DE John Waggoner [Iowa - Signed LOI]

Mavric

HuskerBoard Predictor  

19 members have voted

1. 1. To which school will Waggoner commit?

This poll is closed to new votes

Player: John Waggoner
Hometown: West Des Moines, Iowa
School: Dowling Catholic
Position: Defensive End
Height: 6-5
Weight: 240
40 time:
Offers: Arkansas, Florida, Indiana, Iowa, Iowa State, LSU, Michigan, Minnesota, Nebraska, Ohio State, Oklahoma, Oregon, Penn State, UCLA
Visits:

Twitter

247 Composite: #226 Overall; #11 WDE; .9161;  :star:star:star:star

Rivals: #16 SDE; :star:star:star:star
247: #183 Overall; #10 WDE; :star:star:star:star
Scout: #192 Overall; #9 WDE; :star:star:star:star
ESPN: #296 Overall; #30 DE; :star:star:star:star

Hudl

I would guess if the kid has held off committing this long that he will take visits and decide after the season. May be some interest there, so we may as well offer and see of we can get a visit.

I agree. He was gonna commit about a month ago (presumably to Iowa), but then something changed and he decided to hold off.

Quick google gave me this article from the end of June

Planned to commit in July

The visits taken with his mom or dad — Oregon, Iowa State, LSU, Penn State, Ohio State and Iowa, in that order — are likely leading to a coveted July verbal commitment.

“Once we realized May was for evaluations, we could spend June making the actual visits,” Waggoner said Tuesday night. “And it would be nice to get a decision out of the way before the season, so I can actually focus on school and my senior season.”

DE is not a position of need for Iowa

The Hawkeyes hosted him for his last visit and have been straightforward in their approach. Defensive end is not a position of need, especially with five-star A.J. Epenesa coming out of the 2017 class, but Iowa can capably pitch player development and a tight-knit team.

He is a ND fan and may be waiting for an offer from the Irish

He grew up a Notre Dame fan. And other coaches know the Catholic college could disrupt a verbal commitment plan by showing interest soon.

Waggoner isn’t worried about hypothetical offers with strong, tangible ones on the table right now. But he’s already taken an unofficial visit to South Bend, Ind., and wouldn’t rule out the traditional power ahead of his senior season.

“That was always my childhood dream,” Waggoner said.

• Fire 1

Why does it take us so long to offer a top 10 DE in the country that lives 2 hours away?

Being so close, even w/o an offer you would think we would have tried to get him on campus for an unofficial last fall, spring, or this summer.

Maybe we did contact him and he never seemed interested in us. Its odd.

• 2 weeks later...

• 3 months later...
  • Mavric changed the title to DE John Waggoner [Iowa Commit]