9 hours ago, GBRFAN said:

Complaining about the coach is fine and they probably deserve some of it.  However, who starts a thread titled .500?

MR is 1-0 this year = 1.000

MR is 16-11 at NU = 0.593

MR is 109-91 as HC = 0.545

Each of those numbers are less important as you do down - lets focus on NU and 2017

If you want to be taken seriously - start with a true statement or true facts...

So, since I knew there would be one of those people out there that take everything absolutely literally and can't understand nuances in the English language, and therefore feels the need to quote statistics to try to "prove me wrong". I included a statement to my OP explaining that I know he is not EXACTLY .500 

Should I have titled the thread .545? Or .593? For the purposes of NORMAL conversation, if his numbers are in the .500s, then he is a .500 coach. 

And, to answer your question ("who starts a thread titled .500?"): I started a thread titled .500 That's what our current head coach is....a .500 coach. That's what he has always been and that's what he's been since he arrived at Nebraska. His mediocre career as a head coach has been an issue since his hire and he's done nothing yet to change that perception. Particularly the way he roams the sidelines cluelessly as the team goes into partial and sometimes total meltdown. It is a legitimate conversation until something changes.

I can't help it if you totally missed the point of my post. 

• Plus1 2

Folks get back on topic please. Otherwise this thread will easily lead down the path of personal attacks. The Mods are aware of this thread. I want to be lazy and not have to moderate. Please focus on football and not other posters behavior. It makes my life a lot easier. 

• Plus1 3
On 9/3/2017 at 3:18 PM, BoneyardHusker said:

Corvallis is a population of about 55,000 people and relatively in the middle of nowhere compared to the other cities you list. The other places you listed are actually cities. Corvallis is a small town. Also Oregon State had/has some of the worst facilities in the Pac-12 and you are recruiting and competing with the Nike giant just South of you.

Yeah, Corvallis is a small town, but it's really close to Eugene (home of Oregon) and Salem (state capital) and it's a little over 70 miles from Portland with a pop of nearly three-quarters of a million people. And Riley was there forever, why didn't he do something to improve the facilities? Why didn't he court Adidas, they're up there in the Pacific NorthWest. Maybe they would have enjoyed helping out the rival of Nike's corporate mascot. I know he wasn't the AD, but seriously, he had to have some pull being the institution he was with that program. 

I just don't buy all the excuses. He was a .500 coach, I just think that's what's in his blood. 

Hey, this is my 1776 post....GO USA!!!

• Plus1 1
17 hours ago, teachercd said:

Wait...if he can't be judged by his time at OSU what can he be judged on?  I am assuming nothing.

Toss out the record and look at what OSU fans said about him forever...

Bad clock management and bad game management.  Doesn't matter what school you are at when it comes to those things.  

I said you can't judge based on his record there, not by his time there. 

15 hours ago, marko polo said:

Guy I don't believe I have said fire him right now! We can't , but I am 99% sure we wil not be a contender with Mike at the helm, and that bums me out.

But why are you so angry at other posters for not being angry enough? 

What exactly are you doing that we're not? 

15 hours ago, teachercd said:

Only an idiot would have hired him in the first place for this job.  

Also...who cares about how much they have to pay for a coach?  No one

No one?

Pretty sizable contingent of people on this very board contend the problem has been the University's unwillingness to open the checkbook for premium coaching talent, dating back to Solich's firing. Please don't make me go back and pull quotes. You might be in there.

Herman and McElwain are two coaches we would presumably have preferred over Riley (doubtful they'd have come here) and their opening games at legendary football programs have fans in no less of an uproar than we are here. A Regent at Texas A&M publicly called for Kevin Sumlin's firing. 

And the "only an idiot? line. Geez. I don't know. Not all of these guys are idiots.

Tom Lemming ‏@LemmingReport

Only time will tell but my guess is Mike Riley will bring Nebraska back to national prominence.

Damon Benning ‏@damonbenning

Amongst his peers, Mike Riley finished 2nd in an ESPN poll behind Cutcliffe as the most underrated coach in the country.

Tommie Frazier ‏@TouchdownTommie

Good Hire by NU today.

George Schroeder @GeorgeSchroeder ·

Just landed to news of Mike Riley to Nebraska. Truly stunning — but that is a GREAT hire.

Scott Shanle ‏@scottshanle

After hearing from many people who know Mike Riley personally I am optimistic about the future of @Huskers football.

Sean Callahan ‏@Sean_Callahan

Another interesting tidbit about Mike Riley is he opened all practices at Oregon State to media and fans.

Also the fact USC courted him in 2011, and Alabama offered him their job in 2002 intrigues me on what drew him to make this move now?

Dan Hoppen ‏@danhoppen

Mike Riley was heavily rumored to replace Pete Carroll at USC in 2010, Dennis Franchione at Alabama in 2002. He must like NU’s prospects.

Mike Farrell ‏@rivalsmike

I may be in the minority here but I like the Riley hire for #Huskers better than the McElwain hire for #Gators. Thoughts?

Mark McMillian ‏@MarkMcMillian29

If Mike Riley offered my son or any kid I coach I would send them in a heartbeat this man is all about the kids & families #GBR #Nebraska

Rich Kaipust ‏@RKaipustOWH

I liked this poll back in September because it was a vote of coaching peers -- and Mike Riley scored high on it http://es.pn/1Dc1ACC

Brian Christopherson ‏@HuskerExtraBC

Remember this when viewing Riley's record at OSU. MT @Hlas Oregon State had 28 straight losing football seasons, from '71 thru '98.

Jay Foreman ‏@foreman5655

A few things that will be different:player development and pro off!! That alone I'm cool with! Chips in!#HuskerNation

Brock Huard ‏@BrockESPN

No one in CFB I'd trust more with my son in his program than new NEB Coach Mike Riley. Judge this hire after you see the staff he assembles

John Bishop ‏@JohnBishop71

#Huskers could double Riley's OSU salary and still be on budget with last year. Look for assistant salary pool to be strong.

Jon Nyatawa ‏@JonNyatawa

“He has done more with less at Oregon St than almost any coach I know" -- former NU AD Bill Byrne

Jeremy Crabtree ‏@jeremycrabtree

#Pac12 assistant on Mike Riley: “Our recruiting jobs just got a lot easier. He was the best talent evaluator in the conference by far.”

danny woodhead

‪@danny__woodhead

Follow

Mike Riley was my coach at the hula bowl and thought he was a great guy ‪#realexcitedaboutthehire

10:20 AM - 4 Dec 2014

Joel Klatt

‪@joelklatt

Follow

I'm a huge fan of Mike Riley...yes, he is a wonderful person...he is also a GREAT football coach

10:25 AM - 4 Dec 2014

Sam Ponder

‪@sam_ponder

Follow

LOVE that hire for Nebraska. Handful of coaches I'd want my kid to play for/learn from... Mike Riley's top 5 for sure.

9:46 AM - 4 Dec 2014

Doug Gottlieb

‪@GottliebShow

Follow

If you don't like Mike Riley, that is a you problem. Congrats ‪#Nebraska between Riley&Tim Miles 2of the most liked/respected in their sports

Jay Moore ‪@jaymoore44

Follow

Now I'm really liking this hire ‪#Huskers ‪#GBR

10:44 AM - 4 Dec 2014

Kirk Herbstreit

‪@KirkHerbstreit

Follow

If it's done...great hire by ‪@Huskers getting Mike Riley from Oregon State!!

Dennis Dodd

‪@dennisdoddcbs

Follow

MIke Riley was always squeezing blood out of a tomato in Corvallis. More infrastructure at Neb. Love the hire.

9:54 AM - 4 Dec 2014

Mack Brown

‪@ESPN_CoachMack

Follow

Mike Riley is a great hire @ Neb. Super fit for both. Good job Huskers

Rivals.com national recruiting director Mike Farrell tweeted that the hiring is a "home run."

"I don't think Huskers fans realize what a well-respected game coach Riley is and how hard it is to win in Corvallis," Farrell wrote.

• Plus1 3
1 hour ago, marko polo said:

Who might that we be? I have no idea which group is the we group.

The people who you're constantly assaulting with exclamation points!!!!!

You know, the people with their head in the sand! The people who don't mind the new status quo!

The people who refuse to be honest! Who lack your critical thought!  Who won't pull their head out of their as$$$es!

What exactly are we missing that you see so clearly, and what should we do next?