What did we learn-Game 1 Arky State

JJ Husker

A couple things from early in the game that I didn't mention earlier but saw on a re-watch.

• Props to Diaco for the "prevent" defense on Arky St's first possession when it was 3rd & 24.  Brought in pas rushers for the down three and played everyone else well off.  I'm usually not a fan of prevent but in this specific case it was a great call.
  • Knevel is not good.  He was either missing or not holding his blocks nearly long enough right from the start.
  • Knevel and Farmer need to get it figured out.  I noticed a couple times during the game where they obviously weren't on the same page as to who to pick up but there's another one on our first drive on 3rd down before we kicked the FG where there was a simple twist between the DT and DE but Farmer locked on and didn't pick up the DE twisting inside.  Forced and early throw and we ended up with a FG - instead of going for it like we should have.
  • Plus1 1
On 9/4/2017 at 3:18 PM, KingBlank said:

That our fans that go to the game are awful and leave with us only up 8 points, or 14 or still leaving during their last drive.  It's absolutely ridiculous.  If you were a recruit and looked and said, this game is not over but half the stadium has already left, why in the world would I play for fans that don't support the team in close games.  This has to stop at some point.  There were only 100 people left in the rich seats under the press box at the end.  I'm sorry but it's unacceptable, you can't be there best fans in the country if only half the stadium watchs the whole game.  That's what I learned, and it's only getting worse.  I get told to sit down during the game but then that same person is smashing themselves into isle with 8 minutes left in the third quarter.  That's what I learned.  

Was this really a thing? The BTN crew talked about no Husker fans leaving early. 

Anyone else notice a significant exodus?

This is already the third or fourth bad play by Knevel on the first play of our second possession.  It's a counter away from him so it should be pretty hard for him to screw it up.  Alas, he hits his guy once then stands and watches.  The play is set up very well but since Knevel's guy (#15) gets so much penetration McNitt has to stop and pick up Knevel's guy instead of leading up on the play-side LB.  That leaves that LB free to tackle Bryant for a one yard loss.  Should have been a pretty solid gain had we gotten a modicum of effort from Knevel.

tGfgCuh.png

• Plus1 1

2 minutes ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

Was this really a thing? The BTN crew talked about no Husker fans leaving early. 

Yes, by about 5 minutes left in the game there was maybe half the crowd left.  I saw some people leaving early in the fourth quarter.  I'm not sure how fast it dropped because I was paying more attention to the game but I remember noticing during a timeout and thinking this game might go down to the wire and half the people are gone already.

18 minutes ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

Yep. I'd say 60-70% of the fans were still there for the end.

I'll probably get told I'm not a fan when I say this but I was planning on leaving if we went up by 17-21 in the 4th quarter. But we didn't. I personally think it's fine to leave during a blowout against a non conference team, especially when it's almost 11pm and I still have to drive home. But a 10-14 point lead (whatever it was) isn't a blowout, so I stayed until the last play.

11 minutes ago, Mavric said:

This is two plays later.  Not sure who Knevel thought he was supposed to be blocking here but neither he nor Farmer - nor Bryant - decided to block the guy in B gap.  Sack.

rsZxrFr.png

When I see stuff like that it's hard to think any coach could fix it. The only possibility where I could see it being a coaching problem is if for some reason the Offensive Linemen are having to think too hard instead of just play.

19 minutes ago, Moiraine said:

When I see stuff like that it's hard to think any coach could fix it. The only possibility where I could see it being a coaching problem is if for some reason the Offensive Linemen are having to think too hard instead of just play.

Yes and no. I agree that it would be primarily on the players. But there are a lot of things for the coaches as well. Do we have a communication system in place? Are we making sure it's being used? If there are guys not getting it done, why isn't someone else in there?

9 minutes ago, LilRedIsABadOmen said:

Since Knevel is injured some I wonder if they would slide Conrad out to RT and play Decker at C

Farniok would just go in at RT

3 hours ago, Mavric said:

Yes, by about 5 minutes left in the game there was maybe half the crowd left.  I saw some people leaving early in the fourth quarter.  I'm not sure how fast it dropped because I was paying more attention to the game but I remember noticing during a timeout and thinking this game might go down to the wire and half the people are gone already.

Sorry, but that's seriously screwed up.

That's what Los Angeles Dodgers fans do. Not Husker fans in the home opener, regardless of score. 

I was at the game and I saw a lot of fans leaving with 5 minutes left. I turned to my two friends and I'm like "they just jynxed it, Arkansas state is still in this game if they score here and get an onside recovery". Sure enough they almost come back and win.

To be fair to the guy who was ranting about "young fans" though, on my side of the stadium all the people leaving were the old timers don't know about the rest of the stadium. 

Some observations after watching the game last night on youtube.  First, I followed the live game by reading the discussion thread.  It's always interesting to get a "take" off the board members live thoughts and then go back and watch the game knowing the outcome.

First possession I think, our TE, Hoppes (spelling) dropped an easy TD.  I made a mental note of that.  Then he came back with one really great catch and several others, I believe a TD.  Anyway, I really liked his play.  Certainly can see him becoming a threat with Tanner being an accurate passer.  

In the third quarter, the announces mentioned that Ark St. lost all front 5 of their offensive line.  That made me really question our D.  How can 5 newbies put up that kind of protection against our D-line?  Anyways,  I know Diaco's recruiting classes he inherited at ND and he obviously had Top 10 recruiting classes.  At this point, I'm gonna guess that we don't have the players and those we do have don't understand the scheme well enough.  In any event, we just aren't there yet.  Will we be ... I already know.  I predicted 7-5.

I was really impressed with Ark St more then disappointed in my Huskers.  They had 3-4 studs on defense that really stood out.  Their QB was legit and if their WR's hold on to some balls they actually win the game IMO.  

I liked how the Huskers responded to big plays by them.  We did that well.  Obviously, whatever we thought we figured out in the 3rd we gave away in the 4th.  Thought the coaching staff put the kids in some bad spots with our offensive play calls in the 4th.  Kids might have let up a bit thinking they had solidified the game.  Good lesson learned their I'm sure.

Glad we stayed on the run ... would have wanted more touches spread around for sure.

Finally, it's always interesting to see all the guys who predicted such a great season go bat sh#t during the live game ... especially when they make the 7-5 predictors feel like such pessimists and negative people.  For those guys ... man, I hope you can have an enjoyable season and be happy with a Top 3 on our side of the conference.  :-)

• Plus1 2