Any chance the Tanner Lee story isn't 100 percent true?

tmfr15

Just now, Mavric said:

I think you're being pretty dramatic but whatever.

Like I've said a couple times, this is one example out of several times that I thought he forced a throw to his first read when there were better options available.

I agree that he forced some throws and by no means was perfect.  I just don't agree that Hoppes was a better option in this play.  Was he open? Yes.  But he was behind Lee and Lee was already in his wind up before Hoppes even threw his hands up.  

Just now, MyBloodIsRed16 said:

I agree that he forced some throws and by no means was perfect.  I just don't agree that Hoppes was a better option in this play.  Was he open? Yes.  But he was behind Lee and Lee was already in his wind up before Hoppes even threw his hands up.  

But you keep assuming that Lee had no idea that he'd be coming open late.  That's in the design of the play and Lee would have known to look there late.  Instead he never looked anywhere else - as he did on other throws - as if he'd already decided where he was throwing before the ball was snapped.

Throwing into double-coverage isn't exactly the textbook pass to look for either, if you're insisting on that line of thinking.

I think he went there because there wasn't a need to ditch the primary route. His throw supports the fact that this was open enough to throw into.

I won't dispute that maybe there are other examples. Giving up and going to the checkdown, I would argue, would have been the wrong move on this play.

"Look anywhere else" means you're probably not coming back to the first one. If there's evidence that Lee is a QB who is ineffective at going through progressions, I don't think this is it. It may be accurate, though. We know Lee has the arm and can make all the throws. We know less about his decision-making, and a high degree of going through progressions is somewhat rare in a college QB, isn't it? Especially early in the implementation of the offense. "Deciding where to go before the ball was snapped" isn't supported at all with this example. So in order to argue that thesis effectively, I think a lot more evidence is warranted.

A QB that has not seen action in a real game in two years, may get a pass on last night.  He does from me.  I enjoyed the fact that he could actually complete passes, with receivers in stride, rather yolo bombs and praying our receiver stopped in time to catch the pass.  We have a real QB, that needs to some time in the saddle is my guess.  Hopefully we see improvement in him this week

38 minutes ago, Mavric said:

But you keep assuming that Lee had no idea that he'd be coming open late.  That's in the design of the play and Lee would have known to look there late.  Instead he never looked anywhere else - as he did on other throws - as if he'd already decided where he was throwing before the ball was snapped.

Throwing into double-coverage isn't exactly the textbook pass to look for either, if you're insisting on that line of thinking.

What I will assume is that either Lee or Hoppes was not where they were supposed to be.  Either Lee isn't supposed to roll that far or Hoppes held his block too long and didn't get enough depth or far enough outside.  Lee probably should have just thrown the ball away 

9 hours ago, ColoradoHusk said:

Are you counting the "drop" by Hoppes on the first drive for NU?  That wasn't a drop. That was a forced pass into double coverage (zone defense) and the safety tipped the ball before it got to Hoppes.

Yeah, this isn't a drop.  Obviously tipped.  Not a lot but even a small change from that distance at that speed makes a huge difference.

7 hours ago, Mavric said:

Yeah, this isn't a drop.  Obviously tipped.  Not a lot but even a small change from that distance at that speed makes a huge difference.

Fine won't go in the books as a drop.  But it hit him in chest and then in the hands and the score board operator didn't have to change a 0 to a 6.  He dropped it and that's a ball that should have been caught.  

• Plus1 3

I'm not sure what you guys are talking about ,but the jury is still out on whether the Tanner Lee story is 100% true. He was actually better than I thought he'd be because I was expecting him to just stand in the pocket like a bowling pin and make nervous throws. I was pleasantly surprised with how he played. Only question now is how he'll perform against a strong pass rush. Arky St was soft and weak on D line.

On 9/3/2017 at 2:28 PM, El Diaco said:

Yeah, his productivity and efficiency dropped off a bit in the 2nd half but there is no denying he looked much better throwing the ball than TA or TM ever did.  Throwing a few balls slightly over the head or a bit out of bounds where nobody can catch them is much preferable to the uncle Rico yolo mortar launches we've been accustomed to. Better than TA may not be the goal but neither is leaving early for the NFL. From what I saw, I think we'll be in very capable hands and will likely see some improvement from him. It was only the first game after all. The worrisome thing was some of the balls forced into bad situations but a few of those are tolerable until they start getting picked.

Agree. I can't remember the last time I've seen a Husker QB with this combo of arm strength and accuracy. Yeah there were some inconsistencies but I chalk that up to 2 yrs of rust. I'm pretty excited to see how he develops. On the other hand, the defense made me feel queasy. 

Uncle Rico yolo mortar made me laugh. 

On 9/3/2017 at 4:43 PM, zoogs said:

Lee is not very fast. This looks like a play where he should have maybe been a bit more patient and gone to his checkdown. However, if he was going to go for the deep route that was the time to go for it. He trusts his arm a lot, evidently, and completed more than one pass into a tight window downfield yesterday. 

This looks like it was almost a 40-yard completion. Reimers is in bounds and it drops right in the bucket. I don't mind taking a shot like that if you can deliver it like this. Neither defender had a shot at this ball and both were just running with their hands down as the ball came in. Pretty incredible ;) That's an NFL arm. Lee was doing this all night.

That's exactly what I see there as well. I'm not arguing the checkdown wasn't the right read, but the WR had a step on the primary coverage guy and the help coming in had no shot at the ball. If those are the types of misses we see from Lee I'm cool with that

• Plus1 1