Just now, marko polo said:

dude do you honestly think all this frustration is from one game! try try the last 15 or more.

Settle down Francis! I am frustrated too, but this was the first game with a new defensive scheme. I thought the O looked pretty decent last night and ran the ball well....better than they have been. I trust the defense will continue to rise.

• Plus1 2
44 minutes ago, Touchdown Tommie said:

Settle down Francis! I am frustrated too, but this was the first game with a new defensive scheme. I thought the O looked pretty decent last night and ran the ball well....better than they have been. I trust the defense will continue to rise.

The coverage decisions made that caused so many issues on those screens don't change with front. Coverages are coverages and fronts are fronts. Put 3 down in an odd front with 2 bubbles or 4 down in an even with a single middle....don't make any difference on those screens. 

The coverage math, which is the real issue, is the same either way. The offense is trying to get 5 defenders in the box while the defense wants 6 to account for the back. Call the defense whatever you want, you still have to deal with the same problem.

1 hour ago, Touchdown Tommie said:

One game in and all of the naysayers come on and I told you so in several threads. Very tiring!

Should this team do well this season, the goombas who are over-reacting now will saying something to the effect of "Well, I'm glad things turned out well....Husker fan through and through" while conveniently omitting how they pissed in every thread they could find. There's a difference between mature criticism of a game/staff versus a compulsion to puke in every thread.

• Plus1 5

1 hour ago, Touchdown Tommie said:

One game in and all of the naysayers come on and I told you so in several threads. Very tiring!

Well, this is a discussion board...isn't it? I mean, I guess they could change the rules and make it a board just for posting unicorns and rainbows and showing much love and support for everything that the coaching staff does. But I thought we were allowed to come and voice concerns, vent frustrations, criticize coaching decisions....These coaches make hundreds of thousands of dollars a year to do a job...if they aren't doing it...then I think they should be open to criticism. You will never (NEVER) see me going after the players, calling them out individually or as a group; they are kids brought here to live out their dream and play Husker football. But I feel that the coaching staff is fair game. 

I was not sold on Riley as a choice for Nebraska head coach. I am from So Cal and I remember him as the Chargers head coach, and since I see a lot of Pac 10/12 football, I remember him as the OSU coach. I know that he ran one of those programs where everyone was absolutely thrilled if he could upset one of the big boys once a year...and if he could manage a season with double-digit wins every 5 or 6 years. I don't think that's enough for Nebraska.

As locountry said above, this .500 coaching seems to be in his blood. It doesn't even seem to bother him. 

So reading threads like this is "Very tiring"? Then why do you read them? There are many topics on Huskerboard that don't interest me...I just don't click on them. Maybe you should try that if reading my post is so "tiring". 

• Plus1 5
11 minutes ago, Spooky Tooth said:

Should this team do well this season, the goombas who are over-reacting now will saying something to the effect of "Well, I'm glad things turned out well....Husker fan through and through" while conveniently omitting how they pissed in every thread they could find. There's a difference between mature criticism of a game/staff versus a compulsion to puke in every thread.

Well, I will say right now that I'm a Husker fan through and through and I'm rooting for Riley to go undefeated this season, win the B1G and play for a national championship. I promise now, that if ANY of that happens (or even if he gets close to any of that), I will humbly admit that I misjudged him. But sitting here 2 seasons and a game into his tenure, he has done nothing to change my opinion of him when he was first hired. 

• Plus1 4
4 hours ago, suh_fan93 said:

I still say no matter what he'll be here for another 2-3 years before this administration even thinks about making a move.  That's the part that really scares me.  The administration more than anything and their time table whatever that is if they even have one.  

I don't trust Eichorst to make the right decision to save my life.

I just hope MR doesn't get a contract extension with a raise

• Plus1 2

I hear ya, but I'm happy with this era. It's a slow build. Recruiting's the bedrock. I like the stamp they're putting on this program. I think we're something like how Michigan State and Wisconsin were brewing in past years. Look, the future is as bright looking as it's been. IMO!

• Plus1 3
1 minute ago, zoogs said:

I hear ya, but I'm happy with this era. It's a slow build. Recruiting's the bedrock. I like the stamp they're putting on this program. I think we're something like how Michigan State and Wisconsin were brewing in past years. Look, the future is as bright looking as it's been. IMO!

I guess we can agree to disagree. I see a future filled with mediocrity. I wish I could see it through the same lenses you're looking through. I would love to think the program is moving in a positive direction. I just don't see it. 

• Plus1 1

I was also against the hire at first, but in year 3 Riley has really grown on me and I not only like what he is doing, but I like where he is taking the program.

If you think Riley is a .500 guy and don't think he is much more then that, then just take a look at what is happening at Oregon State under Gary Anderson and without Riley. I think Anderson is a good coach (see Utah State and Wisconsin) and he is flopping in Corvallis. I think this shows just how amazing Riley actually was at Oregon State.

But like others have said, if he doesn't win, he doesn't stay much longer. It is the nature of the job and if that is the case I think when it would be time, Scott Frost will be very well ready as he is doing good things at UCF. Also Riley will have stacked up the roster and left the place better then when he found it.

• Plus1 1
6 minutes ago, BoneyardHusker said:

I was also against the hire at first, but in year 3 Riley has really grown on me and I not only like what he is doing, but I like where he is taking the program.

If you think Riley is a .500 guy and don't think he is much more then that, then just take a look at what is happening at Oregon State under Gary Anderson and without Riley. I think Anderson is a good coach (see Utah State and Wisconsin) and he is flopping in Corvallis. I think this shows just how amazing Riley actually was at Oregon State.

But like others have said, if he doesn't win, he doesn't stay much longer. It is the nature of the job and if that is the case I think when it would be time, Scott Frost will be very well ready as he is doing good things at UCF. Also Riley will have stacked up the roster and left the place better then when he found it.

I disagree with your assessment of things at OSU. Expectations are very low there. Anderson may have winning seasons, and he may have losing seasons (if he stays around long enough), but the fan base and admin won't get too upset with the bad seasons. That's why Riley lasted so long there. 

I will agree that I think the program at NU is in better shape right now than when he arrived, but if that doesn't translate to winning, then what difference does it make? I feel like Scott Frost is a winner. I know he won't win every game he coaches, but he seems to have a winner's mentality. I just think that is lacking in Riley. He is a nice-guy version of Callahan. As I've said before, I hope I'm wrong, but so far, nothing he's done has really changed my mind about him. And I know there are no guarantees that Frost (if he ends up at NU) will be the second coming of TO, but IMO he will be a better fit at Nebraska. 

• Plus1 3
59 minutes ago, California Husker said:

Well, I will say right now that I'm a Husker fan through and through and I'm rooting for Riley to go undefeated this season, win the B1G and play for a national championship. I promise now, that if ANY of that happens (or even if he gets close to any of that), I will humbly admit that I misjudged him. But sitting here 2 seasons and a game into his tenure, he has done nothing to change my opinion of him when he was first hired. 

Thanks for the reasoned response. I'm willing to give him two more years with his recruits. If we're still having this discussion then, I'm with ya.

1 minute ago, Spooky Tooth said:

Thanks for the reasoned response. I'm willing to give him two more years with his recruits. If we're still having this discussion then, I'm with ya.

So I don't know if we come from a different place to start with, or if you are just way more patient and optimistic than I am. Obviously, we get whatever the AD wants us to get. So, I'm afraid we get at least two more years of him no matter what. As I said, if he figures things out this season, and if his recruits and the changes in the coaching staff pay off, I will be absolutely thrilled. I would MUCH rather be wrong and have the Huskers win, than be right and suffer through losing. So I guess we'll see. I sincerely (and I can't emphasize this enough) sincerely, hope that I am wrong. GO BIG RED!!!

47 minutes ago, California Husker said:

I disagree with your assessment of things at OSU. Expectations are very low there. Anderson may have winning seasons, and he may have losing seasons (if he stays around long enough), but the fan base and admin won't get too upset with the bad seasons. That's why Riley lasted so long there. 

I will agree that I think the program at NU is in better shape right now than when he arrived, but if that doesn't translate to winning, then what difference does it make? I feel like Scott Frost is a winner. I know he won't win every game he coaches, but he seems to have a winner's mentality. I just think that is lacking in Riley. He is a nice-guy version of Callahan. As I've said before, I hope I'm wrong, but so far, nothing he's done has really changed my mind about him. And I know there are no guarantees that Frost (if he ends up at NU) will be the second coming of TO, but IMO he will be a better fit at Nebraska. 

I agree with your thoughts on Frost, and I think he will be the next head coach at Nebraska whenever Riley is done, be it retirement, moving on, or fired. I think Riley is doing fine and last nights game hopefully was an overreaction by many of us. Nebraska can bounce back with a good win next week at Oregon and if that is the case there is no reason to think this team cant be unbeaten going into Wisconsin, then there will be a different tune around Lincoln and the Wisconsin game becomes huge.

The thing about Oregon State is, yes their expectations are lower there, but Riley brought expectations to a program with zero expectations. He actually made OSU competitive and everyone who is a Beaver is finding out just how hard that actually is to do.

Riley is starting to get his recruits here, and his offense implemented. I still think this offense is one year away from being very good, but I think we will win several games this year with the offense. Riley produced 3 NFL QBs while at Oregon State.......3 NFL QBs from Oregon....State....He finally has a real QB with Lee at the helm and we should see great things.

This year I basically just want to beat Oregon and Wisconsin and be in talks for the West title in November, but lets be real, with where Ohio State and Michigan are at right now we aren't winning the B1G. Of course our expectations should be to win conference titles every year since we are Nebraska, but being realistic this just isn't going to be the year. However, next year should be that year where the real expectations are B1G West title and competing with the Ohio States, and to be honest, with what we are building on offense, I think that could be a possibility.

• Plus1 1