DB DeAndre West

Player: DeAndre West

Hometown: Oakland, CA

Position: DB

Height: 6’1

Weight: 197

40 time: 4.45

Visit Date:

Scholarships offered: Washington State, San Diego State, Boise State, Nebraska, Arizona, UCLA and Utah

Favorites: Committed to Nebraska

Rankings/Stars:

Rivals:

Bid Red Report:

Assessing the talent: Solid all around athlete. Projects as a big, physical DB. "Gumbs said West carries a 3.0 GPA and has already met his qualifying SAT score." -Oakland prep football standout commits to Huskers

Odds of becoming a Cornhusker: 15% Has had Big Red dreams for some time now. Dennis Wagner is recruiting him.

I hope he is the steal his high school coach says he is.

You know, you always get that 'coach speak', where the coach talks up their player no matter what. But in DeAndre's case, you read what his coach has to say and he just sends the confidence into you about DeAndre and what he will do for Nebraska.

Oakland prep football standout commits to Huskers

BY BRIAN ROSENTHAL / Lincoln Journal Star

Monday, May 15, 2006 - 09:18:54 pm CDT

DeAndre West lives just down the street from the Oakland Coliseum. He grew up an Oakland Raiders fan.

And, not surprisingly, he knew a thing or two about Bill Callahan long before the Nebraska football coach began recruiting West, a standout at Wilson Prep in Oakland, Calif.

“He’s a good coach,” West said of Callahan, the former Raiders coach who led Oakland to the Super Bowl. “That’s why I chose to play for him, because of the things he’s done for (Nebraska).”

West, a 6-foot-1, 190-pound defensive back prospect, became Nebraska’s second oral commitment for the 2007 class when he phoned Callahan and NU assistant coach Dennis Wagner on Monday morning.

Advertisement

It ends a 132-day drought of no oral commitments for the Huskers. West joins Omaha North wide receiver Niles Paul, who committed on Jan. 3.

West, who received a Nebraska offer within the last two months, had only one other written offer, from Boise State, said Wilson Prep coach Desmond Gumbs. Oregon State, UCLA and San Diego State were also showing heavy interest, Gumbs said.

“I’ve been coaching football for 12 years,” Gumbs said, “and by far, he’s the best that I’ve coached.”

West plays running back and linebacker for Wilson Prep, a fourth-year school that’s only in its second year of having a football program. As a junior, West ran for more than 1,500 yards and scored 17 touchdowns — four receiving — while registering some 140 tackles.

“He’s very physical. He reminds me of Jack Tatum on defense,” Gumbs said, referring to the legendary Oakland Raiders safety. “He’ll tackle through you. He’s extremely explosive and always around the ball. Physically, he’s very impressive.”

West is also the team’s punter, and he scored twice on fake punts. He also returned a kickoff for a touchdown. Those plays, Gumbs said, are on West’s highlight tape sent to Nebraska.

West, whose lead recruiter was Wagner, has yet to visit Lincoln. He said he’ll visit unofficially next month and take his first — and only — official visit in the fall.

Gumbs said West carries a 3.0 GPA and has already met his qualifying SAT score.

“He’s a really good student, and just an incredible athlete,” Gumbs said. “He’s a guy who I feel will make a big impact wherever he goes.”

Reach Brian Rosenthal at 473-7436 or

• 6 months later...

Oakland prep football standout commits to Huskers

BY BRIAN ROSENTHAL / Lincoln Journal Star

Monday, May 15, 2006 - 09:18:54 pm CDT

DeAndre West lives just down the street from the Oakland Coliseum. He grew up an Oakland Raiders fan.

And, not surprisingly, he knew a thing or two about Bill Callahan long before the Nebraska football coach began recruiting West, a standout at Wilson Prep in Oakland, Calif.

“He’s a good coach,” West said of Callahan, the former Raiders coach who led Oakland to the Super Bowl. “That’s why I chose to play for him, because of the things he’s done for (Nebraska).”

West, a 6-foot-1, 190-pound defensive back prospect, became Nebraska’s second oral commitment for the 2007 class when he phoned Callahan and NU assistant coach Dennis Wagner on Monday morning.

Advertisement

It ends a 132-day drought of no oral commitments for the Huskers. West joins Omaha North wide receiver Niles Paul, who committed on Jan. 3.

West, who received a Nebraska offer within the last two months, had only one other written offer, from Boise State, said Wilson Prep coach Desmond Gumbs. Oregon State, UCLA and San Diego State were also showing heavy interest, Gumbs said.

“I’ve been coaching football for 12 years,” Gumbs said, “and by far, he’s the best that I’ve coached.”

West plays running back and linebacker for Wilson Prep, a fourth-year school that’s only in its second year of having a football program. As a junior, West ran for more than 1,500 yards and scored 17 touchdowns — four receiving — while registering some 140 tackles.

“He’s very physical. He reminds me of Jack Tatum on defense,” Gumbs said, referring to the legendary Oakland Raiders safety. “He’ll tackle through you. He’s extremely explosive and always around the ball. Physically, he’s very impressive.”

West is also the team’s punter, and he scored twice on fake punts. He also returned a kickoff for a touchdown. Those plays, Gumbs said, are on West’s highlight tape sent to Nebraska.

West, whose lead recruiter was Wagner, has yet to visit Lincoln. He said he’ll visit unofficially next month and take his first — and only — official visit in the fall.

Gumbs said West carries a 3.0 GPA and has already met his qualifying SAT score.

“He’s a really good student, and just an incredible athlete,” Gumbs said. “He’s a guy who I feel will make a big impact wherever he goes.”

Reach Brian Rosenthal at 473-7436 or

I'm glad to hear he passed his SAT. I heard somewhere he needed to take it again.