapist?? It seems that would have been the proper thing to do when the FBI did its thing..... unless the admin limited their reach.

The therapist probably can't say anything without violating some ethics code.

Also, wasn't there a report that many of her classes new that she had some kind of incident with a high ranking judicial official?