22 hours ago, BoneyardHusker said:

Corvallis is a population of about 55,000 people and relatively in the middle of nowhere compared to the other cities you list. The other places you listed are actually cities. Corvallis is a small town. Also Oregon State had/has some of the worst facilities in the Pac-12 and you are recruiting and competing with the Nike giant just South of you.

Bingo.  Corvallis doesn't  even have an airport.  Want to know how they fly guys in?  They fly them to Eugene's airport and then drive the 30 miles to Corvallis.  

Wait...if he can't be judged by his time at OSU what can he be judged on?  I am assuming nothing.

Toss out the record and look at what OSU fans said about him forever...

Bad clock management and bad game management.  Doesn't matter what school you are at when it comes to those things.  

• Plus1 2
Just now, teachercd said:

Wait...if he can't be judged by his time at OSU what can he be judged on?  I am assuming nothing.

Toss out the record and look at what OSU fans said about him forever...

Bad clock management and bad game management.  Doesn't matter what school you are at when it comes to those things.  

I'd say go ahead and judge Riley on his time at Oregon State, and like I said earlier, I think it goes to Riley's benefit. Beaver fans are seeing now just how lucky they were to have Riley. He very well won 9-10 games at an un winnable place.

1 minute ago, BoneyardHusker said:

I'd say go ahead and judge Riley on his time at Oregon State, and like I said earlier, I think it goes to Riley's benefit. Beaver fans are seeing now just how lucky they were to have Riley. He very well won 9-10 games at an un winnable place.

Riley left that place a mess.  There is a reason he was all of a sudden so happy/quick to leave after allegedly turning down USC and his Bama.

• Plus1 1

On 9/3/2017 at 1:26 PM, Wander Mands said:

I have been following the Huskers since 1963.  I would rather now blame Riley.  The Huskers are just not tough anymore.  They haven't been since Solich was fired.  He just couldn't recruit.  The Huskers and Longhorns share the same deficit.  They lack that toughness of yesteryears

Toughness of yesteryear gets you flagged for unnecessary roughness nowadays. 

• Plus1 2
23 hours ago, marko polo said:

I believe a majority that don't" really" seem to mind the new  status quo, were not even born or were  little kids when we played hard nosed football here  and more importantly could play with anybody in the country and we were to be feared. I do Is it wrong to aspire to that? In this generation probably yes!

You keep saying this, but I see no evidence that people don't mind. None. 

Nobody, and I mean nobody, is satisfied with 9 -4 seasons that don't include a division championship as the new status quo.

We fired a coach for that just two years ago. A lot of people jumped on Eichorst for firing Bo, but iirc the concern was that the Huskers would have trouble attracting coaches if we fired consistent 9 game winners. The question wasn't whether we accepted Bo Pelini's 9 win seasons as the status quo, but whether we should give him another chance to do better. Or worse. Bo didn't help his cause in any number of ways, but not winning the right games was the only reason that mattered. 

Nobody was remotely satisfied with Mike Riley's 6-7 season, but late season trending offered a sliver of hope. The 9-4 season was undeniably better, but I don't recall a single person saying it was good enough. Since recruiting is Riley's strongsuit, only an idiot wouldn't grant Riley a couple seasons to work with his own handpicked guys. 

So Marko, the people who gently bust your balls here aren't naive or easily satisfied or clueless about football or ignorant about Nebraska's golden age. Some of us just don't think we should fire Eichorst and Riley immediately so we can start a new chapter with a pricy can't miss hire like Tom Herman or Jim McElwain.

• Plus1 2
1 hour ago, BlitzFirst said:

Regardless, he wasn't lighting the world on fire until he established what he wanted at Alabama.  Not saying MR is Saban...just saying, you can't judge a book by the ceiling they had at other programs.

So he was just an elite coach before Bama, and now he's possibly the GOAT.

Ok.

I hope Riley's story has a happy ending, but I just don't know if it will. He's the second most experienced coach in college football, and the story is still the same.

• Plus1 4
2 hours ago, LaunchCode said:

There's a tiny loud minority of people who were really hurt when Bo was fired.  They've become miserable fans, can't find a single positive with any aspect of the program and are now committed to spreading their misery to others.  At the end of the day, they rejoice in N deficiencies and point them out ad naseum while ignoring or minimizing strengths/successes.  

Then there are the folks who live in the past.  All they remember are the highlights and measure the present against those highlights.  Problem is, they don't recall anything but the highlights so their measure is more than just unrealistic it's fairy tale stuff.   In the  game of myth vs reality, myth will always win out in their way of seeing things.  Believe it or not, there were plenty of low light moments and performances that went into building the glory years.  It took time, trial and error, and years in the making. 

Finally you have the impulsive/immature poster.  The difference between a baby and a man is, the baby wants something and wants it now and if he doesn't get it will start crying.  A man has the mental capacity to discern there aint no such thing as a fee lunch.  Things aren't served on a silver platter and just handed to you on a whim in the real world.  You actually have to put in time and some work to get what you want.  Message boarding is the perfect medium for the immediate gratification crowd who still have a lot of baby left in them.  

You have verbalized exactly what I have been thinking for a long time.  I fail to understand the "gotta turn the program around in 6 weeks crowd."  Tom O wasn't an instant success at Nebraska even tho he was the OC for Bob D.  It took him awhile (21 years) to establish what he wanted, find the right players, create a system where he could be more effective and win the Natl Championship Game.  His offenses were meteoric but his D was often lacking.  They finally figured it out by going to the 4-3 with more speed.  Mike R is bringing in some quality offensive and defensive skill players but so far the line recruits haven't caught up.  If we don't get our panties in a bunch, success will come.

• Plus1 3

2 hours ago, teachercd said:

Riley left that place a mess.  There is a reason he was all of a sudden so happy/quick to leave after allegedly turning down USC and his Bama.

That seems fitting because he came to a MESS at NU - lets see how clean he can make it!!!

2 hours ago, teachercd said:

Hey coachd! Weird that you registered to an OSU board just to hate on Riley there too. Did you actually start the phrase "Mediocre Mike?" Looks like most of them don't think he's so mediocre now.

4 hours ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

You keep saying this, but I see no evidence that people don't mind. None. 

Nobody, and I mean nobody, is satisfied with 9 -4 seasons that don't include a division championship as the new status quo.

We fired a coach for that just two years ago. A lot of people jumped on Eichorst for firing Bo, but iirc the concern was that the Huskers would have trouble attracting coaches if we fired consistent 9 game winners. The question wasn't whether we accepted Bo Pelini's 9 win seasons as the status quo, but whether we should give him another chance to do better. Or worse. Bo didn't help his cause in any number of ways, but not winning the right games was the only reason that mattered. 

Nobody was remotely satisfied with Mike Riley's 6-7 season, but late season trending offered a sliver of hope. The 9-4 season was undeniably better, but I don't recall a single person saying it was good enough. Since recruiting is Riley's strongsuit, only an idiot wouldn't grant Riley a couple seasons to work with his own handpicked guys. 

So Marko, the people who gently bust your balls here aren't naive or easily satisfied or clueless about football or ignorant about Nebraska's golden age. Some of us just don't think we should fire Eichorst and Riley immediately so we can start a new chapter with a pricy can't miss hire like Tom Herman or Jim McElwain.

Guy I don't believe I have said fire him right now! We can't , but I am 99% sure we wil not be a contender with Mike at the helm, and that bums me out.