What did we learn-Game 1 Arky State

JJ Husker

Just to amplify points already suggested:

1.  The coaches have, as have been discussed ad infinitum on this board, lots of extra staff people to game plan, scout, plan, etc for future opponents.  From what I understand, Ark State has run this offense for several years and has a very experienced, talented QB and they like to use the hurry up and throw the ball quickly.  This makes it almost impossible to get sacks or really consistantly pressure the QB into errors.  This should have been very apparent to Riley and the staff in their game planning.  Yes, it is game 1 but that only is a reasonable excuse if the opponent comes out and does somethng wildly different that expected.  Not the case last night.   

2.   Ark State has some good football players but it is not reasonable to suggest they are better than we are but they played better than we did surely.

3.  Installing a 'new' defensive scheme / system was begun in earnest in February so they had 8 months to get it done.  We have three (3) QBs that are passers that should have been quite able to simulate the kind of offensive plays in practive that we faced last night.  In fact, we generally are supposedly trying to do many of the basic things Ark State did.  Our defense seemed completely unprepared for this.  Why?   I can't think of any good excuses for not being ready.

4.  I had been very supportive of Riley and his regime to this point.  But if a miracle doesn't happen, then the probability is that we are in for a long, long season as our we are going to suffer repeated like last night.  If the problems were only little things that need 'adjustments' and corrections, that should have been done by half time.   Had this game had two more quarters, Ark State would have won by couple TDs.   Our defense was very tired / exhausted by late in the game.  This is NOT acceptable.  We gave out 16 black shirts and have plenty more capable athletes to substitue as well as our conditioning ought to be better.  It was not that hot, it was at night at home.  No excuse for not being physically fit enough to defend 90 snaps over the course of a nearly 4 hour long game.   

• Plus1 1
10 hours ago, Husker66 said:

as I usually say, nothing is learned, but this is a new low in the post TO era for me...based upon tonights performance, we don't resemble a power 5 program let alone Nebraska anymore.

When you say we don't resemble Nebraska anymore, just which "Nebraska" do you mean.....the one that existed 20+ years ago, or one that has existed for the last 20 years.?

4 minutes ago, El Diaco said:

I learned that I forgot how quickly this board can turn into a sh!tfest after a less than stellar win. And game threads should be banned. How many weeks to the off season? Can't wait, and it's not to get past the football. There's less crying in a hospital nursery.

The game threads are always high comedy, especially if NU has any trouble during the game.

Based on this board, I learned that there are a lot of "fans" that seem to have their personal identity mixed up with that of the Nebraska Football team.  I learned that people go stark raving bonkers when a group of boys and/or coaches don't live up to some archaic vision of what "Nebraska Football" should be.  I learned that way too many people take their role as "knowledgeable fan" so freaking serious that they can't enjoy what was, in essence, an exciting win.  I learned that way too many people discount the effects of parity and anomaly.  I learned that there is no need to see certain people's posts any longer.

Go Big Red

(Huskers 42 - Oregon Ducks 38)

• Plus1 1
1 hour ago, VectorVictor said:

One thing that's being overlooked/forgotten in the defense discussion is how the offense could help them out...but failed to do so. How many times, late in the 4th quarter, did Langsdorf stop the clock by going for a pass instead of running the ball? 

The best teams with the best coordinators realize there's a symbiotic relationship between the offense and defense. Langsdorf could have helped the defense out by sticking with the running game (which was hotter than the passing game at that point), and running the clock down so ASU didn't have enough time to open up more season tickets via heart attack. 

Problem is, Langsdorf has failed to learn this lesson repeatedly, and it's a lesson that is going to kill us in a tight/close game that matters down the stretch. For all the talk talk about this being a new offense and new expectations, it's disappointing to see this issue at the OC/playcalling level creep back up, especially since the offense did have a good night overall. 

yup- not his first rodeo.  He is the definition of insanity.  

1 minute ago, grandpasknee said:

Based on this board, I learned that there are a lot of "fans" that seem to have their personal identity mixed up with that of the Nebraska Football team.  I learned that people go stark raving bonkers when a group of boys and/or coaches don't live up to some archaic vision of what "Nebraska Football" should be.  I learned that way too many people take their role as "knowledgeable fan" so freaking serious that they can't enjoy what was, in essence, an exciting win.  I learned that way too many people discount the effects of parity and anomaly.  I learned that there is no need to see certain people's posts any longer.

Go Big Red

(Huskers 42 - Oregon Ducks 38)

ok

• Plus1 1

I learned that, despite what some people are saying, our offensive line played much better in the run game last night.  Much more creative, multiple pulls and movement.  I am happy to see that.

I also learned that our lack of depth at CB is scary, because we didn't show a very good nickel or dime package last night and Newby and Gifford on Oregon receivers scares the crap out of me.

• Plus1 2
7 hours ago, Landlord said:

Didn't really learn anything new, personally.

I was reminded that it takes a very, very rare set of circumstances for Huskerboard to be a pleasant experience after games are over. Win or lose.

Was also reminded that people just can't help themselves in unnecessarily extrapolating a final verdict on a team based on a single data point.

Was reminded that better teams (at Nebraska, and across the country) have struggled just as much against worse opponents. The teams that almost lost to South Dakota State and McNeese State finished with 10 and 9 wins, respectively. Michigan finished ranked 18th after losing to App State in 2007. Reality is that this just isn't that big of a deal either way. 

Saw plenty of positives that I really liked - Bryant looked the part of a workhorse featured back (although he still runs pretty high), run blocking was solid and the scheme was much more intricate than last season, Tanner Lee looked like what we've all been hoping he was, there were flashes on defense, Lightbourn played great, no injuries, few penalties, so on.

Oh! One thing I learned is that @Enhance is a cool dude in person and his fiance is a definite keeper, although he wasn't handling the last 2 minutes of the game very well :lol: Got a decent amount of free drinks hanging at Kirkwood in Chicago tonight in a cool atmosphere watching our favorite team play and win. All in all, not much reason for me to be too bummed out.

Best take here, would read again. 10/10 :thumbs

1. Lee is the real deal and I hope somehow we get him back for his senior year

2 It was definitely the first game in a new scheme. Our defense struggled because lets be honest they had not seen another teams offense. And lets give Ark ST. some credit. They run their offense super efficiently and at an extreme pace. Their is no way our scout team can actually emulate at practice.

3. Our defense will get better, Diaco knows what he wants to do with his defense. Having a game of film is extremely valuable and we will see a lot less of the alignment issues next week.

4. Don't forget a lot of these guys especially up front weren't recruited for the 3-4 defense

5. Riley and co. have recruited some legit athletes.

6. Huskerboard is a dumpster fire on gamedays

• Plus1 3

12 hours ago, Husker66 said:

as I usually say, nothing is learned, but this is a new low in the post TO era for me...based upon tonights performance, we don't resemble a power 5 program let alone Nebraska anymore.

Really?  An unimpressive win is a lower point than a 70-10 beatdown from Texas Tech?  Or lower than giving up a then NCAA rushing record? Or a couple other Wisconsin games?  Was McNeese State your previous low point?

• Plus1 5
14 hours ago, Husker66 said:

So beating a team who has won their conference a few years in a row is worse than needing a miracle to beat a division I AA mcneese state team???  Nice logic.

• Plus1 2