2019 Husker Football Schedule

Mavric

6 minutes ago, Street Novelist said:

9-3 looks do-able. Ohio State, Wisconsin and Iowa should be the tough ones.

So, curious what others think about this record?  Would we take it if it happened?

This means we win two Home games and lose three Home games against B1G.  It means we go 6-3 verses B1G and also means we lose and probably place 2nd in our side of the conference.

I'm expecting 8-4 ... but for those that are happy with 9-3, I really wonder what they think of this scenario.

• Plus1 1
12 minutes ago, BigRedN said:

So, curious what others think about this record?  Would we take it if it happened?

This means we win two Home games and lose three Home games against B1G.  It means we go 6-3 verses B1G and also means we lose and probably place 2nd in our side of the conference.

I'm expecting 8-4 ... but for those that are happy with 9-3, I really wonder what they think of this scenario.

So, you're predicting 8-4 and you're wondering how anyone could be happy with 9-3? I take it you would not be happy with 9-3 so therefore are already unhappy and planning to stay that way. Tough way to go through life imo.

To answer your first question, we will "take" whatever happens no matter what. What other choice is there?

As far as being "happy" with 9-3, I hope there is a lot more that gets factored in for people than simply the record at the end of the season. I mean 9-3 surely is a huge improvement over 4-8, so in that aspect it would be good. But I'll reserve judgement until I see how each game goes. I could be happy with 9-3 but I also could be unhappy with 11-1.

• Fire 1

@JJ Husker, um, as in years past, most folks seem to expect far more than what they should in the drinking of the red koolaid.  Example, last year.

So, for those expecting a 9-3 season, I simply was seeking perspectives on how those folks would feel about losing those three home games.  My feeling would be those folks with those expectations would probably be upset we list three home games even though we went 9-3 as they expected.

For me, I'd be tickled to go 8-4 ... but my question had nothing to do with my opinion or my own projected record.  

13 hours ago, Street Novelist said:

I'd be thrilled if we went 9-3. 

Me as well ... just don't believe that the fans will say this if we lose those home games to Ohio State, Wisconsin and Iowa, with two of those loses being to those in our own side of the conference.  Yes, 9-3 is good now ... but it we get to the end of the season and these are the loses ... I expect frustration from the fans.

Glad to hear you won't be one of those.

As I disregard records, personally, I think I will be disappointed if we lose to both Wisky and Iowa.  I think the program needs to win at least one of those to start to turn the tide to these two programs that have laid us out.  To go 9-3 and lose to these two teams just doesn't sit well with me.  I'd rather go 8-4 or 7-5 and beat one of these teams or both.  

My two cents.

• Plus1 1
  • Fire 1

I have seen nine win seasons that made me proud and others that made me feel we were stagnant.   I think more than the actual record it will be an interesting season to gauge progress and growth.  Has the intensity, attitude and culture changed from last year?  Is there genuine "buy-in" of the Frost system, which should begin to be highly evident after the first full year?  Is the defense out of place?  Do they tackle with form?  Is the offense more fluid and executing without confusion?  How is the development of one of the most promising young QBs in the nation?   

I don't expect to win the B1G yet, but how far SF has taken this program towards being "relevant" in his second year is what this season is for me..  A nine or even eight win season where we are in every game, don't give up big plays and commit foolish penalties will be plenty promising for me regardless if it is 8 or 9 wins.

The nation used to hate us when we were elite, but during that long absence a common opinion grew across the nation that college football is better when we are in the national picture.  Attention and recruiting will be very high if we succeed in doubling wins.     

22 hours ago, HuskerPowerVA said:

I have seen nine win seasons that made me proud and others that made me feel we were stagnant.  

^^^^^

If Bo taught us anything, it was that the total amount of wins doesn't really matter too much and the same number can feel pretty mediocre or pretty great. 

If we go 9-3, that's obviously improvement on paper, but if we do it with losses similar to Michigan and Northwestern last year, that will be cause for concern.

• Plus1 2
2 hours ago, Landlord said:

^^^^^

If Bo taught us anything, it was that the total amount of wins doesn't really matter too much and the same number can feel pretty mediocre or pretty great. 

If we go 9-3, that's obviously improvement on paper, but if we do it with losses similar to Michigan and Northwestern last year, that will be cause for concern.

My exact thought.  Progress should not be measured by win total alone (at this time).  

• 1 month later...
2 hours ago, The Dude said:

Maybe it's just me, but I wouldn't be surprised if Iowa goes 6-6 this year.  A lot of people seem to be considering them a favorite to win the division and I just don't see it.

They have literally been picked 1-6. 

Program stability and QB stability is what is giving them a very slight edge in a very unstable division. On the other hand, I agree with you....they’ve benefited over the years with soft conference schedules and by comparison this one is brutal. Could be staring at an 0-4 October.

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/18/2019 at 6:31 AM, The Dude said:

Maybe it's just me, but I wouldn't be surprised if Iowa goes 6-6 this year.  A lot of people seem to be considering them a favorite to win the division and I just don't see it.

My Iowa fan buddy just chimed in this week:

When Iowa is supposed to be 7-5 they play lights out. When people are talking winning the West and having the best D-Lineman in the country......they fall flat. 

• Mavric unpinned this topic