[Poll/Discussion] Are you optimistic or pessimistic in regards to the 2017 season?

Optimism or pessimism?  

108 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I'm cautiously optimistic. I think the O will hum and produce better than we have since Martinez lost the T-Magic.

The defense is what I'm most worried about. I think the loss of Jones could be huge. A lot of unproven talent, but if the secondary lives up to its potential I'm confident we can win the west. The only offenses that would put a scare in me would be Ohio State, Penn State, and Oregon.

If the defensive backfield struggles... you can add Minnesota, Wisconsin, Purdue, Illinois, Northwestern, Arkansas State, and Iowa to that list as well.

So... cautiously optimistic.

I voted optimistic.

Qb play: improved

Rb play: same

Wr play: down but production up

OL: improved

DL: improved

LB: same

DB: same (would be improved if jones returns)

I think donte is a big improvement over Stewart. I think diaco is a big improvement over banker. Bray and diaco working with linebackers should be good. Parella I'm pretty high on. I really like our defensive staff.

I agree with your assessment of the WR. What a lot of people are missing or just not mentioning enough nationally is that our QB is going to be light years more accurate. Our WR will have better numbers even though we will be down a little with our talent level through the depth chart at wideout. We finally get that 1,000 yard receiver this season.

Cautiously optimistic with Tanner Lee at QB. I hope for improved line play on offense. Also that the young receivers core can step up. Fingers crossed that the D sees more quality, depth and turnovers caused. Wisconsin, OSU, Penn St, Oregon and NW all gonna be tough. We need to win 3 of those to take a step forward this year and not stumble in the other 7 games.

Not to be overly repetitive but as I read through the comments, I rarely see any mention of the 'special teams' which is almost 1/3rd of the team in many respects. I see no reason why we arent markedly better and we've had very little to show for this part of our team for quite some time. If we are, this can and should turn one or two losses into wins. So, by this simple measure, instead of being 8-5 or so, we could make the jump upto 10 wins. And, assuming we actually have better defensive coordination and improved quarterbacking (as opposed to having another RB with some passing thrown in there 'just to keep them honest'), the offense has a chance to be more difficult to defend because of diversity and effectiveness in scheme more so than by talent upgrade.

So many seem 'down' on our RBs and while I don't see tham as being all time Husker greats, I think we will have more than enough RB capability to get the job done. If a defense thinks that they can overplay the passing game because the RBs are not real threats they will be mistaken. While our receivers may not be 'prototype' (6-4,210 speed burners that are hard to cover), they will be faster as a group and much more able to make people miss and turn a 8 yard catch into a 20 or 30 yard gain and now and then they will go the distance. Teams will need to tackle in space very well to stop us in my view. We will need to tackle well and our D line will need to play several notches better to have the kind of season we all are yearning for. This will be critical.

I am VERY Optimistic about this year. I think if Lee is only half of what everyone says about him, he is a HUGE improvement over TA. Not taking anything away from TA, but he was very limited on his QB skills. Lee is light years ahead and I believe he will make the "O" much better. If the defense has to play the whole field, that opens things up for our offense.

I am optimistic going into this season - I always am. Realistically, though, after the last 15 seasons watching an average football team, I hope to see us become consistently more competitive against the top teams. It is a journey, and many programs are seeking to do the same. No simple solutions, just a lot of hard work.

The main reason I'm optimistic is beacuase of what we didn't return.

This is gonna be another weird year that frustrates us all idn't it?

Riley better hope not!
He gets another year even if we go the expected 6-6. Then in 2018 we will win 10 games because of talent influx alone and he will get to end up retiring here.

Nobody should get their hopes up we get a new coach anytime soon. It would take a massive failure or scandal to achieve that.

Interesting that a 6-6 season two years after a 6-7 season is not considered a massive failure.

To say nothing of 6-6 not actually being the expectation.

I agree here. If he goes 6-6 or possibly even 7-5 that seat is going to be very warm. Another one will be on absolute fire. I'm speaking about the one Eichorst sits on during games. 6-6 is just not acceptable after 6-7 and 9-4 with 62-3 and 40-10. I like Riley, but come on guys you know this place will be a dumpster fire if that happens.

• Fire 6