Do husker fans today have lower expectations?

Again, Harrington is a bad example because he was busted time and time again and he finally was told to leave after many issues. So many that his fellow players wanted him gone. Hasn't Riley kicked a few players off of the team in the past? I guess those instances don't count as accountability? Lawrence Phillips? The Peter brothers? Did UNL fans talk about accountability when Coach Osborne was winning? Of course not because winning cures all ailments.

I can't comment on Keith Williams or Keyshawn Jr. because I don't know either and I haven't set foot in the state of Nebraska. I don't presume to know anything and I try not to make opinions based on crap I've read on the internet. I'm a cop. You don't need to explain to me the issues of DUII. But I also form judgements based on what I see, evidence and patterns. I suggest you do the same unless you personally know or have seen issues with either man.

You last paragraph makes me ask this: Have you even gone to college? Drug use, alcohol and disorderly conduct are par for the course. They happen everywhere. Do you really think UNL is any worse than Ohio State? Did you see what was going on at Florida when Urb was coach there? You think it's different now? Has that hurt Urb's recruiting at OSU? The quick and correct answer is no.

• Fire 1

I absolutely think we can be great again. We have loyal fans who sell out the stadium, set records for volleyball games, and even get five digits to watch the basketball team. Our program has many assets. This place can be special again.

We need a great coach with a great scheme and who can keep a loyal staff together. I'm so glad that we didn't kick out Osborne in 1977. We need some patience. It was 23 years between 71 and 94, and it's been 20 years between 97 and now. What we need to STOP doing is having a revolving door for coaches. How many DB coaches have we had in the last five years? How are we supposed to establish a program or a scheme with a new coach every year? Where is George Darlington!?

I hope Mike Riley is the man. He says the right things about our history. He seems to be recruiting well. He is only now just replacing the players in the old scheme with the players for his scheme. You have to at least allow his recruits to graduate before you can evaluate his program.

• Fire 3

For starters, a slap on the wrist for Keith William's 3rd DUI after they full on knew about the 1st two DUI's AND the third one happened a couple of hours after recruiting a 5 Star recruit and his family! All of this just tells the Players and Coaches, you can get a way with almost anything and we will look the other way.

Then the coaches leaking to players when random drug tests are to be administered. This is a huge breech and tells players that they can party all they want right after the tests are done. Coaches allowing recruits to go to frat parties all night long on the weekends that they are in Lincoln and getting wasted out of their minds. Keyshawn came there every other week last Fall while still in High School because of the lax oversight and all of the drugs and parties. He is obviously the biggest casualty of not having any accountability, with coaches AND players looking the other way.

Why has there been no punishments yet for Stanly Morgan or Antonio Reed?

There is plenty more that has been going on for way, way too long now and this is a direct reflection on the entire team, coaches and athletic dep't. If these things are allowed to continue and there is certainly no signs that they are stopping anytime soon, then this team will continue to go nowhere but to mediocrity or worse.

There is a lot to digest in here...

Harrington is not a bad example, it's a show of leadership from above, that no matter who you are, doesn't matter here. If you don't like our rules, then go elsewhere, but you aren't playing here anymore. We will not stand for it. We are better that that and one guy will not be treated differently anymore.

You're OK with a slap on the wrist for Keith William's 3rd DUI after they full on knew about the 1st two DUI's AND the third one happened a couple of hours after recruiting a 5 Star recruit and his family? ...And god only knows how many hundreds of other times he drove drunk before this one too.

You're OK with Keyshawn coming there every other week last Fall while still in High School because of the lax oversight and all of the drugs and parties? Getting blitzed out of his mind on alcohol and many other types of drugs. This was very well known, he was seen constantly at these parties and the coaching staff just looked the other way.

These are the accountability issues. If you don't care and you think it's OK, then that is the biggest problem of all. These are MAJOR ACCOUNTABILITY issues. There has to be accountability to teammates...on a football team, in the military, in the business office and at home. If you don't have these things then everything is broken from the inside on up.

And if you don't think that other coaches and teams around the country aren't telling other recruits about what's happening inside this broken down joke of an administration, then you're just blind to what's happening out there in the world of college sports and the world in general. They are recruiting as hard as possible and will use whatever tactics available to take from Nebraska and everyone else. And if we just hand them the ammunition AND the gun, then it's our own suicide that we are committing.

For some reason you think FB players drinking, smoking refer, and doing things that other college students do on college campuses is something new and only takes place at Nebraska. This type of thing goes on everywhere and has gone on everywhere since the invention of college. I think you are really nieve to think that this type of stuff only goes on at Nebraska and that other coaches are telling recruits that Nebraska is a rotton to the core program.

As far as KJjr coming to campus last fall to party if you say he did he did than I say I have no evidence that he didn't. That is on his parents. If he is spending his own dime to come to campus and before he has signed a letter of intent and is enrolled in college, there is no type of discipline that MR can put out on him. I guess he could have pulled his offer which is what I think you would have liked him to do.

I

• Fire 2

Saying we're 'settling for mediocrity' is just not accurate. I don't think fans are 'settlling' at all but I think their expecations are more realistic is all. Nebraska fans, as a group, know football and are aware of the capabilities of the team as compared with other teams. There have been some years where expecations were unrealistically high and perhaps once or twice unrealistically low. I would say this year, national perceptions, are unrealistically low (I sure hope so) and Nebraska fans particularly are very realistic (cautiously optimistic).

To say Nebraska fans are accepting of medicore football is NOT true. Just because we don't get the pitchforks and torches and go up to the stadium and have a good old fashioned lynchin' and burn the stadium to the ground is not indication fans are happy or contented or 'accepting' or 'settling'. Riley and Company are on a short but realistic time frame for delivering more hope for improvement. The fans are willing to give Riley time because, after 18 years of gravitation into meodicority, we, down deep, understand the rise back up will take real time measured in years, not months and will not be easy. We are more comfortable with Riley because, while we as fans can lose our tempers and behave completely stupidly each and every week the outcome of the games is not what we would have loved to see, we don't want our coaches to look like a---holes and fools in front of national TV audiences.

Excellent response- exactly my thoughts as well.

• Fire 1

I would almost not want to be there OR watch on TV. Too many commercials and official interruptions. Every time they stop the game on first and goal to review a big catch, really just benefits, unfairly, the defense who just got smoked. I need to figure out a DVR system for cable

Expectations revolve. Even when TO was coach, there was a time where we expected to lose to OU. There was a short time in the early 90's where we expected to lose to CU. Then, there was a time we expected to win every game. It's just like when we lose a great player. I don't know of any fans who expected great things in 02' after Crouch had graduated. We are not going to win every game this year. However, I expect us to play hard and be competitive in every game.

• Fire 1

It goes like this. If you like having Riley as our coach, you've settled for mediocre. If not, you haven't.

(I usually don't like posting such negativity, but everyone is avoiding the issue, intentional or not. And yes, I know a lot will disagree).

That's pretty spot on. I think Riley is a great guy, and I want him to succeed, but I just don't see him ever being super successful at NU.

It goes like this. If you like having Riley as our coach, you've settled for mediocre. If not, you haven't.

(I usually don't like posting such negativity, but everyone is avoiding the issue, intentional or not. And yes, I know a lot will disagree).

That's pretty spot on. I think Riley is a great guy, and I want him to succeed, but I just don't see him ever being super successful at NU.

Don't believe everything you think, or type. Especially this load of BS.

Well at least you gave him a fair chance :facepalm: and are ignoring his willingness to make changes :facepalm: .

But that's okay, whatever fits your narrative.

Well at least you gave him a fair chance :facepalm: and are ignoring his willingness to make changes :facepalm: .

But that's okay, whatever fits your narrative.

I find it ironic that people forget what was posted here in the past and now, in a complete about face, suggest the opposite (I don't know if that was you or the other posters who replied to my post asserted that but it was the general narrative here). People were mad that Bo "only" won 9 or 10 a season because that wasn't enough, and now if Riley won 9 or 10, it would be viewed as a success.