The Trump Regretters

Considering Trump as the alternative, I wouldn't have regretted voting for Clinton. I would have voted for her a million times out of a million without question.

That's because you can't see where I was/am coming from. I don't see it that way, doesn't mean either one of us is wrong or right, just means our perspectives are different. ;)

• Fire 1

Listen, if you want more folks to have dialogue in here besides everyone agreeing with one another these are the approaches that push folks out of here except for a core few. I created this thread with the hopes that the finger pointing and told you so wouldn't start. I still don't like some of the things Obama did in his last term and how society has changed, we've got plenty of threads about that stuff in the past, I'm not really interested in rehashing some of that history. I disliked those things enough to vote for Donald Trump, let that settle into your mind for a second. I'm not a radical individual, I'm not a republican, I'm not a democrat, I'm an average American who was duped. Wagging fingers in my face obviously isn't a constructive approach to someone who is wrapping their mind around things.

I'm not trying to discourage dialogue, I welcome it. But I do think it is important to point out that a lot of the exact things being listed for this Trump Regret were readily apparent before Election Day. I'm sorry you feel duped. You weren't the first and won't be the last; Trump is conman.

• Fire 1

Listen, if you want more folks to have dialogue in here besides everyone agreeing with one another these are the approaches that push folks out of here except for a core few. I created this thread with the hopes that the finger pointing and told you so wouldn't start. I still don't like some of the things Obama did in his last term and how society has changed, we've got plenty of threads about that stuff in the past, I'm not really interested in rehashing some of that history. I disliked those things enough to vote for Donald Trump, let that settle into your mind for a second. I'm not a radical individual, I'm not a republican, I'm not a democrat, I'm an average American who was duped. Wagging fingers in my face obviously isn't a constructive approach to someone who is wrapping their mind around things.

I'm not trying to discourage dialogue, I welcome it. But I do think it is important to point out that a lot of the exact things being listed for this Trump Regret were readily apparent before Election Day. I'm sorry you feel duped. You weren't the first and won't be the last; Trump is conman.

Fair enough, sorry, I hate feeling like I screwed up, I also hate feeling like I'm stupid when I know I'm not............... :bang

• Fire 2

I'm really heartened by this post from BRI. Thank you for starting the thread.

There are plenty of other differences that remain; those are all normal, civil distinctions, though. I only hope that more of us will all start standing up and recognizing what it is we collectively fell for.

• Fire 1

If someone wants to move the dialog forward, the least constructive thing we could do when offered an olive branch is to say "I told you so."

I don't mean to rub it in anyone's face with "I told you so" or make anyone feel stupid, but I think it is important to be brutally honest with themselves about why they voted for Trump and why they are now regretting it. I think that is one of the most important parts of this dialog.

• Fire 2

Considering Trump as the alternative, I wouldn't have regretted voting for Clinton. I would have voted for her a million times out of a million without question.

That's because you can't see where I was/am coming from. I don't see it that way, doesn't mean either one of us is wrong or right, just means our perspectives are different. ;)

I'm the only liberal in my family. I know exactly where you were coming from. But I didn't enjoy voting for Clinton. I made a logical choice on who I believed could be more diplomatic.

• Fire 4

If someone wants to move the dialog forward, the least constructive thing we could do when offered an olive branch is to say "I told you so."

I don't mean to rub it in anyone's face with "I told you so" or make anyone feel stupid, but I think it is important to be brutally honest with themselves about why they voted for Trump and why they are now regretting it. I think that is one of the most important parts of this dialog.

It can be an instructive part of the dialog. Immediately after someone offers a mea culpa may not be the best of all times to start in on the, "Well you should have known..." speech. Maybe give it a while. Let everyone come to some terms first.

There's plenty of time to offer constructive criticism before the next elections.

• Fire 2

I should have voted for Evan McMullin over Clinton. I think we would all like a Mulligan on that vote.

yes, I could have written in McMulin perhaps instead of not voting for the top of the ticket. The more I see his tweets, etc the more I like the guy.

Something that I had hoped would happen would be that once he won the presidency he felt the weight of the office and the weight of the responsibility fall onto his shoulders and that he'd change some of these radical behaviors because of that. You can say he showed some of that before, but he was only running for the office and I don't think he realistically thought he'd win the office so he was just going with the show and marketing himself on fear and preying upon that. Immediately after he won when he was speaking with President Obama you could tell he was in shock of what had just happened and realized he needed some help. That gave me some hope, that was quickly extinguished once he took office and he continued to act like a child and has only gotten worse.

• Fire 2

So BRI (I join all those complimenting you on your honesty and mature look back). Do you get the sense that others you know that voted that way are feeling similarly? Based on the polls we see you're an outlier. My conservative family members & I are not able to discuss politics, and there are very few open red folks out my way so I don't feel I've got a sense of what the real pulse is. Obviously there are a lot of us here that lean liberal, and we talk a lot - don't feel like conservatives really want to discuss openly.

• Fire 1

Something that I had hoped would happen would be that once he won the presidency he felt the weight of the office and the weight of the responsibility fall onto his shoulders and that he'd change some of these radical behaviors because of that. You can say he showed some of that before, but he was only running for the office and I don't think he realistically thought he'd win the office so he was just going with the show and marketing himself on fear and preying upon that. Immediately after he won when he was speaking with President Obama you could tell he was in shock of what had just happened and realized he needed some help. That gave me some hope, that was quickly extinguished once he took office and he continued to act like a child and has only gotten worse.

I can appreciate and understand that. Before, he was a reality TV star putting on a show for his supporters. I didn't vote for him, but I too hoped he'd change his radical behaviors.

I'm the only liberal in my family. I know exactly where you were coming from. But I didn't enjoy voting for Clinton. I made a logical choice on who I believed could be more diplomatic.

I'm not a conservative, I'm not a liberal, I'm an independent, I don't lean one way or the other. I've voted for both parties several times in the past so my line of thinking doesn't necessarily fall into either party lines thought process. In fact I'm probably less apt to get along with someone if their thoughts are extreme in either direction because things get a little bit too blue or red for me and I can't wrap my mind around those extreme thoughts.

BIGRED....

As a police officer, I have wondered about something.

Trump won quite a few votes because he put himself out there as the candidate that supports police officers in an era where there were lots of tensions between the public and police departments.

How do you feel then, as a law enforcement officer, about how he treats intelligence officers and departments for the US?

• Fire 2