[Poll/Discussion] Are you optimistic or pessimistic in regards to the 2017 season?

Optimism or pessimism?  

108 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I am still amazed at how many people feel the BP fire was a bad decision. I feel we are a tremendously better program now than during his tenure. If the guy was worth anything, some team, somewhere, in the power 5 would have hired him by now. I want on the field success as much as the next guy but it was plain to see the downward spiral things were taking under Bo. The cupboard was truly left bare when he left. Great recruits didn't want to play here- plain and simple because of Bo. I believe Riley can pull off championships but it isn't going to be this year. Give the guy a little time with his system and recruiting. I believe we will get a glimpse of the future this year but in no way should any of us expect a championship this year. It took Dabo 8 years in a place much easier to recruit to than Nebraska...

I like two things here. First, don't forget about how Bo poisoned the well for our players before he left. Riley walked into a toxic situation here. He will need time to flush out all of the Bo-loving, Huskerfan-haters. That us-against-the-world mentality was exactly the opposite of what a coach should try to do at Nebraska, where we love our team with all of our hearts. Secondly, we beat Dabo in the Gator Bowl on Jan. 1, 2009. Bo declared that we were back! I bet Clemson is glad that they gave Dabo time to develop the program. They just beat Alabama for the natty, and they were worse than us 8 years ago!!!!!!

• Fire 1

The main reason I'm optimistic is beacuase of what we didn't return.

What do you mean by that?

Brainweak

I am still amazed at how many people feel the BP fire was a bad decision. I feel we are a tremendously better program now than during his tenure. If the guy was worth anything, some team, somewhere, in the power 5 would have hired him by now. I want on the field success as much as the next guy but it was plain to see the downward spiral things were taking under Bo. The cupboard was truly left bare when he left. Great recruits didn't want to play here- plain and simple because of Bo. I believe Riley can pull off championships but it isn't going to be this year. Give the guy a little time with his system and recruiting. I believe we will get a glimpse of the future this year but in no way should any of us expect a championship this year. It took Dabo 8 years in a place much easier to recruit to than Nebraska...

I like two things here. First, don't forget about how Bo poisoned the well for our players before he left. Riley walked into a toxic situation here. He will need time to flush out all of the Bo-loving, Huskerfan-haters. That us-against-the-world mentality was exactly the opposite of what a coach should try to do at Nebraska, where we love our team with all of our hearts. Secondly, we beat Dabo in the Gator Bowl on Jan. 1, 2009. Bo declared that we were back! I bet Clemson is glad that they gave Dabo time to develop the program. They just beat Alabama for the natty, and they were worse than us 8 years ago!!!!!!

Bo said we were back after beating Arizona in the Holiday Bowl.

1. The amount of people who think that is a very, very small minority. Don't confuse people being unsure of the Riley hire with still wanting Bo here. They aren't the same.

2. Dabo won the ACC in year 3, and has won at least 10 games the last 6 years. The fanbase would be elated with a conference championship. MNC's aren't on the table right now.

Dabo technically won it in his 4th year - you have to count the season that he coached over half of as his first season (the year we beat them in the Gator Bowl, coincidentally). Anyways, I'm sure he was feeling the heat after 7-6, 9-5, and 6-7 records his first three seasons.

I bet he was even feeling it after year four - despite winning the ACC, they still had 4 losses, got completely curbstomped by West Virginia (i think they just scored again), and ended the season ranked 22nd. That's a Bo Pelini type of year. Year 5 is when they hit their groove and figured it all out.

Dabo took over in game seven in 2008, but didn't actually get the contract until after the season to become HC full time. He was also a first time Head Coach, so he started surrounding himself with guys who really knew their craft (like Chad Morris and Brent Venables) when he saw areas struggling.

The point is, Dabo was a rookie read coach, and won a conference title in his 3rd year as head coach. If you want to count half a season, ok, whatever. It doesn't change the point. I guarantee NU fans would have taken that 2011 Clemson season over what we've had.

Hail Varsity did an article on it last summer, and the data shows that year 3 is a very good predictor for a coaches tenure. No more "buy-in" or "toxic culture" to blame, as the guys in the program are the current staff's players.

1. The amount of people who think that is a very, very small minority. Don't confuse people being unsure of the Riley hire with still wanting Bo here. They aren't the same.

2. Dabo won the ACC in year 3, and has won at least 10 games the last 6 years. The fanbase would be elated with a conference championship. MNC's aren't on the table right now.

Dabo technically won it in his 4th year - you have to count the season that he coached over half of as his first season (the year we beat them in the Gator Bowl, coincidentally). Anyways, I'm sure he was feeling the heat after 7-6, 9-5, and 6-7 records his first three seasons.

I bet he was even feeling it after year four - despite winning the ACC, they still had 4 losses, got completely curbstomped by West Virginia (i think they just scored again), and ended the season ranked 22nd. That's a Bo Pelini type of year. Year 5 is when they hit their groove and figured it all out.

Dabo took over in game seven in 2008, but didn't actually get the contract until after the season to become HC full time. He was also a first time Head Coach, so he started surrounding himself with guys who really knew their craft (like Chad Morris and Brent Venables) when he saw areas struggling.

The point is, Dabo was a rookie read coach, and won a conference title in his 3rd year as head coach. If you want to count half a season, ok, whatever. It doesn't change the point. I guarantee NU fans would have taken that 2011 Clemson season over what we've had.

Hail Varsity did an article on it last summer, and the data shows that year 3 is a very good predictor for a coaches tenure. No more "buy-in" or "toxic culture" to blame, as the guys in the program are the current staff's players.

So many posts make me roll my eyes. Then I get to a post like this and nod my head. Good post.

Also, to the posters that are trying to compare Riley to Dabo...Dabo was a rookie HC when he took over. Riley has 30 years under his belt.