What did we learn-Game 1 Arky State

JJ Husker

6 hours ago, KingBlank said:

I am not questioning people like your grandfather (phyical limitations, small children, ect, if in some way you wanted to take it as that, you can do as you please.  It usually the people toward that age that stay the entire game.  I am referring to fans in the younger generation that are more worried about getting that next beer then watching the game, why did you even come?  And it is ridiculous that during a 3rd down the bench is trying to get the crowd loud, and all they see are people leaving.  You know they see this correct?  You know recruits see this correct?

This "true fan" shtick is hilarious and ridiculous.

If you remove all the people who weren't there in part to socialize, or party, or get drunk, or because that's what their parents did, or whatever, and you only let true fans into the stadium, our sellout streak would never have even started.

Those people come to games, and they come because they want to. Do they need a better reason? 

• Plus1 2

I was chasing elk all weekend with very minimal cell coverage and didn't see the game until today.  By the pitchforks and torches types of comments on Huskerboard, I was expecting something much worse than what I saw.

Arkansas State looks to be an athletic team, who had nothing to lose, and whose strengths fit very well against our defense.  They had every reason to play loose and aggressive and did so. Our team is still sorting out a new defense that is likely most designed to stop the power of the Big 10 rather than the pass happy spread we used to see in the Big 12.  I remember when Bo had great spread defenses but couldn't stop the power game...  I'm hoping that this defense is the opposite and that it was kept very simple by Diaco since the game was never really in threat, until the very last minute when AState had some very good breaks go their way compounded by our guys looking to fatigue or tighten up a bit.  The way the game ended gave people a very emotionally colored view of the whole game IMO.

Very excited by our offensive performance.

I think we will see good things this year, though Oregon does concern me as they're a turbo charged version of Arkansas State.  I'm hoping that Diaco has some cards up his sleeve and that his defense will shine in the games that matter most.

• Plus1 5

The offense looked solid. Outside of some iffy play calling on the last couple drives and some bad plays from the right side of the Oline, I was very pleased.

The defense wasn't near as bad as some make it out to seem. Yes we gave up a lot of yards but none of those came on big plays. We played our defense to stop the run, prevent big plays in the passing game and force them to move down the field with the short passing game. Could the CBs have gotten off blocks better and not been playing off coverage, could our open field tackling been a little better? Sure but it's the first game of the year and I'm willing to allow our staff to fix these flaws before throwing in the towel. 

• Plus1 1

On ‎9‎/‎3‎/‎2017 at 0:07 PM, WhatDoIKnow said:

Really?  An unimpressive win is a lower point than a 70-10 beatdown from Texas Tech?  Or lower than giving up a then NCAA rushing record? Or a couple other Wisconsin games?  Was McNeese State your previous low point?

and 2007 was bad! ya know how you remember where you were when yada yada.... I was coming back from bow hunting listening to the KU game who had hung 83 on us in Lawrence.. they tore down the goal post like everyone else did that year. this is a new low as I never could have dreamed that 10 years later we wouldn't have solved this puzzle yet...meanwhile Penn state is ranked #6 with a complete top to bottom rebuild from a far worse fate than losing a great coach just a few years back...not to mention what TOSU, Michigan, MSU, Wisky have done in that time frame...

but heh its just me, I'm sure there are far more logical conclusions to be had after this game, I'm just tired of the broken record...here;s to 9-4 err 6-6 or whatever...

Arkansas State athletic director Terry Mohajir said moving the Miami game to Friday was an option but that Miami's administration decided not to have the team make the trip. Mohajir had numerous conversations with Miami AD Blake James before the game was ultimately cancelled. "We are currently working through all the variables associated with the game not being played," Mohajir said in a statement.

ESPN