[Poll/Discussion] Are you optimistic or pessimistic in regards to the 2017 season?

Optimism or pessimism?  

108 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I'd say pessimistic...but it's like 55% pessimism to 45% optimism, so it's not like I'm wholly down on this team. Really wish there was a 'meh' option, because that's kinda how I am right now about our prospects.

I'm just worried that there's too many unknown variables on this team that we're depending on to pan out, including a head coach and offensive coordinator that, historically, haven't shown the best judgement during games. I'd love to see this team make Indy (which means we'd beat all in the B1G West and take Penn State or tOSU), but I think it's more realistic that this team backslides while trying to figure it all out and goes 7-5.

I like Riley, but come on guys you know this place will be a dumpster fire if that happens.

Yup. A full-on, five alarm dumpster fire. Probably enough heat too that we'll see Eichorst canned to boot. Or at the very least, his seat will become unbearably warm during the off-season.

Interesting that a 6-6 season two years after a 6-7 season is not considered a massive failure.

To say nothing of 6-6 not actually being the expectation.

I agree here. If he goes 6-6 or possibly even 7-5 that seat is going to be very warm. Another one will be on absolute fire. I'm speaking about the one Eichorst sits on during games. 6-6 is just not acceptable after 6-7 and 9-4 with 62-3 and 40-10. I like Riley, but come on guys you know this place will be a dumpster fire if that happens.

yep I love Riley and want him to succeed here but 6-6 would be a disaster in year 3. We need to be in the mix for a west division title regardless of what happens in Eugene though it would be nice to pick up a victory there as well.
  • Fire 1

Interesting that a 6-6 season two years after a 6-7 season is not considered a massive failure.

To say nothing of 6-6 not actually being the expectation.

Yeah, 6-6 would be pretty terrible and largely consdidered a failure. But it would not get him fired. It would take 4-8 or worse for that to be a realistic outcome.

And you're missing the point. Personally I will consider anything below 9 wins a failure. I'm talking what it would take to make Riley not be coach in 2018. 4-8 or worse IMO.

I voted optimistic.

Qb play: improved

Rb play: same

Wr play: down but production up

OL: improved

DL: improved

LB: same

DB: same (would be improved if jones returns)

I think donte is a big improvement over Stewart. I think diaco is a big improvement over banker. Bray and diaco working with linebackers should be good. Parella I'm pretty high on. I really like our defensive staff.

I agree with everything, Diaco being DC will help us and also I expect better results from Langsdorf with his QB at the helm.

7-5 will make it warm

6-6 and he will "retire"

He will "retire" because if SE has to fire him there is NO chance that SE will get to be around to hire another football coach.

4-8 or worse. 5-7 would be close, but he would end up retained for the sole reason of courting the replacement foe a full season and making the transition smoother.

7-5 will make it warm

6-6 and he will "retire"

He will "retire" because if SE has to fire him there is NO chance that SE will get to be around to hire another football coach.

4-8 or worse. 5-7 would be close, but he would end up retained for the sole reason of courting the replacement foe a full season and making the transition smoother.
I just think SE knows that he has to save his own ass first. Who knows though, hopefully they just have an awesome year!

I agree at 4-8 Riley is gone and buying a paintless house in Oregon the day after the season ends

• Fire 1

7-5 will make it warm

6-6 and he will "retire"

Eh, I don't think so. At that point, you're looking for a new AD too.

7-5 will make it warm

6-6 and he will "retire"

Eh, I don't think so. At that point, you're looking for a new AD too.

This. New president and chancellor will hire their AD choice and that AD will hire his football coach. New bosses is a big factor as boosters will be all over them.

• Fire 1

I'd say I'm cautiously optimistic about the season as a whole and overall future outlook, but wary about the near-term because of all the transitions this year and inexperience at several positions.

I am always optomistic before every season. I am always optomistic before every game. It is a football game and team. It is not life or death, it is for fun.

With that being said, if things come together like I think they can we can win 10-11 games. They probably won't, but I have a hard time seeing anything less than 8 wins.

Cautiously optimistic. I think we will do better than the preseason predictions are stating. Based on 2 things: Tanner Lee I think will surprise on O and our new DC will inspire the D. However, there are enough 'unknowns' on this team to see it go the other way. Which if it does, would make for a long season knowing that MR has his QB and his system fully in place.

I would agree that QB play and depth alone should make a huge difference. So, needless to say, I expect much improvement from the offense. I also am expecting the defense to be improved even if it is a new system and new DC. Our D was certainly nothing special under Banker so I just don't see it doing anything except improving. The real key (like usual) will be line production. If the O line does okay/better and the D line can generate some pressure then we might have something.

IMO, if we want to get to at least 9 wins the pivotal games will be Oregon, Wiscy and PSU. Need to pick up 1 or 2 of those, and of course we can't stumble with any of the teams we should beat. If we're still struggling with Minnesota, Northwestern and/or Iowa, it likely will be a long season that may end up as bad as the pundits predict.

And yeah, I think 6 or 7 losses would be a catastrophic failure. Riley might very well survive a performance like that but I sure would be planning for his replacement at that point. This is his team, his players and his systems now. No more excuses.

• Fire 3