Huskerboard's Politics & Religion Guidelines

Enhance

While we're on the subject of status updates and maybe adding a module that won't take us off the home page, I've noticed something else that doesn't seem kosher.  Every once in awhile an update appears that looks to have been intended only between two individual posters. i.e. earlier today there was one from garn to teacher, and there have been maybe another 10 I've noticed since the board update.

1- Why does what appears to be a message for only one poster show to everyone?  Seems it could be a little misleading for the originator thinking only the recipient will see it.

2- Is there any purpose for this when we have the ability to PM people?

3- How in the heck do you even do this? I haven't noticed anything that would lead me to think I was posting a status update for only one person.  I'm cornfused. 

32 minutes ago, teachercd said:

Translation:  Everyone here already knows what everyone else thinks on every topic about politics.  Stop posting it in the status updates.

Can I still post sweet updates like "What time you are heading to Lincoln for the game?"  and "Hey, ED...how stop playing with your dingy"

teach- We've discussed this :facepalm:.....there's never any reason to stop playing with your dingy :lol:

1 hour ago, saunders45 said:

I'll let you know after I've decided whether or not to ban you.

;)

Ha...okay okay!  

I might just forget to PM you with the useless inside info I get!

41 minutes ago, El Diaco said:

teach- We've discussed this :facepalm:.....there's never any reason to stop playing with your dingy :lol:

So very true

Can we post status updates referring to a P&R thread? Like for example, "We're discussing Trump's proposed tax changes in this thread: <link to thread>". That seems like a reasonable way to handle this, but I also see the potential for that to get out of hand based on the wording of the status update.

7 minutes ago, RedDenver said:

Can we post status updates referring to a P&R thread? Like for example, "We're discussing Trump's proposed tax changes in this thread: <link to thread>". That seems like a reasonable way to handle this, but I also see the potential for that to get out of hand based on the wording of the status update.

That's a great question. I don't personally have a problem with that because it's not an opinion or an opportunity to editorialize a political issue. Instead, you'd be directing members to engage in a conversation elsewhere.

In this example, I would simply reiterate to use fair judgement. Not every thread or topic deserves to have people mention something about it in the status updates. I don't think people do it very often as it is. Plus, delivery matters. Saying it as you did is OK, but if someone says something like 'Come discuss the stupid thing candidate X is proposing in this thread <link to thread>" then that's a problem.

• Plus1 2
26 minutes ago, RedDenver said:

Testing this idea right now with a provocative Status Update, complete with a link.  We'll see how it goes.

I always thought that this was a Husker message board and so politics and religion could be taken to other boards. I do not mind it but I don't see the point of discussing it when we can talk about Husker sports. The P&R forum is fine for those who love to talk about political ideas and it seems right to not allow spillover into status updates. Great job mods and admins for all you do to make this board better. :thumbs

So, if you seriously want to hear our opinions, I have one to offer. 

You have a set of board rules, but when some of the "legends" and even worse the board moderators troll with thinly masked insults toward board members, and said member then responds...with something perhaps a little less thinly veiled, perhaps the first instinct of the mods shouldn't be to circle the wagons and start to threaten the person who was first attacked. 

I agree that discussions of politics and religion can lead to some pretty heated words being thrown back-and-forth, but when we are discussing the Huskers and some "legend" who obviously thinks he/she is more informed or brighter than the other members, feels they have carte blanche to attack, because if the person retaliates (with words mind you), their fellow mods and admins will support them and ban or throw strikes at the OP. It makes this a less than inviting and friendly place. It makes it a place for a small little click of insiders to throw around their opinions and pretend they know more than everyone else and put people down with impunity because they know there will be no retribution and if (usually when) someone puts them in their place and explains to them the limits of their knowledge or intellect, that person's comments will be removed and that person will be threatened with banning. 

so...my suggestion, either stop threatening someone when they trash-talk back to someone who calls them out...or simply start treating all board members equally and stop having the backs of the "old timers" and "legends". In other words, stop giving your Mod and Admin friends the reach-around treatment. 

• Plus1 3

1 hour ago, Enhance said:

OP and thread title have been updated to be more encompassing.

I would include a line that people who are known to have done this in the past will not be given the benefit of the doubt on ambiguous status updates. Anything that can be tied to a political event or person will also be removed, and appropriate action taken against the person violating the rule.

• Plus1 1