Kieron Williams

People know that his position, where's coached to be, is behind A. Williams right? That the design of the defense is for him to be there should a ball be deflected backwards on a pass break up?

Dude plays his assignment to a tee and is "lucky". Dude blows his assignment and should be taken off the field for "not understanding the defense".

I'd hate to have most of you as a boss.

• Fire 3

People know that his position, where's coached to be, is behind A. Williams right? That the design of the defense is for him to be there should a ball be deflected backwards on a pass break up?

Dude plays his assignment to a tee and is "lucky". Dude blows his assignment and should be taken off the field for "not understanding the defense".

post-8533-0-69914900-1499792335_thumb.gif

:yeah

Been saying this for awhile. The guy just makes plays. Has since he was a freshman. Interceptions. Blocked punts. He can just find the ball.

Seems odd that he is now having trouble getting on the field.

https://twitter.com/PFF_College/status/884585790508081153

Apparently he doesn't find the ball as well as you'd like to believe.

Why tweaks in Nebraska Cornhuskers secondary springs quite a bit of optimism for one analyst. Read more at landof10.com:

https://www.landof10.com/nebraska/one-analyst-quite-bit-optimism-spring-tweaks-nebraska-cornhuskers-secondary

Jackson graded out really poorly last year. Things can change and players can improve but he wasn't better than Aaron last year.

Edit. He does have a knack for creating turnovers though. Just kind of a give and take with run and pass coverage

No, he actually does. Otherwise he wouldn't be our leading tackler and interceptor.

I'm not saying he is a great tackler. But if he "missed" that many tackles and was still the fourth-leading tackler on the team - which doesn't even take number of snaps into account - then that pretty much leaves two explanations (probably a combination of the two). First, everyone was missing their fair share of tackles. And/or second, he was getting to the ball so much more than everyone else that even though he missed a bunch of tackles he still accumulated more than most everyone else.

I would think getting better at tackling would be about the easiest thing to improve on. Players aren't really going to get more instinctive or have better range. So I kind of think having a playmaker out there is probably the way to go.

ORRRRRRRRRRRR..... maybe there's a position in the middle of "he sucks and is only lucky" and "he's the best player in the history of ever."

I'm a huge Kieron Williams fan. But he was also the beneficiary of a couple of lucky bounces. I don't care if he's coached to be behind Aaron Williams - multi-level defenses aren't exactly uncommon. It's not a round ball, it bounces funny, and a couple times the ball just bounced his way.

It's not harmful to say that. It doesn't make anyone who sees that a bad person or "bad boss."

• Fire 1

I was reading through this just to see if someone would say this....if not, I was going to.

Sure....sometimes it is just dumb luck. But, most of the time, a player gets a ball because he is where he is supposed to be....playing his assignment and paying attention.

• Fire 1

ORRRRRRRRRRRR..... maybe there's a position in the middle of "he sucks and is only lucky" and "he's the best player in the history of ever."

I'm a huge Kieron Williams fan. But he was also the beneficiary of a couple of lucky bounces. I don't care if he's coached to be behind Aaron Williams - multi-level defenses aren't exactly uncommon. It's not a round ball, it bounces funny, and a couple times the ball just bounced his way.

It's not harmful to say that. It doesn't make anyone who sees that a bad person or "bad boss."

Which is pretty much what I said.

Which is what I was saying as well. There were multiple instances where if the ball doesn't take the odd bounce it did, he doesn't make the play/int. Doesn't make him a bad player but he benefited from it a fair amount.

Been saying this for awhile. The guy just makes plays. Has since he was a freshman. Interceptions. Blocked punts. He can just find the ball.

Seems odd that he is now having trouble getting on the field.

With this staff I don't find it surprising at all.

I think we've all watched sports enough to see lots of unsung players have great individual plays and games, then wonder why they don't play more often.

There's usually a good reason: another player who does a slightly better job more consistently.

Coaches aren't perfect but they watch a helluva lot more football than the fans, and I don't think they hold back players who give them a better chance of winning.

Luck is created on the football field period, he was in the correct position on those plays to make the play, one of the few on the defense to actually make a play. That is why they practice the freaking tip drill for god sakes. You don't just get lucky and get 4 picks. So Lamar Jackson just missed plays because he didn't have luck? Banderos let people run right by him because of luck? But the one guy who makes game changing plays you down grade it because why? They moved someone over to help with that position? He is not just going to ride pine all year, he wil be on field doing his big play thing this year to.

Luck is created on the football field period,

Yes, definitely. Except when it isn't.

he was in the correct position on those plays to make the play,

Yes, he was. He did well.

one of the few on the defense to actually make a play.

Agreed. Absolutely, and thank goodness he was there. He did good.

That is why they practice the freaking tip drill for god sakes.

Yep.

You don't just get lucky and get 4 picks.

Eh. Depends.

So Lamar Jackson just missed plays because he didn't have luck?

To an extent, yes. To an extent he needs more time.

Banderos let people run right by him because of luck?

Errr... not seeing the correlation there. There's luck & there's skill. Let's not confuse the two.

But the one guy who makes game changing plays you down grade it because why? They moved someone over to help with that position?

I didn't downgrade him. It's not downgrading someone to say they got lucky. For example, Matt Davison was in the right place at the right time because of the design of the play, he had the skill/ability to get there, but he caught that pass in 1997 because it (luckily) bounced his way. Saying that doesn't mean Davison's catch wasn't amazing.

He is not just going to ride pine all year, he wil be on field doing his big play thing this year to.

I certainly hope so.