The Trump Regretters

BIGRED....

As a police officer, I have wondered about something.

Trump won quite a few votes because he put himself out there as the candidate that supports police officers in an era where there were lots of tensions between the public and police departments.

How do you feel then, as a law enforcement officer, about how he treats intelligence officers and departments for the US?

I don't care for it, I don't like that he may have interfered with a criminal investigation and didn't allow it to go the direction it needed to go. He used the power of the office to stop that investigation from continuing and fired the FBI director because of it. He has shown law enforcement support, he's stated he supports law enforcement, but I wonder if he has just used us as a puppet to help drive his machine that eventually got him elected. That's where I'm at professionally at the moment.

• Fire 3

I remember a very illuminating point about Trump that I picked up from a Todd N Tyler interview, of all places.

They're pretty good friends with Lewis Black and had him on. They tend to focus on politics talk since that is more his realm, and most of his interviews with them just devolve into angry rants and vent sessions.

Anyway, he's from New York. So needless to say he has a decades long familiarity with Trump. The way he described it, most everyone in New York realizes how much of a pompous, hyperbolic a-hole Trump is. He said New Yorkers know Trump's shtick and think he's a "gasbag."

It kind of clicked for me after hearing that that if people from his home city/state knew that's who he was, that's who he truly was. He was able to pull the wool over our eyes as a nation once because nationwide we as a people weren't familiar enough with him in that way. Obviously a lot of folks are starting to become aware.

Here's the podcast if anyone wants to hear it. Relevant bit starts at about the 7 minute mark.

I'm in NY quite a bit for work (here now actually) and hate is an understatement. Each time you get in a cab, talk to somebody at a coffee shop etc it comes up. Especially those who are now impacted by the BS traffic issues and blockades when he is home (or Melania is). Blowhard, dirt bag are common descriptors - of course many, many worse things are said. It's f*$kin' NY.

Whereas in many areas it's best to not bring up politics w/strangers, they are pretty active about it here. Makes me wonder what it's like when those folks from western Nebraska that are here of vacation get into a cab what they think.

Well then BRI, I'm glad to say that I know you.

My folks rationale is, "what sort of harm can he do in just 4 years with all of our watch guard's in place". A false sense of security for sure.

My answer to that rationale is he may not be able to harm things in the sense as in passing ridiculous bills due to our government layers, but he certainly is doing us harm world wide at this point and that's a bigger problem in my opinion. He won't get much done in his 4 years and it's obvious because he's been doing this 6 months now with a republican government in power and what has he gotten done? Nothing from what I've seen..........

BIGRED....

Trump won quite a few votes because he put himself out there as the candidate that supports police officers in an era where there were lots of tensions between the public and police departments.

How do you feel then, as a law enforcement officer, about how he treats intelligence officers and departments for the US?

I don't care for it, I don't like that he may have interfered with a criminal investigation and didn't allow it to go the direction it needed to go. He used the power of the office to stop that investigation from continuing and fired the FBI director because of it. He has shown law enforcement support, he's stated he supports law enforcement, but I wonder if he has just used us as a puppet to help drive his machine that eventually got him elected. That's where I'm at professionally at the moment.

Do your go workers have the same feelings?

Btw.....I agree. I think he used that to get elected. He has done so much since then to show he really doesn't give a crap about them unless they are supporting or worshiping him.

If they happen to be investigating him, they are trash.

• Fire 1

I remember a very illuminating point about Trump that I picked up from a Todd N Tyler interview, of all places.

They're pretty good friends with Lewis Black and had him on. They tend to focus on politics talk since that is more his realm, and most of his interviews with them just devolve into angry rants and vent sessions.

Anyway, he's from New York. So needless to say he has a decades long familiarity with Trump. The way he described it, most everyone in New York realizes how much of a pompous, hyperbolic a-hole Trump is. He said New Yorkers know Trump's shtick and think he's a "gasbag."

It kind of clicked for me after hearing that that if people from his home city/state knew that's who he was, that's who he truly was. He was able to pull the wool over our eyes as a nation once because nationwide we as a people weren't familiar enough with him in that way. Obviously a lot of folks are starting to become aware.

Here's the podcast if anyone wants to hear it. Relevant bit starts at about the 7 minute mark.

I'm in NY quite a bit for work (here now actually) and hate is an understatement. Each time you get in a cab, talk to somebody at a coffee shop etc it comes up. Especially those who are now impacted by the BS traffic issues and blockades when he is home (or Melania is). Blowhard, dirt bag are common descriptors - of course many, many worse things are said. It's f*$kin' NY.

Whereas in many areas it's best to not bring up politics w/strangers, they are pretty active about it here. Makes me wonder what it's like when those folks from western Nebraska that are here of vacation get into a cab what they think.

I spent a week in Manhattan back in May and didn't see or hear one thing about Trump, outside of his name plastered on buildings and tacky souvenirs in Times Square. My interaction with the locals was limited though. We mostly kept to ourselves. That situation on 5th Avenue is a crock though and I bet they are all pissed about it.

BIGRED....

Do your go workers have the same feelings?

Btw.....I agree. I think he used that to get elected. He has done so much since then to show he really doesn't give a crap about them unless they are supporting or worshiping him.

If they happen to be investigating him, they are trash.

He did the same exact thing with Christians.

He became a Christian in 2016 at the age of 70. Not unheard of, but coinciding with a presidential run? LOL

• Fire 1

Well then BRI, I'm glad to say that I know you.

My folks rationale is, "what sort of harm can he do in just 4 years with all of our watch guard's in place". A false sense of security for sure.

My answer to that rationale is he may not be able to harm things in the sense as in passing ridiculous bills due to our government layers, but he certainly is doing us harm world wide at this point and that's a bigger problem in my opinion. He won't get much done in his 4 years and it's obvious because he's been doing this 6 months now with a republican government in power and what has he gotten done? Nothing from what I've seen..........
what!? Every person in political comment sections tell me Trump has done more in 6 months than Obama did in 8 years and you're telling me that's wrong?? /s

From what I can tell all Trump is accomplishing is undoing anything he possibly can that Obama did

He definitely pandered to both LEOs/military and Christians. Never really got why it was different just because it was Trump, but it worked. I've read his support among rank and file military has dropped off somewhat since he was elected.

But man, what an interesting case study in Christian voting habits. I guess if you say you're pro-life you really can get away with anything and still get those votes. Remember TWO Corinthians? Yeesh.

He definitely pandered to both LEOs/military and Christians. Never really got why it was different just because it was Trump, but it worked. I've read his support among rank and file military has dropped off somewhat since he was elected.

But man, what an interesting case study in Christian voting habits. I guess if you say you're pro-life you really can get away with anything and still get those votes. Remember TWO Corinthians? Yeesh.

It was a perfect opportunity for him to jump on board and say he supports law enforcement at the time. You had a growing issue with thoughts towards law enforcement from parts of society. Couple that with law enforcement feeling stabbed in the back by the Obama administration and he got law enforcement's support. Also add in growing negative feelings towards all of the protests and societal issues from other segments of society and he has a great catapult to work off of in reference to your "average citizen who's sick of all of these issues."

• Fire 2

That is the problem with plantation politics. The repubs proclaim being the party of pro-life and really don't do much about it. If the Dems would allow a pro-life Dem to rise to the top - they could control the election process in my opinion. For many perhaps most Christians, pro-life is a non-compromising position. The Dems have the right attitude towards other 'life' issues - health and other family life issues but they have hitched their wagon completely to the pro-abortion/choice side. Many of the old Democrats from years ago were liberal on social issues but also many were pro-life as well.

So along comes TWO Corinthians, himself, he now proclaims himself pro-life (a reversal from a few years prior) and he gains the votes of the pro-life voter who has no where else to go. I would vote for a pro-life Dem any day over Trump or a fake pro-life do nothing republican. Many of us pro-life voters abstained from voting for Trump or Hillary. :rant

:backtotopic I constantly hear my family, friend, co-workers who voted for Trump still defend him and they have no regret. They are still focused on the media that is out to get him and not on the child named Trump. So it is disheartening to hear it. While I can acknowledge with them when something good has occurred under his watch (of which there are a few as the govt still keeps moving along) I cannot give him any credit for it or grace for his behavior in office. I still believe any good and worthwhile thing accomplished during his time in office will be in spite of him and not because of him.

That's a succinct way of putting what happened there, BRI. I'd agree.

TGH, I often wonder what would happen if one side or the other threw in the towel on a wedge issue. I wonder how a Dem would do nationally if they didn't campaign on gun control so it couldn't be thrown back in their face. Or if they were pro-life. I think the latter would be a trickier line to walk, because they'd still have to support Planned Parenthood most likely. Or if they ran on a platform of "I don't care" about pro-life vs. pro-choice.

Or imagine the opposite. A Republican who ran on moderate gun control reform or unapologetically pro-choice. I wonder how either of them would do...