The Trump Regretters

That's a succinct way of putting what happened there, BRI. I'd agree.

TGH, I often wonder what would happen if one side or the other threw in the towel on a wedge issue. I wonder how a Dem would do nationally if they didn't campaign on gun control so it couldn't be thrown back in their face. Or if they were pro-life. I think the latter would be a trickier line to walk, because they'd still have to support Planned Parenthood most likely. Or if they ran on a platform of "I don't care" about pro-life vs. pro-choice.

Or imagine the opposite. A Republican who ran on moderate gun control reform or unapologetically pro-choice. I wonder how either of them would do...

Yes I wonder also. While I vote Pro-life as a general rule, I'm not going to vote for someone who is totally irresponsible on all other issues. Both parties need to expand their tent and embrace voters from both sides of an issue. While the Dems may not support my prolife vote, they may appreciate my vote in another area. This current congress has reminded me that it is better to vote for someone who you argree with 60% of the time and gets things done then vote for someone you agree wt 100% but never accomplishes anything. Sen Bob Casey, is a pro-life dem as was his father the Governor. They both have been successful in their respective offices. I'd support them without any problem. There are also some reasonable Dem pro-choice congressmen that I'd support as well. The problem with these labels is that it gives us excuses not to look beyond the label and we tend to 'write off ' the worth of a person by that label without looking deeper. I know there are some good Republicans that more left leaning guys could support as well.

• Fire 1

I have totally taken abortion out of any reason why I vote for someone. Why? Because neither side wants anything to change. They are both using this issue to lock you in as a voter....meanwhile, they have pathetic views on other issues and no ability to get anything done.

This issue is not ever going to move one way or the other politically. It's a societal issue. And...until society changes their mindset (either way) nothing will ever change.

People rant on and on about SC justices on this issue and how important it is to get a D or R in the White House because of it. It's been pointed out on here the other day that we have had a conservative leaning SC for decades. Has anything changed? Have they ever ruled against a woman's right to choose?

No...nothing will ever change and this issue will do nothing but lock you into voting for people you probably shouldn't be voting for.

This thread is a prime example of that.

• Fire 3

I have totally taken abortion out of any reason why I vote for someone. Why? Because neither side wants anything to change. They are both using this issue to lock you in as a voter....meanwhile, they have pathetic views on other issues and no ability to get anything done.

This issue is not ever going to move one way or the other politically. It's a societal issue. And...until society changes their mindset (either way) nothing will ever change.

People rant on and on about SC justices on this issue and how important it is to get a D or R in the White House because of it. It's been pointed out on here the other day that we have had a conservative leaning SC for decades. Has anything changed? Have they ever ruled against a woman's right to choose?

No...nothing will ever change and this issue will do nothing but lock you into voting for people you probably shouldn't be voting for.

This thread is a prime example of that.

Agreed. How many times since Roe v. Wade has there simultaneously been a Republican President, a Republican majority in Congress, and a "right" leaning Supreme Court? The answer is "more than zero".

SCOTUS has to first accept the right case, or cases. That takes time and fortune, and we're taking for granted the enormous efforts that have been poured into defending Roe -- which to begin with, made overturning it hard. Landmark SCOTUS decisions have consequences.

Roe is repeatedly being challenged. The most recent was just last year, if I recall, and it was also a close vote. We also usually overlook is the big exception carved into Roe by Casey (1992).

Additionally, Roe not being overturned shouldn't diminish the local (up to national) efforts to effectively restrict or deny abortion. I don't know off the top of my head the records of lower courts in this area. I suspect it's regionally variable.

The sides aren't tussling over Roe because there's nothing to be gained or lost here. But I agree with what BRB and knapp have both said: when you become a single issue voter you're in danger of condoning a lot for the sake of it. At the same time, I can understand why this is the type of issue that will make a lot of people think it's worth it.

Agree wt BRB on this. It is plain to me that the Repubs have no intention of making changes - they would have, could have done so by now. They keep the issue alive just to keep people on the plantation. I've been one of those plantation sitters. But no longer. Too many issues, too much evidence that it is just lip service. As others have said, it is a societal issue just like gay marriage. We have to look at voting for people who will do the greatest good. Republican 'good intentions' do not fit the bill of 'doing good'.

• Fire 3