The Courts under Trump - Mega Thread

10 minutes ago, commando said:

you are saying the left...she didn't.   but....go ahead and read what you want to read into it.   .i will go ahead and add bernie voters into that mix for you if it makes you feel better.   

You're correct, I read "left" into that tweet. But the point still stands: ANC is falsely blaming others for ACB getting onto the SC. We can get into why the third-party voters aren't to blame again if you want.

9 minutes ago, knapplc said:

She immediately left her inauguration to attend a political event for trump. 

CNN called it a White House swearing in ceremony - which it was.   This isn't a political event.  Now I wouldn't be surprised if Trump turn something into a political event.   But that wasn't the purpose of the event.    Unless there is some other event after this event noted below at the WH, I see nothing political in it and it isn't uncommon. 

https://www.cnn.com/2020/10/26/politics/white-house-amy-coney-barrett-swearing-in/index.html

Washington (CNN)Amy Coney Barrett was sworn in to the Supreme Court at a White House ceremony Monday evening, shortly after her nomination was confirmed by the Senate.

"As you take your oath tonight the legacy of our ancestors falls to you," President Donald Trump told Barrett during the ceremony. "The American people put their trust in you and their faith in you as you take up the task of defending our laws, our Constitution and this country we all love."
"Justice Barrett made clear she will issue rulings based solely upon a faithful reading of the law and the Constitution as written, not legislate from the bench," Trump said.
Supreme Court Justice Clarence Thomas swore in Barrett under a constitutional oath at the White House event. Chief Justice John Roberts will administer Barrett's judicial oath swearing-in ceremony on Tuesday.

Barrett called it "a privilege to be asked to serve my country(.)" She also highlighted the "separation of duty from political preference."
"My fellow Americans, even though we judges don't face elections, we still work for you. It is your Constitution that establishes the rule of law and the judicial independence that is so central to it," Barrett said. "The oath that I have solemnly taken tonight means at its core that I will do my job without any fear or favor, and that I will do so independently of both the political branches and of my own preferences."

ABC confirms:

https://abcnews.go.com/Politics/senate-poised-confirm-amy-coney-barrett-supreme-court/story?id=73839894

Following the Senate's confirmation of Judge Amy Coney Barrett to the Supreme Court, the White House hosted a ceremony where Justice Clarence Thomas administered the official constitutional oath to Barrett.

Supreme Court justices are required to take two oaths before they may execute the duties of their appointed office: the constitutional oath and the judicial oath.

Barrett will take the judicial oath on Tuesday in a private ceremony at the Supreme Court. Following that oath, she will officially become an active participant in court proceedings.

After taking the constitutional oath, Barrett used her brief remarks at the White House ceremony tonight to speak about the need for a federal judge to case aside her policy preferences in her decision-making.

"The confirmation process has made ever clearer to me one of the fundamental differences between the federal judiciary and the United States Senate. And perhaps the most acute is the role of policy preferences," Barrett said. "It is the job of a senator to pursue her policy preferences. In fact, it would be a dereliction of duty for her to put policy goals aside. By contrast, it is the job of a judge to resist her policy preferences. It would be a dereliction of duty for her to give into them. Federal judges don't stand for election. Thus, they have no basis for claiming that their preferences reflect those of the people. This separation of duty from political preference is what makes the judiciary distinct among the three branches of government."

• Plus1 1
15 minutes ago, commando said:

thank you for admitting that.   

I'd like to think I'm open to criticism and admitting to being wrong. Although I'm not religious, I like this line as one to live by even in the internet age: First take the plank from your own eye, then you can see clearly enough to remove the speck from your neighbor's eye.

1 hour ago, TGHusker said:

CNN called it a White House swearing in ceremony - which it was.   This isn't a political event.  Now I wouldn't be surprised if Trump turn something into a political event.   But that wasn't the purpose of the event.    Unless there is some other event after this event noted below at the WH, I see nothing political in it and it isn't uncommon. 

https://www.cnn.com/2020/10/26/politics/white-house-amy-coney-barrett-swearing-in/index.html

• Thanks 2

Obviously a political event ^^^

I think it's great what Barrett and her husband have built their family. It's awesome that they've given those kids what appears to be a good home. In no way should that be a metric for whether she belongs on the highest court in the land.

I'm not afraid of Barrett the human being. I'm afraid of more whack-a$$ decisions like Kavanaugh's above that she will help aid and abet bulls#!t tactics the GOP uses to hold on to power and impose their ideology on people.

• Plus1 3