Jump to content


*** Obi-Wan Kenobi Series Official Thread ***


Recommended Posts


On 5/28/2022 at 5:57 PM, default_28 said:

I enjoyed the first two episodes, but I’m not a big star wars fan so I’m easier to please than some of the more diehard fans. More engaging than some of the other recent Star Wars shows imo.

Yeah, I’m enjoying it too. I’d rather Obi-Wan wasn’t so depressed and defeated but am hopeful that will change. I think it is the perfect timeline gap to be filling. I mean who wouldn’t want to know what happened between ROTS and A New Hope?…But I’m not a hardcore Star Wars nerd, I haven’t delved into the clone wars or rebels.

Link to comment
On 6/6/2022 at 11:50 AM, JJ Husker said:

Yeah, I’m enjoying it too. I’d rather Obi-Wan wasn’t so depressed and defeated but am hopeful that will change. I think it is the perfect timeline gap to be filling. I mean who wouldn’t want to know what happened between ROTS and A New Hope?…But I’m not a hardcore Star Wars nerd, I haven’t delved into the clone wars or rebels.

I think depressed and defeated Obi-Wan is warranted. The man experienced first hand a genocide of his people that was perpetrated by a man he thought was his brother. I have no issue with him just existing in the first couple episodes. Its just as soon as he gets roped in by Bail to rescue Leia, his life has turned into one instance after another of what can the storytellers do to make him hurt, emotionally and physically. Episode 4 changed that up a bit (in that it focused very little on Obi-Wan's pain), but it's very easy to see what's going to happen in the next few episodes (not that I'm complaining of something being telegraphed).

 

I'm just not seeing a reason for this show to exist outside of fanservice. It'd be different if it was fun, like Solo, but its just not. It's a competently made show (though some of the lightsaber stuff in ep 4 was eh), and the acting's been good, with a surprisingly good child actor. The show might have been better, though, if it split focus between Obi-Wan on Tatooine meditating/learning from Qui-gon and a different Jedi running from the Inquisitors/Vader. Keep Indira Varma's character the same, but just have her helping the mother and child at the beginning of Episode 2 get away, which leads to the cell being discovered, but the mother and child surviving as a hope for the future bit (supposedly that was Corran Horn and his mom as a setup for the Rogue Squadron movie, for the peeps who know their EU).

 

Spoilers for Ep 4

Spoiler

Lot of little Easter Eggs for the cartoon watchers that ended up being a little sad to learn the fate of one of the Jedi (if you know, you know). Probably in the minority, but I love when Star Wars gets a little goofy, and Obi-Wan pulling the two people in a trench coat trick to escape was pretty good.

 

Also complaining about "plot holes", if the Empire knows that Leia's force sensitive now (I know they kidnapped her as a ploy to draw out Obi-Wan through his connection to Bail), why would they just leave her alone on Alderaan? They obviously don't care about an individual citizens power when it comes to force sensitive kids. So why is she just left alone. Which is another issue with the story, the only way Obi-Wan would leave Tatooine is if Luke or Leia were in trouble. Why have only Leia in trouble at this age? I just don't understand the decision making process with show.

 

Link to comment

I've been enjoying the series so far, but, there have been some pretty glaring and bizarre writing decisions up to this point. And I'm not a fan of the way they've written Reva or the performance that actress is giving.

 

So far I'd give it maybe a 6/10. We'll see the last couple episodes hold.

Link to comment
2 hours ago, Enhance said:

I've been enjoying the series so far, but, there have been some pretty glaring and bizarre writing decisions up to this point. And I'm not a fan of the way they've written Reva or the performance that actress is giving.

 

So far I'd give it maybe a 6/10. We'll see the last couple episodes hold.

IMO, what theyve done with the inquisitors has been some of the best parts of the show. Reva feels like shes acting the way she does to compensate. To drive her Jediness away so that she can become Vaders apprentice.

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment

The Inquisitor story line started off great - I just don't think the writing and the acting with that specific character has done it justice. It is over-acted and at times disconnected from the other plot elements and themes. I don't know if that's more of a her problem or a directorial problem, but Reva scenes have become less and less interesting as the story has gone along. Perhaps the best one so far was her

Spoiler

almost getting choked to death lol

 

Other than that though I've been really pleased. I think Ewan McGregor has re-captured the role nicely and the dynamic between him and Vader has been a lot of fun.

Link to comment
On 6/9/2022 at 11:35 PM, Enhance said:

I've been enjoying the series so far, but, there have been some pretty glaring and bizarre writing decisions up to this point. And I'm not a fan of the way they've written Reva or the performance that actress is giving.

 

So far I'd give it maybe a 6/10. We'll see the last couple episodes hold.

Reva is awful, mostly because Moses is not a good fit for the roll. I feel like I can't even critique the performance too much because of all the racists BS that's been spewed, but she's not intimidating enough; she lacks the emotional depth that should encompass the passion and rage of the dark side. It's just a blah performance.

 

Honestly that character being a focal point of the show is dragging it down. Well, that and the massive plot holes of storm troopers not noticing the person they're hunting 3 feet across from them, speeders magically teleporting back to a hanger entrance instead of crashing into a wall, Vader letting his nemesis get away because fire, droids not noticing stowaways next to them, some how not being able to tack a cargo ship leaving a planet on lock down, and whatever else I'm forgetting.

 

 

All that said, I really do like the story line and enjoy the show for what it is. I just wish they paid attention to details a little more 

Link to comment
On 6/9/2022 at 10:35 PM, Enhance said:

I've been enjoying the series so far, but, there have been some pretty glaring and bizarre writing decisions up to this point. And I'm not a fan of the way they've written Reva or the performance that actress is giving.

 

So far I'd give it maybe a 6/10. We'll see the last couple episodes hold.

 

3 hours ago, ZRod said:

Reva is awful, mostly because Moses is not a good fit for the roll. I feel like I can't even critique the performance too much because of all the racists BS that's been spewed, but she's not intimidating enough; she lacks the emotional depth that should encompass the passion and rage of the dark side. It's just a blah performance.

 

Honestly that character being a focal point of the show is dragging it down. Well, that and the massive plot holes of storm troopers not noticing the person they're hunting 3 feet across from them, speeders magically teleporting back to a hanger entrance instead of crashing into a wall, Vader letting his nemesis get away because fire, droids not noticing stowaways next to them, some how not being able to tack a cargo ship leaving a planet on lock down, and whatever else I'm forgetting.

 

 

All that said, I really do like the story line and enjoy the show for what it is. I just wish they paid attention to details a little more 

 

 

The problem with the character is she acts like a modern day American transported into the Star Wars universe. I didn't feel that way about any of the other American actors in any of the movies or shows.

And I agree the fire scene was really stupid. He just put out the fire... he can't do it again? Why have your lackeys pick him up when you can just float him? Why not float him across the fire towards you? They couldn't come up with better writing for that? (Granted, I think there is a scene in A New Hope where Vader was stopped by a door/some fog, but that was when Jedi powers were far more limited due to special effects limitations, so we didn't know any better).

  • Plus1 1
Link to comment

Haven’t massive plot holes always been a staple of the Star Wars franchise? Kind of a cheap space soap opera with subpar acting performances and odd writing decisions. Obi Wan seems maybe a little choppier but all in all, par for the course. And that’s not a critique, I like Star Wars and Obi Wan so far.

Link to comment

34 minutes ago, JJ Husker said:

Haven’t massive plot holes always been a staple of the Star Wars franchise? Kind of a cheap space soap opera with subpar acting performances and odd writing decisions. Obi Wan seems maybe a little choppier but all in all, par for the course. And that’s not a critique, I like Star Wars and Obi Wan so far.

 

It's entertaining which is good enough for me.

 

That said I wish they would do something like the Knights of the Old Republic game where it's all brand new characters in a different era. Then you'd get to be in the world and they could do a good story where they don't have to worry about whether it's consistent. They could even do the same exact story from the video game.

Update: I googled it and there is a pretty solid rumor that they are making a movie set in the Old Republic era next year. I'm actually more excited about that then having any further tie ins to the Skywalker saga. Mandalorian is really good (I think it's the best Star Wars product we've had since the original trilogy) but the ties are pretty loose so they're free to do almost anything they want.

Link to comment
40 minutes ago, JJ Husker said:

Haven’t massive plot holes always been a staple of the Star Wars franchise? Kind of a cheap space soap opera with subpar acting performances and odd writing decisions. Obi Wan seems maybe a little choppier but all in all, par for the course. And that’s not a critique, I like Star Wars and Obi Wan so far.

I don't recall any this bad though. Stuff that literally a soap opera could get right they miss a couple times every episode.

 

Like the whole time watching the speeders I'm thinking they're going to crash and the guys will need to jump out and have a cool fight Attack of the Clones style, but no. Somehow they are back at the entrance again just fine in the blink of an eye.

Link to comment
23 minutes ago, ZRod said:

I don't recall any this bad though. Stuff that literally a soap opera could get right they miss a couple times every episode.

 

Like the whole time watching the speeders I'm thinking they're going to crash and the guys will need to jump out and have a cool fight Attack of the Clones style, but no. Somehow they are back at the entrance again just fine in the blink of an eye.

I will admit this has been more of an issue in Obi Wan. And some of those light saber scenes…..woof.  I think the worst though was that fire scene. No logic to that at all.

Link to comment

Episode 5 was the best episode yet because it stopped focusing on internal pain and had characters actually do stuff instead of dwelling on said pain.

 

My take on Reva is that she was placed in a very poor situation and has since been playacting and forcing herself to be on the darkside because she knows thats how to survive until she can take her shot at Vader. The reason she's not as intimidating as Vader or some of the other darksiders is because there's a part of her that doesn't believe in what she's doing so she takes these big, exaggerated actions to make sure she's seen as the biggest possible dog in the yard. When in reality, she's just a Chihuahua with a bark bigger than its bite.

Link to comment

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.





×
  • Create New...