[Poll/Discussion] Are you optimistic or pessimistic in regards to the 2017 season?

Optimism or pessimism?  

108 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I have no clue how the season will go. I can see a death spiral to 4-8, but then I can also see us winning the West at 10-2.

I want to be optimistic

- Riley has his system QB and the behind the scenes hype is off the charts

- Diaco is light years ahead of Banker as a DC

- A healthy o-line (for now) and some depth with the young pups

- We get Wisconsin, Iowa, and NW at home. Sweep those games and we are sitting pretty

But then I am pessimistic

- Lee was nothing special at Tulane and could be another interception machine

- Breaking in a new system on D. Do the players fit the system? Will they pick up the system?

- O-line would have got a non-mobile QB killed last year.

- Oregon, Ohio St, and Penn St games have the potential to be 50-13 blowouts

• Fire 2

If Riley goes 4-8 this year and ADSE is forced to make a change he will. His tenure will be decided by the replacement he chooses.

ADSE already fired the last coach and hired Riley. His tenure is attached to Riley.
No, it's not. At least it doesn't have to be. If this year starts really badly and he makes a move mid season he will easily save his job. He was brought in to fire Bo and change the culture. He has done that.

Me, I still believe ADSE hired Riley to change the face of the program and give a boost to recruiting. He was never hired as the be all end all answer to getting Nebraska back to the top echelon of College Football, he was hired as a placeholder. If he gets us some division or conference titles along the way, icing on the cake. This wasn't a cause and effect hire, this was a bigger picture hire. Hopefully it pans out, and by that I mean Riley can deliver a couple back to back impressive seasons to hang his whistle on and make the next guys job easier.

• Fire 1

If Riley goes 4-8 this year and ADSE is forced to make a change he will. His tenure will be decided by the replacement he chooses.

Man 8 losses. I would be shocked if that happened. What is the worst college season Riley has had?

We won't lose 8, most we lose is probably 5 if I'm being completely honest. And a 7-5 year even with a bowl loss to top it off doesn't see Riley removed.

• Fire 1

Man 8 losses. I would be shocked if that happened. What is the worst college season Riley has had?

Riley went 3-9 in 2011. That must have been a really toxic team.

Was that after Erickson left? He probably did leave toxins behind.

Nope. Year 9.

Nope. Year 9.

Ugggg...Oh

Interesting that a 6-6 season two years after a 6-7 season is not considered a massive failure.

To say nothing of 6-6 not actually being the expectation.

I think everyone would consider a 6-6 season a failure, especially the people who seem to be expecting a 6-6 season.

The slightly different question is what would it take to get Riley fired after Game 12 this season.

And I'm not sure why we'd be that cranky in July about a season that hasn't been played yet.

• Fire 2