The Courts under Trump - Mega Thread

Just now, Archy1221 said:

I took it as he saying once Kavanaugh got unjustly accused of being a serial rapist, that if Trump would have moved on and chosen someone else, his career would have been ruined. 

that is a mighty circular path you took to get to that conclusion...but any path that doesn't shine a dim light on dear leader is your chosen path.

• Plus1 1

21 hours ago, BigRedBuster said:

So...let me get this straight.  He believed he wouldn't even be hired by a law firm but....he nominated him for a life time appointment on the highest court in the land.

Fact is, Trump thought he would be his lacky on the court......luckily, he hasn't been that and now Trump is throwing a temper tantrum.

• Plus1 1
On 7/13/2021 at 9:55 AM, RedDenver said:

More interesting points from the article

I sure hope he doesn't run in 2024.  If he ever gets back in the WH, it will be the 'great revenge tour' 

Wolff gives an entertaining account of what it was like for the book authors who were given Trump interviews at Mar-a-Lago:

It's called the Living Room, but it's in fact the Mar-a-Lago lobby, a vaulted-ceiling rococo grand entrance, part hunting lodge, part Renaissance palazzo. But it is really the throne room. ... He sits, in regulation dark suit and shiny baby-blue or fire-red tie, on a low chair in the center of the room, his legs almost daintily curled to the side, seeing a lineup of supplicants or chatting on the phone, all public conversations.

And why would Trump talk to Wolff, who wrote two earlier bestsellers with devastating accounts of Trump dysfunction?

• "The fact that he was talking to me might only reasonably be explained by his absolute belief that his voice alone has reality-altering powers," Wolff writes.
  • Trump told Wolff: "I don’t blame you. I blame my people."

•  
  • 2 weeks later...

13 minutes ago, DevoHusker said:

Doesn't the FBI have some sort of policy mandate that valid crime reports have to be investigated? The article basically says they had information he did something criminal, but didn't look into them. 

Not according to that article - the FBI only did what Trump authorized them to do.

On 7/23/2021 at 1:21 PM, DevoHusker said:

I see. So they're saying the President controls the actions of the Agency, and they are not autonomous. Not how I would have understood their mission...

https://www.justice.gov/jmd/organization-mission-and-functions-manual-federal-bureau-investigation 

The FBI is part of the executive branch, which the President is the head of, so I'm guessing that they followed the directives of the President. However, I'm not sure of all the nuances of whether or not the FBI could or should have done additional investigations into a SC nominee, but I'd be interested in anyone knows what the limits are for the FBI in these types of investigations.

7 minutes ago, RedDenver said:

The FBI is part of the executive branch, which the President is the head of, so I'm guessing that they followed the directives of the President. However, I'm not sure of all the nuances of whether or not the FBI could or should have done additional investigations into a SC nominee, but I'd be interested in anyone knows what the limits are for the FBI in these types of investigations.

Me too.

I did find this: https://www.washingtonpost.com/outlook/can-trump-stop-the-fbi-ask-the-4-presidents-who-tried/2018/11/09/67b152f0-e371-11e8-ab2c-b31dcd53ca6b_story.html

and this: https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/politics/onpolitics/2017/07/20/fbi-director-reports-justice-department-not-president/495094001/

1 hour ago, DevoHusker said:

Those articles suggest the FBI could (and probably should) have done a more thorough investigation into Kavanaugh. The FBI supposedly didn't because the President only gave them a short list of people to investigate. Congress also didn't give the FBI much time to investigate, so I'm not sure how much that influenced the FBI's decisions.

6 minutes ago, RedDenver said:

Those articles suggest the FBI could (and probably should) have done a more thorough investigation into Kavanaugh. The FBI supposedly didn't because the President only gave them a short list of people to investigate. Congress also didn't give the FBI much time to investigate, so I'm not sure how much that influenced the FBI's decisions.

And that's why I made the first comment reference this. Sure seems to me like the FBI is passing the buck, putting the blame solely on Trump, because it is low hanging fruit. 

3 minutes ago, DevoHusker said:

And that's why I made the first comment reference this. Sure seems to me like the FBI is passing the buck, putting the blame solely on Trump, because it is low hanging fruit. 

Seems like Trump, the FBI, and the Senate all deserve blame here. No reason at all to rush a SC nomination through.

• Plus1 1