The Courts under Trump - Mega Thread

1 hour ago, DevoHusker said:

But my post, such a long long time ago, pointed out that Obama really isn't sitting all that bad in comparison, and if he and HRC would have made it more of a priority they would be even better. They, wrongly, assumed they would have at least an4 year extension.

What the hell are you talking about? It wasn’t about Obama making it a “priority.” He wanted to fill the seats, McConnell blocked it from happening. That thievery led to Trump having more seats to fill. 

• Plus1 3

12 minutes ago, Moiraine said:

Why do you think the Democrats would do the same if they held the Senate? Did they do it before? What people keep missing when they keep trying to argue both sides here is who keeps doing the s#!tty thing first. That matters. There probably is a decent chance the Democrats will do it now, but that's because the precedent has been set. They aren't the ones who crossed that line. Unfortunately they can't afford to lay over and play by the rules. At the very, very least they have to make new rules to prevent this from ever happening again - this would be the noble thing to protect this country. The alternative is to play dirty like the Republicans really started to do around 2010. I would prefer if Republican voters would quit being okay with this f#&%ing bulls#!t and vote for better people.

I agree with your stance 110%

But there is a LOT of prognosticating on these pages as to what the "other side" would do, would have done with the courts, Covid etc.

I wish that decorum would become a trending thing again in Politics but, alas, I don't think it will happen any time soon.

3 minutes ago, Ulty said:

What the hell are you talking about? It wasn’t about Obama making it a “priority.” He wanted to fill the seats, McConnell blocked it from happening. That thievery led to Trump having more seats to fill. 

All 200 empty seats...? Umm, okay. scotus seats, then I agree 

Just now, DevoHusker said:

I agree with your stance 110%

But there is a LOT of prognosticating on these pages as to what the "other side" would do, would have done with the courts, Covid etc.

I wish that decorum would become a trending thing again in Politics but, alas, I don't think it will happen any time soon.

The Democrats need to be grownups and enact laws to enforce logical rules.

And this is a politics forum. We all vote based on what we think is going to happen, which ideally is informed by what has happened in the past and what is being said and done in the present.

• Plus1 2

4 minutes ago, Moiraine said:

I'm mostly worried about the voting rights stuff, and that's probably the most important because it will make it extremely difficult to fix things. We've already seen what they've done with 5.

Specific to voting rights there will be some big fights about the outcomes of the census and the redistricting(gerrymandering) that will follow.

• Plus1 1
18 minutes ago, Omaha-Husker said:

Specific to voting rights there will be some big fights about the outcomes of the census and the redistricting(gerrymandering) that will follow.

Yep: U.S. Census: On Nov. 30, the court will hear Trump v. New York, regarding whether the Trump administration can legally exclude undocumented immigrants from U.S. Census tallies used to apportion seats in the U.S. House of Representatives.

• Plus1 1

3 minutes ago, Moiraine said:

Yep: U.S. Census: On Nov. 30, the court will hear Trump v. New York, regarding whether the Trump administration can legally exclude undocumented immigrants from U.S. Census tallies used to apportion seats in the U.S. House of Representatives.

So you think immigrants here illegally should count towards state representation in the House?

8 minutes ago, DevoHusker said:

There was another one I heard was available too that would have delayed it. Democrat moderates don't have the balls/ovaries that Republicans have.

33 minutes ago, B.B. Hemingway said:

So you think immigrants here illegally should count towards state representation in the House?

Can you change the "So" to "Do" ?

• Plus1 2