RB Ronald Thompkins [Nebraska - Signed LOI]

Mavric

HuskerBoard Predictor  

11 members have voted

1. 1. To which school will Thompkins commit?

• Nebraska
    • Florida State
    • Tennessee
    • LSU
    • Penn State
    • Mississippi State

This poll is closed to new votes

8 minutes ago, StPaulHusker said:

Now I know they are in 2 different recruiting classes, but the QB from Alabama was on campus and wanted to commit but was allegedly talked out of it by the coaches.

This guy hasn't been to campus and has de-committed from one school already and they take his commitment?

DISCLAIMER:  THIS IS NOT A COMMENT THAT IS FINDING FAULT IN THE COACHING STAFF!!!  I REPEAT, NOT TRYING TO FIND FAULT!!!  JUST AN OBSERVATION!!!

Could just be gut-feel by our coaches, or maybe the coaches had or hadn't talked to the parents already.

I agree with you. When you compare the situations it is odd, I was just pointing out that we don't know much about either situation and the coaches can't comment on it.

It could be as easy as them having another QB higher on the board.  Or maybe the coaches didn't know Thompson was committing... though they are recognizing it on Twitter

Edit: meant to quote @StPaulHusker

2 minutes ago, RedDenver said:

Could just be gut-feel by our coaches, or maybe the coaches had or hadn't talked to the parents already.

Pure speculation on my part here. My guess is they really want Thompkins and they weren't as high on the Alabama QB. Again, speculation on my part.

• Plus1 2
4 minutes ago, StPaulHusker said:

Now I know they are in 2 different recruiting classes, but the QB from Alabama was on campus and wanted to commit but was allegedly talked out of it by the coaches.

This guy hasn't been to campus and has de-committed from one school already and they take his commitment?

DISCLAIMER:  THIS IS NOT A COMMENT THAT IS FINDING FAULT IN THE COACHING STAFF!!!  I REPEAT, NOT TRYING TO FIND FAULT!!!  JUST AN OBSERVATION!!!

I think this staff is very case by case with their recruiting. 

1 minute ago, Hans Gruber said:

Pure speculation on my part here. My guess is they really want Thompkins and they weren't as high on the Alabama QB. Again, speculation on my part.

This staff is super confident in recruiting and developing QBs. I'd imagine they would feel like they're limiting themselves by accepting a commitment from a guy so early in the process.

• Plus1 1

Just now, swmohusker said:

Coach Reggie Davis: It is tough to get complete backs to commit to DONU.  

Coach Held:  Hold my beer!

Dude is doing work.  Completely changing that RB room in a hurry.  Lots of speed and versatility seen from the guys they have targetted.  Looks like Frost and Co. are serious about wanting to be able to run the football.  

Great thought. Davis was struggling.

I would think there would be reasons to handle a potential 2020 commit a lot differently than a potential 2019 commit. One of them still has 20 months left.

9 minutes ago, swmohusker said:

Coach Reggie Davis: It is tough to get complete backs to commit to DONU. 

What's the actual quote from Davis?

2 minutes ago, Moiraine said:

I would think there would be reasons to handle a potential 2020 commit a lot differently than a potential 2019 commit. One of them still has 20 months left.

What's the actual quote from Davis?

Nope.  Just the last staff's general philosophy.  He would not recruit a back if they couldnt pass pro. Which is cool, but at the college level you need to get athletes and you need to get them on the field in a hurry.  

2 minutes ago, swmohusker said:

Nope.  Just the last staff's general philosophy.  He would not recruit a back if they couldnt pass pro. Which is cool, but at the college level you need to get athletes and you need to get them on the field in a hurry.  

So basically he wouldn't recruit one he'd have to coach to do that. I would think lots of high school running backs aren't good at it yet. Especially if they're a great back and the team doesn't have to pass a lot.

• Plus1 1
1 minute ago, swmohusker said:

I don't think the last staff as a whole had that philosophy.  They didn't do too bad in other areas of recruiting.  

I do believe Bo said something to the fact that it was difficult, though.