Shatel: Bob Diaco's refusal for postgame interview unacceptable

Saunders

Did Langsdorf do a post-game interview? Did any of the reporters bother to ask him why he wasn't working the clock at the end of the game? So many more things game related to write about.

and to be fair, i didnt get to watch the end of the game last night. watching it now and hoping i dvr'ed enough of the following program.

I'd like to think if Diaco was suppose to give a post game interview, he bypassed it not because he wanted to dodge questions, but because he was so fired up and had some yelling, coaching, and talking to take care of.

For goodness sake, it was the first game of the season in a completely new defensive scheme. Even given the terrible defensive performance it would be a fairly easy post game interview to give, because you could just fall back to "It's the first game we are learning." Line over and over.

• Plus1 1
30 minutes ago, desertshox said:

Did Langsdorf do a post-game interview? Did any of the reporters bother to ask him why he wasn't working the clock at the end of the game? So many more things game related to write about.

and to be fair, i didnt get to watch the end of the game last night. watching it now and hoping i dvr'ed enough of the following program.

Yes Langsdork did do an interview.  And yes it's very important he talks to the media.  You want the fans to think they wouldn't understand your answers for your poor performance?  See how that goes for him

1 minute ago, BoneyardHusker said:

He gets a great chance to redeem himself in 6 days when his defense goes up against a team that just hung 77 points on someone. Also a team that is loaded with some really good RB talent and solid QB play.

Someone might be an overstatement.  That team is nowhere close to being a decent team.  But Oregon does have some talent 

Of course it is unacceptable....to the media. It highlights how useless they are. Anybody that has a brain and watches the games doesn't need some know it all sportswriters spinning tales of what really happened. I don't have much use for the Nebraska sportswriters coverage of football. They all seem to have their own little agenda whether it be creating controversy, generating clicks or propping up or tearing down certain coaches. I'm glad he dodged them.

• Plus1 6

Charlie McBride stunk up Memorial stadium early in his career on occasion. I understand that. What needs to happen right now is for Riley and Diaco to come out with a no-holds-barred critique of what happened, and how it's going to be fixed. That won't satisfy some of the Nostradami on the board but it's the mature--and public relations--thing to do. Diaco running away from discussion not acceptable.

I mean, I don't care about the result. ASU looked pretty feisty, sometimes these things happen, especially in Game 1...I guess? 

But the warning sign is if a coach feels this heat is too much, or needs to be protected. This staff handles things the right way almost all the time, so let's see how they handle this one. It was odd, and this is objectively a fair question. This doesn't seem like them. I think they'll realize it. The last staff, of course, would have been "screw you guys. It's your fault. The media is hurting us." 

12 minutes ago, MyBloodIsRed16 said:

Maybe he had Diarhea or a family emergency.  Who cares.  Defense got stop when we needed one and the team won.  Do any of the coaches really say anything enlightening after games anyway?  

I care. They are paid an ungodly amount of money and they should treat the public as they would treat their boss. Because we are the boss. Do you get to run from your boss?  

3 minutes ago, Spooky Tooth said:

Charlie McBride stunk up Memorial stadium early in his career on occasion. I understand that. What needs to happen right now is for Riley and Diaco to come out with a no-holds-barred critique of what happened, and how it's going to be fixed. That won't satisfy some of the Nostradami on the board but it's the mature--and public relations--thing to do. Diaco running away from discussion not acceptable.

Accountability  is a good character builder. As long as the defense evolves to a better version, I'm good. But it starts with the coach. 

• Plus1 1

I think this is a bit overblown. Sure, I would prefer that he talk to reporters after the game. It isn't a big deal to me though. Some head coaches don't allow the coordinators to ever speak to the media.

If it was the head coach refusing to do media I would have a completely different opinion.