Joel Klatt says Texas ruined the Big 12

“I hate it,” Klatt said. “Missouri is playing in the SEC. Nebraska is in the Big Ten. Colorado is in the Pac-12. It’s sad.”

As for why and how it all fell apart, Klatt doesn’t hold back. He knows exactly who caused the Big 12’s problems.

“What people fail to remember about the Big 12 is that the Big 12 saved Texas and the Texas schools,” Klatt said. “Texas brought along Texas Tech, Texas A&M and Baylor, and [the Big 12] saved a fledgling Southwest Conference.

“The balance of power was in the north. Colorado and Nebraska were the preeminent brands at the time the Big 12 formed. Nebraska gave a lot of concessions. They allowed Oklahoma, a traditional rival for them, to be in another division. They didn’t put their foot down. As Texas became so difficult to deal with and demanded more and more and getting more money, I understand why it blew up.

“Texas wanted more than they should have, and based on the inception of the conference, that wasn’t right. Texas knows it. They ruined two conferences, so that’s on them. And now we don’t have Colorado-Nebraska anymore.”

Landof10

• Fire 6

That is probably the first time I have ever heard someone in the media actual address the elephant in the room that is Texas and how their ego has ruined the not just one but two conferences.

I agree. Some actual truth about something for once. Klatt is great on color too. Hard to say that about a CU guy, but he's good.

It has always been obvious that Texas ruined everything and Nebraska pretty much had no choice at the time but to bail for the Big Ten.

We all miss the Oklahoma and Colorado games, but Kansas St and the occasional Iowa St games were great too. Just being able to drive to these games was the best. Now it's a hassle to go to road games...and expensive!

Does anyone else really feel Iowa is a rival? Or Northwestern, Wisconsin, etc? We haven't even played Michigan since 2013.

Big Ten move was necessary, but certainly not as much fun. AND THERE ARE TOO MANY OTHER RED TEAMS. The Sea of Red doesn't mean as much as it used too, in many ways.