Kieron Williams

Been saying this for awhile. The guy just makes plays. Has since he was a freshman. Interceptions. Blocked punts. He can just find the ball.

Seems odd that he is now having trouble getting on the field.

Not trying to be a jerk, but we haven't played a single down yet so who is to say that he is having trouble finding the field. If he is not a starter that means that there are at least 2 players ahead of him - shouldn't be that hard to understand.

• Fire 3

IMO, based on watching the games, he's benefited A LOT from being in the right place at the right times. Maybe that's him having good instincts, maybe that's him getting lucky but to my untrained eye, it seems to be more of the latter.

I felt that, too. It's been a while since I watched any of last year's games, but I recall thinking that his INTs were less him making great plays on the ball and more that he was where the ball bounced after it was tipped or bounced off a pass breakup.

Aaron Williams pass break up against Minnesota at the end of the game. Was a great play by A Williams lucky Kieron was there

There was another at Wyoming as well

Here are those two INTs, just for fun.

• Fire 1

IMO, based on watching the games, he's benefited A LOT from being in the right place at the right times. Maybe that's him having good instincts, maybe that's him getting lucky but to my untrained eye, it seems to be more of the latter.

I felt that, too. It's been a while since I watched any of last year's games, but I recall thinking that his INTs were less him making great plays on the ball and more that he was where the ball bounced after it was tipped or bounced off a pass breakup.

Aaron Williams pass break up against Minnesota at the end of the game. Was a great play by A Williams lucky Kieron was there

There was another at Wyoming as well

Here are those two INTs, just for fun.

Both of those plays are right place right time. The one thing I will say is in the Minnesota play even if Leidner threads that ball in there Keiron has a chance to break up the pass as he is sitting on the inside of route with the WR coming right to him. Chance are it could've been broken up by Keiron even if Aaron doesn't get a hand on it.

Maybe, just maybe, Diaco's scheme doesn't fit his style of play or abilities as well as other DB's.... It's been said they are trying to find ways to get the best guys on the field. This doesn't mean that he isn't good or skilled, it simply means that in our current defensive scheme, he is not the best guy to have in the starting 11.....Very similar to comments about our RB's....I think Oz is a great back, between the tackles he is a bruising and punishing runner. BUT he is not the best for a scheme that involves toss sweeps, or long developing outside run plays. Not a knock on him at all. It's just not his strength. Maybe same thing for Williams. He has a particular skill set/abilities that allowed his greater success last year than is anticipated this year as Diaco wants (my opinion) guys who can do more things well.

I guess Riley thinks that Lamar Jackson will be better on the field at corner and that Kalu will be better at safety. To get Lamar on the field they simply move Kalu- who is also a playmaker in coverage- to safety and he takes KWilliams spot. AWilliams is the best safety we have right now and since Kalu is the better overall player, he will see the field at safety over K will. He will still make the field for certain packages, but right now he will back up Kalu barring any injury to someone in the secondary.

Whether lucky or not Kieron made plays and executed when it mattered. He still had to catch those interception that he had and many D-backs drop simple interceptions like that. I really like him and he is a great player, but right now our secondary is really deep and that is only a good problem to have.

• Fire 1

I guess Riley thinks that Lamar Jackson will be better on the field at corner and that Kalu will be better at safety. To get Lamar on the field they simply move Kalu- who is also a playmaker in coverage- to safety and he takes KWilliams spot. AWilliams is the best safety we have right now and since Kalu is the better overall player, he will see the field at safety over K will. He will still make the field for certain packages, but right now he will back up Kalu barring any injury to someone in the secondary.

This is the big unknown. If Jackson can play up to his potential, things will look great.

And it's not that he can't. He seems to be a terrific athlete. My concern is that he had basically not played any cornerback until about 13 months ago. And that's not a position that you can just suddenly be good at at the Power 5 level. There are pretty good athletes who've played corner for years who take time to adapt. Such as Eric Lee, who probably isn't quite the athlete but had played a ton of cornerback against pretty good competition and was nearly as highly-rated as Jackson (though Jackson was rated as a Safety). So I don't think there can really be any argument that Jackson wasn't ready to play last year. Yet he was on the field in Game 1. Donte Williams (I believe) even said he had a ways to go this spring. So the coaches were obviously pushing him pretty hard. Maybe that will work out. But it seems like they may be putting potential over production in this case. Again, it's possible that's the right move. But I don't think what we've seen on the field justifies it at this point.

Last season Kieron Williams emerged as a breakout player for Nebraska's defense, a true Johnny-on-the-spot multiple times for the Huskers. Williams hauled in five interceptions across the team's 13 games and finished with 69 tackles as well.

So why is no one talking about this senior ahead of the season?

http://nebraska.247sports.com/Bolt/Nebraska-at-Noon-Curious-case-of-Kieron-Williams-75057615

• Fire 1
  • 4 years later...