Gender/Transgender In The Military & In General

13 hours ago, BigRedBuster said:

Maybe I’ve mentioned this before, but here is a thought I’ve slways had on this. 

If if our country needs defended, why SHOULDN’T people in groups like this help defend it?

Why should we just depend on white, male, straight people to go die for our country?

Why would we let foreigners or other people "who don't belong here" fight for our country?

-Mike Pence

Chimi - thank you so much for sharing this.  I see you.  I hear you.  I support you.  

I’m grateful you shared here as I have little doubt that those who dont know a trans person have never thought about all the things you mention.  Your post will help more than one person here on HB to think differently, to speak more carefully, to be more aware and accepting. 

I think you are courageous.  And confident. To be able to decide to make the change must have been terrifying.   I have a neighbor that is pretty much square in the same situation you describe.  Straddling how she presents in public in order to be employable and feel safe.  My boss on the other hand made the transition in her 50’s (I think) and has been embraced - but that acceptance came with her millions of dollars, influence and extreme business success as a man prior to her transitioning.  I'll tell you more about her in a PM. 

Anyway.  Thank you. For trusting us all enough to share.  You are a beautiful person.  

• Plus1 2

27 minutes ago, NM11046 said:

Chimi - thank you so much for sharing this.  I see you.  I hear you.  I support you.  

I’m grateful you shared here as I have little doubt that those who dont know a trans person have never thought about all the things you mention.  Your post will help more than one person here on HB to think differently, to speak more carefully, to be more aware and accepting. 

I think you are courageous.  And confident. To be able to decide to make the change must have been terrifying.   I have a neighbor that is pretty much square in the same situation you describe.  Straddling how she presents in public in order to be employable and feel safe.  My boss on the other hand made the transition in her 50’s (I think) and has been embraced - but that acceptance came with her millions of dollars, influence and extreme business success as a man prior to her transitioning.  I'll tell you more about her in a PM. 

Anyway.  Thank you. For trusting us all enough to share.  You are a beautiful person.  

Thank you for the kind words, they really mean a lot.    

I guess I've always wanted to make a post like that, but never thought it was worth creating a thread for/about.  Plus I always had in the back of my mind the snickers, drive-bys, and jokes that would invariably come my way.  And I thought, do the benefits of making this known out-weigh the crap I will receive?  For a long time, the answer was a resounding no.  I'm still not sure if the benefits will out-weigh the negative, but I figured since this thread was posted, now is as good of a time as any.

And hopefully my post will encourage others to come forward and share their transition story/experiences.

• Plus1 2

@Making Chimichangas If nothing else your post will humanize an issue that a lot of people never deal with personally. 

I've interacted with transgender individuals before, but not very much. Just one year when I was an undergraduate in school.

It's incredibly beneficial for people to get perspective for people who have maybe never discussed these issues with a trans individual to get your insight on the matter. I doubt very many of us that haven't been through your journey spend very much time considering the hard realities of everything you just shared with us.

Thank you for sharing. It's amazing how open you are about it and I'm really glad you decided to tell your story. What a wonderful addition to this thread. I'm sorry about all the hurdles you've had to go through in all of this. I hope things work out for you and I would strongly encourage you to continue on whatever path is right for you in life. It is never too late to continue working towards a future that will make you happy if it is what you really want. In the end, we're a board about football, but I think everyone here enjoys the bonds we make with our HB friends and only wants them to find happiness and peace in life.

Oh, and I agree with you, 100%; Huckabee, Pence et al. are bigoted, moralizing idiots. It pains me as one who professes to be a Christian that people like them wield their faith as a weapon to discriminate against and hurt others.

• Plus1 3
3 hours ago, Clifford Franklin said:

@Making Chimichangas If nothing else your post will humanize an issue that a lot of people never deal with personally. 

I've interacted with transgender individuals before, but not very much. Just one year when I was an undergraduate in school.

It's incredibly beneficial for people to get perspective for people who have maybe never discussed these issues with a trans individual to get your insight on the matter. I doubt very many of us that haven't been through your journey spend very much time considering the hard realities of everything you just shared with us.

Thank you for sharing. It's amazing how open you are about it and I'm really glad you decided to tell your story. What a wonderful addition to this thread. I'm sorry about all the hurdles you've had to go through in all of this. I hope things work out for you and I would strongly encourage you to continue on whatever path is right for you in life. It is never too late to continue working towards a future that will make you happy if it is what you really want. In the end, we're a board about football, but I think everyone here enjoys the bonds we make with our HB friends and only wants them to find happiness and peace in life.

Oh, and I agree with you, 100%; Huckabee, Pence et al. are bigoted, moralizing idiots. It pains me as one who professes to be a Christian that people like them wield their faith as a weapon to discriminate against and hurt others.

Thank you also for the kind words.  They are truly appreciated.

5 hours ago, NM11046 said:

I look forward to reading more about your boss.  She sounds like a fascinating person.  And about transitioning, I am definitely ready but financially I just can't do it.  I am barely making ends meet now and simply cannot afford all the doctors visits, hormones, etc.  I could get a second job I suppose, but then I'd have no free time to go to any doctors appointments.  

Back when I initially started transitioning, I had 3 doctors appointments a week.  1 with my normal doctor, 1 with the endocrinologist, and 1 with the therapist.  The job I had started later in the afternoon so all my appointments could be done in the morning.  It was a beautiful time.  I would love to actually begin, and complete my transition.  I don't know how I can do it though.  Maybe I should set up a gofundme page.

Hey MC, thank you so much for sharing and I'm really sorry about all the ridiculous and unnecessary hardships you've had to go through. I also feel like I understand you and your posts better after hearing a bit of your backstory. I've got more I want to say in this topic but I'm a bit too drunk for it right now and it's 4:45AM so I'm just hoping somebody will eventually quote me and I'll get a notification that will remind me to add more thoughts when I sober up. Cheers, friend.

• Plus1 1

4 hours ago, Landlord said:

Hey MC, thank you so much for sharing and I'm really sorry about all the ridiculous and unnecessary hardships you've had to go through. I also feel like I understand you and your posts better after hearing a bit of your backstory. I've got more I want to say in this topic but I'm a bit too drunk for it right now and it's 4:45AM so I'm just hoping somebody will eventually quote me and I'll get a notification that will remind me to add more thoughts when I sober up. Cheers, friend.

Consider this your tickler to call me back sober to comment .... 

That's what bothers me so much with the North Carolina bathroom bill. Conservatives complain about transgender people wanting 3rd bathrooms or using the wrong bathroom, and they complain about all the media attention on the "issue," but it was a GOP bill that made it an issue in the first place.

Not to get off topic but I don't understand why we have to seperate the bathrooms in the first place. I've been in places with coed bathrooms and it was pretty much exactly the same as seperated bathrooms. Everyone is just in there to do their business. 

• Plus1 3

@Making Chimichangas I'm curious as to your thoughts on how transgendered service members might be treated or if that's an issue to be concerned with.  In my perfect bubble I like to believe that as long as someone (women, transgendered woman/man, gay etc) is capable and willing to fight and serve there are no issues.  Now I'm also realistic enough to know that there is predjudice and danger for LGBT folks anywhere.  Do you think it's better/worse/different in the military?  How do you feel about this new ruling that came down?

And on a side note - new show called Rise from the same folks at Friday Night Lights and it's great so far.  There's actually a high school kid transitioning from female to male and it gives me hope to see how kids are so much more open to "whatever".  He just asked to be able to change in the same room as the boys and they were indifferent  (I know it's a show, but I see that with children and kids now days as well - race, religion, gay, straight, transgendered - whatever, want to play?)  Hoping more examples like this in the main stream make it a topic easier to talk about and to understand.  There are so many great documentaries and interviews out there, if people would just be open to wanting to understand.

26 minutes ago, Nebfanatic said:

Not to get off topic but I don't understand why we have to seperate the bathrooms in the first place. I've been in places with coed bathrooms and it was pretty much exactly the same as seperated bathrooms. Everyone is just in there to do their business. 

It's so men won't find out that women go #2.

• Plus1 1