Huskerboard's Politics & Religion Guidelines

Enhance

14 minutes ago, Rusty Shackleford said:

Make a post count requirement then make it against rules to post to get count up cuz that makes sense!

I outed that first sentence. People are going to try to abuse it, and we don't want that.

HuskerBoard is a community, and the intent of the post-count rule is to keep the P&R forum from being overrun by people outside our community.

Hang out here a while, become a member of the community, and everything's copacetic.

• Plus1 3
  • Fire 1

Why not just put Politics and Religion in the Woodshed and be done with it?

If it's causing as much consternation as has been claimed by mods, yet it's considered integral to the board, then move it to the Woodshed so it won't be as big of a problem. Additionally, Mods would then have an buffer/lock against access by potential trolls by virtue of people having to request the password from Mods in the first place. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

• Plus1 1
7 hours ago, Redux said:

I guess 250 seems high?  

Says the guy that had 1,000 posts in like 6 days when he first joined :lol:

3 hours ago, Rusty Shackleford said:

Make a post count requirement then make it against rules to artificially manipulate posts to get count up cuz that makes sense!

Yeah, it does actually make perfect sense.

• Plus1 1
1 hour ago, VectorVictor said:

Why not just put Politics and Religion in the Woodshed and be done with it?

If it's causing as much consternation as has been claimed by mods, yet it's considered integral to the board, then move it to the Woodshed so it won't be as big of a problem. Additionally, Mods would then have an buffer/lock against access by potential trolls by virtue of people having to request the password from Mods in the first place. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

There's merit to this idea.

I think it would also prevent thread titles started in P&R from showing up in the New Topics portion of the board, which is something I think vexes some people and kinda goes against the "Keep P&R stuff in P&R" mantra.

• Plus1 1

In my opinion, moving P&R to the Woodshed sends the wrong message. We'd be telling people P&R is little more than a place to insult one another and there wouldn't much reason to have a shred of responsible conversation. It's contentious enough at times and it's NOT in the Woodshed. I'd be disappointed to see what it could become in the one place on the board where it's OK to go after someone.

Plus, passwords can be shared (hence one of the reasons we went with a post limit on P&R instead of a password protected forum).

• Plus1 2

12 minutes ago, Enhance said:

In my opinion, moving P&R to the Woodshed sends the wrong message. We'd be telling people P&R is little more than a place to insult one another and there wouldn't much reason to have a shred of responsible conversation. It's contentious enough at times and it's NOT in the Woodshed. I'd be disappointed to see what it could become in the one place on the board where it's OK to go after someone.

Plus, passwords can be shared (hence one of the reasons we went with a post limit on P&R instead of a password protected forum).

That's not what you would be saying, unless that's what you actually want to say.

And if you're truly concerned about that, then give P&R specific rules--you already have rules in place for the Skin thread, as well as rules for Woodshed. There's already precedent for establishing rules for forums and threads in the Woodshed, so I don't see why the same couldn't happen with P&R.

And passwords can be changed on a regular basis to thwart sharing...and frankly, why even bother with password access? Why not just make the board visible or invisible to specific users, based on the user requesting access to the board from the mods. Most message boards allow for hidden or gated forums already. If someone starts getting stupid--remove their access to that board. 

5 minutes ago, Enhance said:

It would ruin any real discussion in P&R sure, but I can only imagine the insults people would come up with for one another #comedicgold

Image result for but you can imagine what it would be like gif

6 minutes ago, RedSavage said:

It would ruin any real discussion in P&R sure, but I can only imagine the insults people would come up with for one another #comedicgold

Image result for but you can imagine what it would be like gif

Rules could be put in place specifically for P&R to prevent discussions from going down the proverbial crapper. 

And yes, I think it would create some #comedicgold too if things were not so stringent. 

9 minutes ago, VectorVictor said:

That's not what you would be saying, unless that's what you actually want to say. And if you're truly concerned about that, then give P&R specific rules--you already have rules in place for the Skin thread, as well as rules for Woodshed. There's already precedent for establishing rules for forums and threads in the Woodshed, so I don't see why the same couldn't happen with P&R.

And passwords can be changed on a regular basis, and frankly, why even bother with password access--just make the board visible or invisible to specific users, based on the user requesting access to the board from the mods. Most message boards allow for hidden or gated forums already. 

For the bolded, I think it would be a plausible and likely interpretation. Indirectly at the very least. I, personally, don't like the optics of it. Not sure how others would feel.

As for forum visibility, it's certainly possible within the admin tools, but my gut reaction is it's not something the admins would want to manage and they'd be the only ones that could - Mav and Saunders. And then you have to further determine what constitutes being able to see it, and probably keep track of why someone should or shouldn't have access so that all the mods/admins know. It'd be a bit of a mess, IMO.

3 minutes ago, VectorVictor said:

Rules could be put in place specifically for P&R to prevent discussions from going down the proverbial crapper. 

And yes, I think it would create some #comedicgold too if things were not so stringent. 

I think it'd be pretty difficult to do.  There's rules in place outside of the shed that I think are probably hard to maintain.  The shed would be a free for all...but it'd be entertaining as hell

1 minute ago, Enhance said:

For the bolded, I think it would be a plausible and likely interpretation. Indirectly at the very least. I, personally, don't like the optics of it. Not sure how others would feel.

As for forum visibility, it's certainly possible within the admin tools, but my gut reaction is it's not something the admins would want to manage and they'd be the only ones that could - Mav and Saunders. And then you have to further determine what constitutes being able to see it, and probably keep track of why someone should or shouldn't have access so that all the mods/admins know. It'd be a bit of a mess, IMO.

That's one interpretation. The other is that HuskerBoard isn't going to let Politics and Religion mar or otherwise sully other discussions, and by segregating it, you're sending a clearer message about not wanting Politics to spill over than you are with the current policy.

As for access, keep the 250 post requirement in place, but for access. You'd only have a flurry of access requests initially--after the initial setup, you should only get requests as frequently as mods get requests for the password to the Woodshed. If you don't want to worry about access to the board independent of warnings/bannings, then that's fine, it can still be an all/none affair.

The thing is, the status quo with the P&R board isn't ideal or sustainable long-term, and you're going to continue to have P&R infecting other discussions on the board as long as it's considered a regular part of the board. Moving it to the Woodshed or making it a requested access only board would allow discussion to continue without infecting the rest of the board. 

I enjoy P&R for the thoughtful and reasonable discussion, and tend to engage less when it is polluted with crazy herpaderp. When people go crazy in P&R, it is less fun and much less intelligent, but it turns out the folks who cause that eventually get themselves banned or just get burnt out on it. It is generally a mature place for discussion. 

On the other hand, the Woodshed is a place for immaturity , which has its place (I like the shed, too), but the shed and P&R should definitely be kept separate. To Vector's point, yeah maybe additional rules can be set in place for P&R even under the Woodshed umbrella, but would it be worth it? I would see such a move dragging down the (already tenuous) discourse of the P&R conversations and actually make the jobs harder for the mods, enforcing additional sub-rules and such. 

I think the more reasonable approach is to act civilized in P&R, and when you need a break from that, there are places to vent in the shed.

As far as @VectorVictor goes, I was confused by the venting in the other thread about the warnings on moderation and such. I like most of VectorVictor's posts. You can even say that I am a Vector fan. But when I take a quick glance at the Offending Posts thread, it seems that Vector just needs to pull his punches a little bit when he goes on the attack. Tweak the wording ever so slightly, be a bit more subtle. The Offending Posts seemed to be going after morons who deserved it, but he got dinged for the personal attack. 

I think we can have P&R discussions without getting overly riled up. When people ruin it for others, their fate is eventually sealed. Sometimes it just takes some patience and subtlety. I think we can all learn to be like Fonzie.

Image result for pulp fiction cool honey bunny gif

• Plus1 2
  • 4 months later...