BTN: Who is the dark horse contender in the Big Ten?

Exactly my thoughts

5 hours ago, saunders45 said:

Dienhart: Nebraska

Keep an eye on Nebraska. The Cornhuskers are flying under everyone’s radar. As pundits fawn over Wisconsin and Northwestern as favorites in the Big Ten West, Nebraska is sitting back and ready to strike. The 2017 Cornhuskers are new and improved, a team with altered looks on both sides of the ball in Mike Riley’s third season in Lincoln. The offense finally will look like what Riley wants it to, as Tulane transfer Tanner Lee takes over at quarterback. The days of quarterback runs are basically over. This will be a West Coast-type of offense built around a strong rushing attack and the short-passing game. And there is no shortage of playmakers in WRs De’Mornay Pierson-El, Tyjon Lindsey and a trio of nice running backs including Tre Bryant. The key: development of the offensive line. The defense has been revamped by new coordinator Bob Diaco, who has scrapped Nebraska’s traditional 4-3 and installed a 3-4. And the Huskers look to have the personnel to make it work, including a nice set of linebackers. Add it all up, and it wouldn’t be a shock to see Nebraska win the West and get to the Big Ten title game, as NU seeks its first league title since 1999

Keep in mind,  Huskers tied for 1st place !!!!!  UNDEFEATED !!!!  Nationwide !!!! :koolaid2:  (for right now)

• Plus1 1

We have the raw talent to compete - even against both OSUs - it will take  a hugely inspired effort to beat Ohio State but any other game on the schedule, including PSU, aren't out of range for us if  these things happen as El Diaco mentions.  OL is my biggest key.  I think the D will be inspired to play above their experience level and I think Lee is as good as they say.  My biggest ?? is the OL - if they can block for both the run and the pass - we got the playmakers to make it happen - esp on the receivers side.  I do think Tre Bryant will break out and prove to be a very good back. 

3 hours ago, El Diaco said:

In my mind there are 3 basic questions and 1 more minor one.

1- Will Lee live up to expectations?

2- Will Diaco's defense get the job done?

3- Will our O Line perform and stay healthy?

4- Can Langsdorf develop a plan and call a good game?

1 minute ago, TGHusker said:

We have the raw talent to compete - even against both OSUs - it will take  a hugely inspired effort to beat Ohio State but any other game on the schedule, including PSU, aren't out of range for us if  these things happen as El Diaco mentions.  OL is my biggest key.  I think the D will be inspired to play above their experience level and I think Lee is as good as they say.  My biggest ?? is the OL - if they can block for both the run and the pass - we got the playmakers to make it happen - esp on the receivers side.  I do think Tre Bryant will break out and prove to be a very good back. 

I actually am not concerned about our RBs.  I am excited about Bryant...like you. But, if he gets injured, I really believe we have 2-3 more guys in that room that can be very good.  That is if our passing game is effective and the O line steps up.

2 hours ago, IA State Husker said:

Unfortunately, we are the Dark Horse.  We need to get to the point where the West is a One Horse race, Wisconsin is backing the Wrong Horse, Northwestern is the Dark Horse, and Iowa losing is like beating a Dead Horse.

Image result for one horse race gif

And the Gophers can go row a boat, or something.

horseboat2.jpg

• Plus1 1