1 hour ago, California Husker said:

Well, this is a discussion board...isn't it? I mean, I guess they could change the rules and make it a board just for posting unicorns and rainbows and showing much love and support for everything that the coaching staff does. But I thought we were allowed to come and voice concerns, vent frustrations, criticize coaching decisions....These coaches make hundreds of thousands of dollars a year to do a job...if they aren't doing it...then I think they should be open to criticism. You will never (NEVER) see me going after the players, calling them out individually or as a group; they are kids brought here to live out their dream and play Husker football. But I feel that the coaching staff is fair game. 

I was not sold on Riley as a choice for Nebraska head coach. I am from So Cal and I remember him as the Chargers head coach, and since I see a lot of Pac 10/12 football, I remember him as the OSU coach. I know that he ran one of those programs where everyone was absolutely thrilled if he could upset one of the big boys once a year...and if he could manage a season with double-digit wins every 5 or 6 years. I don't think that's enough for Nebraska.

As locountry said above, this .500 coaching seems to be in his blood. It doesn't even seem to bother him. 

So reading threads like this is "Very tiring"? Then why do you read them? There are many topics on Huskerboard that don't interest me...I just don't click on them. Maybe you should try that if reading my post is so "tiring". 

I will say it again...settle down Francis...wow!

25 minutes ago, BoneyardHusker said:

I agree with your thoughts on Frost, and I think he will be the next head coach at Nebraska whenever Riley is done, be it retirement, moving on, or fired. I think Riley is doing fine and last nights game hopefully was an overreaction by many of us. Nebraska can bounce back with a good win next week at Oregon and if that is the case there is no reason to think this team cant be unbeaten going into Wisconsin, then there will be a different tune around Lincoln and the Wisconsin game becomes huge.

The thing about Oregon State is, yes their expectations are lower there, but Riley brought expectations to a program with zero expectations. He actually made OSU competitive and everyone who is a Beaver is finding out just how hard that actually is to do.

Riley is starting to get his recruits here, and his offense implemented. I still think this offense is one year away from being very good, but I think we will win several games this year with the offense. Riley produced 3 NFL QBs while at Oregon State.......3 NFL QBs from Oregon....State....He finally has a real QB with Lee at the helm and we should see great things.

This year I basically just want to beat Oregon and Wisconsin and be in talks for the West title in November, but lets be real, with where Ohio State and Michigan are at right now we aren't winning the B1G. Of course our expectations should be to win conference titles every year since we are Nebraska, but being realistic this just isn't going to be the year. However, next year should be that year where the real expectations are B1G West title and competing with the Ohio States, and to be honest, with what we are building on offense, I think that could be a possibility.

There is no question that Riley can prepare NFL players. He also sent several receivers to the NFL as well. I would LOVE to beat Oregon and Wisconsin this season, but, at least right now, it doesn't look good. 

Perhaps I overestimated expectations at OSU when I said they were "low", perhaps your assessment of "zero" is more accurate. I just don't think any coach should sit around and accept that just because expectations are low, it's okay to aspire to those expectations. Look at places where expectations weren't very high and yet a good coach has still turned a program around and made them truly competitive. Utah, Baylor, Stanford, TCU, hell even Wisconsin, and of course who could forget how bad Oregon used to be? I don't really agree that Riley made OSU competitive. He had a couple of seasons with double digit wins, but OSU was never really a threat to win the Pac 10/12. 

Hey, I had convinced myself that things would be different this year. The fact that he manned up and fired his buddies. The new defense. Having "his" players in place...but then I watch him on the sideline, and he just doesn't inspire me. There is no fire...And no, I don't want Bo back, but I just want a coach that acts like he wants to win. I guess time will tell. I keep saying it, but I hope I'm wrong. 

2 minutes ago, Touchdown Tommie said:

I know i said it to someone else dude. Speaking of new material, you may want to look into it as well. 

Dude, seriously, are you just following this thread to pick a fight. Let it go. You don't like threads that complain about the coaching...I think we all get that.

• Plus1 3

10 minutes ago, California Husker said:

There is no question that Riley can prepare NFL players. He also sent several receivers to the NFL as well. I would LOVE to beat Oregon and Wisconsin this season, but, at least right now, it doesn't look good. 

Perhaps I overestimated expectations at OSU when I said they were "low", perhaps your assessment of "zero" is more accurate. I just don't think any coach should sit around and accept that just because expectations are low, it's okay to aspire to those expectations. Look at places where expectations weren't very high and yet a good coach has still turned a program around and made them truly competitive. Utah, Baylor, Stanford, TCU, hell even Wisconsin, and of course who could forget how bad Oregon used to be? I don't really agree that Riley made OSU competitive. He had a couple of seasons with double digit wins, but OSU was never really a threat to win the Pac 10/12. 

Hey, I had convinced myself that things would be different this year. The fact that he manned up and fired his buddies. The new defense. Having "his" players in place...but then I watch him on the sideline, and he just doesn't inspire me. There is no fire...And no, I don't want Bo back, but I just want a coach that acts like he wants to win. I guess time will tell. I keep saying it, but I hope I'm wrong. 

Well I think everyone realizes just how hard 10+ win seasons in Corvallis actually is. Also, the Beavers were threats I think in 2008-2009 seasons to win the PAC and go to the rose bowl and they came up just short in the Civil War games where the winner determined who was going to the Rose Bowl.

Also I think Riley was in Corvallis for as long as he was because he liked it. I don't think it had to do with having it easy or no expectations, I think he genuinely liked the small town of Corvallis and the program. It might be why Nebraska and Lincoln could be a great fit for him.

I think whether people have bought into Riley or not, he at the very least as one more year at Nebraska.

• Plus1 1
3 minutes ago, BoneyardHusker said:

Well I think everyone realizes just how hard 10+ win seasons in Corvallis actually is. Also, the Beavers were threats I think in 2008-2009 seasons to win the PAC and go to the rose bowl and they came up just short in the Civil War games where the winner determined who was going to the Rose Bowl.

Also I think Riley was in Corvallis for as long as he was because he liked it. I don't think it had to do with having it easy or no expectations, I think he genuinely liked the small town of Corvallis and the program. It might be why Nebraska and Lincoln could be a great fit for him.

I think whether people have bought into Riley or not, he at the very least as one more year at Nebraska.

Well, I guess it's just a difference in perspective. Yeah, there were a couple of times when it looked like OSU had a path to the Rose Bowl, but what I meant was that there really wasn't any serious threat. And maybe winning 10 games in Corvallis is difficult...but why? Why is it any more difficult than winning 10 games in Boise, or Eugene, or Madison, or Salt Lake City? I mean, winning 10 games in those places seems pretty normal now, but it didn't always. And it's not like Riley wasn't given time to get "his" players into Corvallis. 

The one thing I totally agree with is that he will be in Lincoln for another year (this one and one more). They won't fire him (and I'm not calling for his head). I just wish he wasn't here. I wish he would retire after this season and we could give Scott Frost a chance. A guy can dream. 

Here is where I am at.  Riley has improved the temperament of the program, improved the face of the program and recruiting seems to be improving.  (losing 3 at the end hurt 2017 IMO).  2018 is shaping up nicely, but again, not signed.  After last night, I think Micah Parsons is salivating to be here.  BUT can Riley get the monkey off his back and prove he is a winner?  Only time will tell.  Some guys have "it" and some don't....  This is based off a career of Riley, not a few seasons as HC.  Hoping I'm wrong.  

Living in the south, I get a lot of Sunbelt football.  Watch it as I like the offenses many run.  ASU is a good football team. Defensively (last year) led the nation in TFL and were 6th in sacks....  There DE, Rolland-Jones needs 13.5 sacks to get the FBS record.  Regardless of conference, thats pretty solid D.  I truly thought this would be a great test for our OL.  Really, one of the better DL we will see.  What shocked me, disappointed me, concerned me was the inability of our D to stop their O.  They replaced all their starters on the OL....that averaged about 250 yards/game last year...  and made our D look slow, unsure and lost.  I am hoping that this game was/is the kick in the nuts the team needed.  Nor do I believe that we played "vanilla".  You don't let a team like ASU hang around smelling blood and "hope" the D that allowed them almost 500 yards continues to hold.  That's wishful thinking.  

Oregon will really let us know where we are.  We keep the base 3-4, don't run a nickel or dime, we get boat raced.  We eat the clock, let Tanner make them pay if they crowd the box and emulate how teams completely negate our screen game we win....We continue to bend and not break, we will see the break against a team with equal depth and athletes in Oregon....

Regardless of folks views, those on this board are all diehard Husker fans....wanting the same thing.  Wins and a return to the elite levels.  sadly, a lot of fans remember those days through youtube and google searches....

• Plus1 1
5 minutes ago, lo country said:

Here is where I am at.  Riley has improved the temperament of the program, improved the face of the program and recruiting seems to be improving.  (losing 3 at the end hurt 2017 IMO).  2018 is shaping up nicely, but again, not signed.  After last night, I think Micah Parsons is salivating to be here.  BUT can Riley get the monkey off his back and prove he is a winner?  Only time will tell.  Some guys have "it" and some don't....  This is based off a career of Riley, not a few seasons as HC.  Hoping I'm wrong.  

Living in the south, I get a lot of Sunbelt football.  Watch it as I like the offenses many run.  ASU is a good football team. Defensively (last year) led the nation in TFL and were 6th in sacks....  There DE, Rolland-Jones needs 13.5 sacks to get the FBS record.  Regardless of conference, thats pretty solid D.  I truly thought this would be a great test for our OL.  Really, one of the better DL we will see.  What shocked me, disappointed me, concerned me was the inability of our D to stop their O.  They replaced all their starters on the OL....that averaged about 250 yards/game last year...  and made our D look slow, unsure and lost.  I am hoping that this game was/is the kick in the nuts the team needed.  Nor do I believe that we played "vanilla".  You don't let a team like ASU hang around smelling blood and "hope" the D that allowed them almost 500 yards continues to hold.  That's wishful thinking.  

Oregon will really let us know where we are.  We keep the base 3-4, don't run a nickel or dime, we get boat raced.  We eat the clock, let Tanner make them pay if they crowd the box and emulate how teams completely negate our screen game we win....We continue to bend and not break, we will see the break against a team with equal depth and athletes in Oregon....

Regardless of folks views, those on this board are all diehard Husker fans....wanting the same thing.  Wins and a return to the elite levels.  sadly, a lot of fans remember those days through youtube and google searches....

I believe a majority that don't" really" seem to mind the new  status quo, were not even born or were  little kids when we played hard nosed football here  and more importantly could play with anybody in the country and we were to be feared. I do Is it wrong to aspire to that? In this generation probably yes!

• Plus1 1
47 minutes ago, California Husker said:

Well, I guess it's just a difference in perspective. Yeah, there were a couple of times when it looked like OSU had a path to the Rose Bowl, but what I meant was that there really wasn't any serious threat. And maybe winning 10 games in Corvallis is difficult...but why? Why is it any more difficult than winning 10 games in Boise, or Eugene, or Madison, or Salt Lake City? I mean, winning 10 games in those places seems pretty normal now, but it didn't always. And it's not like Riley wasn't given time to get "his" players into Corvallis. 

The one thing I totally agree with is that he will be in Lincoln for another year (this one and one more). They won't fire him (and I'm not calling for his head). I just wish he wasn't here. I wish he would retire after this season and we could give Scott Frost a chance. A guy can dream. 

Corvallis is a population of about 55,000 people and relatively in the middle of nowhere compared to the other cities you list. The other places you listed are actually cities. Corvallis is a small town. Also Oregon State had/has some of the worst facilities in the Pac-12 and you are recruiting and competing with the Nike giant just South of you.

• Plus1 1

I will say this.  Despite his career record I don't know if there's a more likable coach out there.  I definitely like and respect Mike Riley as a person.  Even though I don't think ultimately he's the guy to get Nebraska 'back' at least for now I don't have to worry about him embarrassing himself like Bo did on a weekly basis.   

• Plus1 3
20 hours ago, California Husker said:

Dude, seriously, are you just following this thread to pick a fight. Let it go. You don't like threads that complain about the coaching...I think we all get that.

Complaining about the coach is fine and they probably deserve some of it.  However, who starts a thread titled .500?

MR is 1-0 this year = 1.000

MR is 16-11 at NU = 0.593

MR is 109-91 as HC = 0.545

Each of those numbers are less important as you do down - lets focus on NU and 2017

If you want to be taken seriously - start with a true statement or true facts...

• Plus1 1
2 hours ago, BlitzFirst said:

I love how everyone ignores the above in this thread because it makes their arguments moot.

Ignoring facts like that broganrynik pointed out doesn't make them untrue folks.  

Saban had success at Toledo before he got Michigan State. At MSU, after a couple years, he lead them to their first double digit win season in 30 years. Then he went to LSU  and won a national title, before going to the Dolphins.

He was also learning the ropes at those gigs, and hadn't been coaching for four and a half decades at that point.

• Plus1 3