*** Obi-Wan Kenobi Series Official Thread ***

Aren't bad writing and plot holes part of the foundation of this franchise? You can't tell me you watched. ANH, TESB and ROTJ and thought they contained logical and well-written dialog and zero plot holes.

Nearly every show in this franchise is rife with issues. At some point you have to accept that it's part of the fabric of the story and move on.

• Plus1 1

2 hours ago, knapplc said:

Aren't bad writing and plot holes part of the foundation of this franchise? You can't tell me you watched. ANH, TESB and ROTJ and thought they contained logical and well-written dialog and zero plot holes.

Nearly every show in this franchise is rife with issues. At some point you have to accept that it's part of the fabric of the story and move on.

The original trilogy was a fairy tale set in space, so that's the level it needed to work at as far as plot and dialog. And it did - beautifully.

The newer movies and shows are attempting to be something more (Obi Wan suffering from depression for example), which require greater attention to plot and dialog, which is why many of the other Star Wars movies and shows fall flat. This new series isn't bad but it's mediocre because it's got many of the same flaws as the originals while also attempting to be more than a fairy tale. JMHO

• Plus1 1
4 hours ago, knapplc said:

I don't love the OT because of the incredible writing; I don't think anyone does.

That doesn't mean the writing has to suck moving forward 50 years later. There's a way to respect the source material without making the stuff you build off of it kind of suck. The way Disney has fumbled the ball with live action Star Wars is mind-boggling. Outside of TFA (which was a beat for beat reboot of ANH, and imo needed to be so) and Rogue One, and bits and pieces of The Mandalorian, it's been a trainwreck. 

Another example

Spoiler

At the end of ROTS, Obi-Wan says they need to take Luke somewhere that the Sith won't be able to sense his presence. Which makes sense, and that to ANH also makes sense. Luke has lived on a dusty remote outer rim planet his whole life, and is naive to what the Force is and only barely has a vague understanding of who the Jedi were.

But now we have Obi-Wan, where...apparently everyone on Tattooine is aware of the Jedi, aware of the Inquisitors actively hunting the Jedi, lots of people probably know someone who had a hand cut off or was in the cantina when the one Jedi escapes, and Luke even has his home invaded by an ex-Jedi with a lightsaber. Luke doesn't know what a lightsaber is in ANH either.

All this makes the version of Luke in ANH look kind of like a dunce. And you can rationalize it away, but an even grander idea is...don't write story elements that need to be contortionisted into the canon.

17 hours ago, Lorewarn said:

I don't love the OT because of the incredible writing; I don't think anyone does.

That doesn't mean the writing has to suck moving forward 50 years later. There's a way to respect the source material without making the stuff you build off of it kind of suck. The way Disney has fumbled the ball with live action Star Wars is mind-boggling. Outside of TFA (which was a beat for beat reboot of ANH, and imo needed to be so) and Rogue One, and bits and pieces of The Mandalorian, it's been a trainwreck. 

Another example

Hide contents

Outside of Starkiller and the X-Wing attack on it (the third act), TFA wasn't a beat for beat reboot of ANH. Really the only similarity is the fact that Jakku is a desert planet like Tatooine. Rey is a force sensitive living on the desert planet, but she's nothing like Luke. Finn is someone who wants nothing to do with the fight, but he's nothing like Han. Poe is entrenched in the struggle against the First Order, but he's nothing like Leia. Until the movie reaches/leaves Takodana is the best Star Wars movie since ESB, but Starkiller is a dud because of how similar it makes TFA seem to ANH.

The failings of the Sequel Trilogy lay at the feet of RJ deciding to only have interest in one third of the storylines and making his own movie in the middle of the ending trilogy of a trilogy of trilogies.

7 hours ago, whateveritis1224 said:

Outside of Starkiller and the X-Wing attack on it (the third act), TFA wasn't a beat for beat reboot of ANH. Really the only similarity is the fact that Jakku is a desert planet like Tatooine. Rey is a force sensitive living on the desert planet, but she's nothing like Luke. Finn is someone who wants nothing to do with the fight, but he's nothing like Han. Poe is entrenched in the struggle against the First Order, but he's nothing like Leia. Until the movie reaches/leaves Takodana is the best Star Wars movie since ESB, but Starkiller is a dud because of how similar it makes TFA seem to ANH.

The failings of the Sequel Trilogy lay at the feet of RJ deciding to only have interest in one third of the storylines and making his own movie in the middle of the ending trilogy of a trilogy of trilogies.

TFA was as close as you can get to copying a movie without it being a remake. The worst parts of that movie were when they trotted out the old characters. It's one of the main reasons all of the Star Wars stuff has been mostly  mediocre to poor - it's primarily a nostalgia grab.

And as bad as RJ and episode 8 were, episode 9 was way worse. Only the Star Wars Christmas Special is worse than episode 9.

• Plus1 1
  • 1 month later...

Just watched all 6 episodes over the weekend while confined to the basement.

It was fine, I noticed the same plot holes others talk about.

My biggest complaint is that I couldn't see 3/4 of the final episode because the screen was so dark.  I get what they are trying to do, but do that in a movie theater.  In order to actually see what is going on you either need to be watching at night with no lights on or have blackout sunshades.  It was frustrating to say the least.

• 4 months later...