Ed Cunningham Abruptly Resigns From ESPN

knapplc

I respect his stance to follow his convictions, but the dude's been going off the rails for half a decade. The number of times he got on a "target" tangent was staggering. The one that sticks in my head is against Mizzou in 2010, when Ciante Evans sacked Gabbert, and their helmets touched. Gabbert was like 4 inches taller, and he started ducking when he got hit. It was simple physics, not a dirty hit.

I won't miss that.

• Plus1 8

After 20 years of accepting a whole lot of money, i'm sure he's just fine stepping away and retiring from broadcasting football.  Had this been a newcomer who was probably not a millionaire I think it would hold more weight.  As it stands, he collected a nice sum of cash prior to this and then he quit.  Good on him for bringing it into the light, but after so many years and so many millions, iI don't think it sends the message he wants it to.

• Plus1 4

9 minutes ago, StPaulHusker said:

To add to HuskerInLostWages' comment, it will be interesting to see if he just goes away or if all of a sudden he becomes an "advocate or spokesman" about concussions.

I'm betting he just goes away.  I doubt we will hear anymore from him.  I always thought him to be a lazy broadcaster and spent too much time talking about hits rather than broadcasting the game, he had his agenda and stuck to it and we had to listen to his point of view the rest of the game.  He'll sit at home and now yell at his TV while watching the game because he longer has a soap box to stand on.

34 minutes ago, saunders45 said:

I respect his stance to follow his convictions, but the dude's been going off the rails for half a decade. The number of times he got on a "target" tangent was staggering. The one that sticks in my head is against Mizzou in 2010, when Ciante Evans sacked Gabbert, and their helmets touched. Gabbert was like 4 inches taller, and he started ducking when he got hit. It was simple physics, not a dirty hit.

I won't miss that.

Wasn't that Courtney Osbourne?

With all of the new information about brain injury, I think we will see more and more of these situations.  I, personally, am for the first time in my 40 years a little uneasy that the sport I enjoy so very much, causes such a significant amount of damage to its participants.

I do not have any sons, but I'm quite convinced I would heavily discourage participation in football if I did.  I know that there are a lot more people making that decision today than even 5-10 years ago.  Where will this lead football in another couple of decades?  

I think we have seen/are seeing the golden era of American football and it will decline quickly in the near future.

• Plus1 3