The Courts under Trump - Mega Thread

Just now, QMany said:

Trump and his court-packing wins, Americans won't see the information they deserve before election day.

And the dumb thing is, there's nothing to decide in this case. The House has oversight on investigations like these and deserves to see this information.

Oh cry me a river, already.  :cry

I expect Trump to find a way to void the election and try to stay in office.  Maybe he'll surprise and just walk away from it all - saying the country isn't worthy of his talents.  He probably has a condo in Russia he can go to.

Yep, the fine print sucks. SCOTUS effectively punted the actual responsibility to oversee to documents getting meted out to the lower court and effectively ducked directly inserting themselves into the 2020 election. Which one can argue is good for them trying to maintain an apolitical, impartial image, but bad in that it effectively delays oversight on Trump until a new Congress is in place and God-willing, he is no longer POTUS.

Still good to see SCOTUS resoundingly slap down his terrible "I'm above the law" arguments, ofc.

1 hour ago, QMany said:

John Roberts' Court will be remembered for laughing at voting rights.

So if I understand the the case correctly, the law says felons must pay court fees/fines before they can vote.  Is that correct?  And the court upheld that law.      As some have suggested, Bloomberg should pay all of those fees to clear the way for voting.  But it is a failure of the court to not strike down this law.   

• Plus1 1
23 minutes ago, TGHusker said:

So if I understand the the case correctly, the law says felons must pay court fees/fines before they can vote.  Is that correct?  And the court upheld that law.      As some have suggested, Bloomberg should pay all of those fees to clear the way for voting.  But it is a failure of the court to not strike down this law.   

what a catch-22 ,for those people

EdEJJ0_XYAADmMW?format=png&name=small

• Plus1 1
2 hours ago, QMany said:

John Roberts' Court will be remembered for laughing at voting rights.

Somebody recently posited lately that it may be becoming a court that has a very broad, inclusive vision of civil rights that includes both protections for minorities (i.e., the Native American reservation and LGBTQ rights cases) AND religious freedoms.

But one thoughline from the pro-Trump SCOTUS is that they split in the face of all voting rights cases. First they bungled Citizens United that ensured an era of unlimited dark money in politics. Then they gutted the Civil Rights Act and the voting rights protections therein. Last year they punted on gerrymandering. Now this.

Simply put, this SCOTUS will never help further voting rights. They're content to just let states do whatever they want.

• Plus1 1