Shatel: Bob Diaco's refusal for postgame interview unacceptable

Saunders

1 minute ago, dvdcrr said:

I dunno.  His job is to coach football. The media is secondary.  If you could pick between a winning coach who never says a word, and a losing coach who siits down and spews BS till somebody turns off the lights what would you pick? What wiuld Shatel pick?

Personally if he is gonna do a lot of talking, I'd rather that he talk to his players than Tom Shatel.  

Also, time from now until Oregon is finite.  Maybe he just wanted to get right to film.  

Ever watch a Belichek presser? He gives them nothing and his answers border on open contempt and ridicule. You literally get nothing out of him. But his teams win so it's just Bill being eccentric right? At least his make me laugh tho

• Plus1 1

Fans pick the winning coach that doesn't talk (That is not going to be Riley)

Reports need quotes though.

Just now, olddominionhusker said:

Ever watch a Belichek presser? He gives them nothing and his answers border on open contempt and ridicule. You literally get nothing out of him. But his teams win so it's just Bill being eccentric right? At least his make me laugh tho

Yep!

Also...his interviews have kind of become "cool"

1 hour ago, zoogs said:

Diaco's response has me shaking my head. Wtf, Bob. Expected better.

This was a Bo move. The only thing "ridiculous" or "disappointing" here is to see a coach in Riley's program being so easily baited into this response after his first game, a win no less.

Completely on Diaco's side on this one. The media let their hurt feelings/egos get in the way of their (supposedly) unbiased reporting. They were clearly out for Diaco after he skipped out on the post game interviews, despite not knowing what he and Riley might have had planned. 

Their work since Saturday has been nothing but careless opinion pieces, rather than legitimate journalistic work.

And Diaco's response was perfect. Well thought out, and direct. Which can't be said for Bo, and his responses to the media.

• Plus1 2
1 minute ago, B.B. Hemingway said:

Completely on Diaco's side on this one. The media let their hurt feelings/egos get in the way of their (supposedly) unbiased reporting. They were clearly out for Diaco after he skipped out on the post game interviews, despite not knowing what he and Riley might have had planned. 

Their work since Saturday has been nothing but careless opinion pieces, rather than legitimate journalistic work.

And Diaco's response was perfect. Well thought out, and direct. Which can't be said for Bo, and his responses to the media.

Yes! There were other ways Shatel could have dealt with this without immediately resorting to what amounts to a public hit piece. Maybe talk to Riley and ask him about it. Talk to media relations. 

Now I really wish Diaco hadn't taken the bait but instead just gave incredibly bland press conferences with one word answers. 

Or even just go full Maarshawn Lynch on them and keep repeating the same thing

• Plus1 2

26 minutes ago, olddominionhusker said:

If he were a head coach yes. But there are plenty of programs where coordinators do not routinely address the press. 

Look, I understand why some people want to hear the bullsh#t coach cliches that you are going to get in these situations. I just came to the conclusion a long time ago that they offer no value to me personally. 

However, regardless of what side of the fence you may be on, I think most would agree that this is not an issue that needs to be front and center going into an important game. It's a stupid distraction. Shatel is a whiny ass for writing a column about it and Diaco is stupid for rising to take the bait. It could have been resolved privately through Riley I'm sure

That sounds like a great headline for the sports page......'Sports Writer Shatel Is A Whiny Ass'.

2 hours ago, zoogs said:

Diaco's response has me shaking my head. Wtf, Bob. Expected better.

This was a Bo move. The only thing "ridiculous" or "disappointing" here is to see a coach in Riley's program being so easily baited into this response after his first game, a win no less.

How is this anything at all similar to a Bo move? Bo despised the media and fans and expectations. Where are you getting even an inkling of this from Diaco? I suppose you can make the assumption that he is a liar and that he did know he was supposed to do post game pressers but that would say more about you than it does Bob. Simple fact of the matter is there are a whole bunch of people who seem to  be validated and get their self worth from a sport played by 18 to 23 yr old young men. These people wanted nothing more than to crucify the guy they felt responsible for letting them down. I won't even go into the fact our team won the game. They were embarrassed by the defense this guy fielded and they feel they are owed their pound of flesh. Bo move? BS, it's a bunch of people who want their little hissy fit satiated.

Diaco not answering questions after a truly BAFFLING season-opening performance from his unit was puzzling. There's nothing unfair about that. It could easily, easily have been mea culpa'd away. Instead he went to the podium, called the whole thing ridiculous, and threw his head coach under the bus in the process. He even went as far as pointing out he got stuck in a freight elevator. Look, there was an easy response to this and it's an "our bad". I'm frankly surprised it didn't come from Riley himself.

If this is how he's responding now, I shudder to think how ugly it's going to get when they start losing games, and they will. "Us Against The World" develops when small moments and honest questions are interpreted as crucifixion. Accountability goes by the wayside when your team leaders can't say "Oops, my bad" in the easiest opportunity you will ever have to do so.

Just look through this thread. In order to stick up for Diaco in this episode it's almost necessary to adopt a "Media are the devil" posture. Yeah, sure, the media and the coaches have different goals and this has always been the case. But we've seen this story before from an NU coaching staff. It doesn't end pretty.

The current staff at NU has banked quite a bit of goodwill. Diaco is burning through that capital. It's confusing more than anything.

• Plus1 3

...and it will only be an issue if/when the defense sucks. If/when they play well nobody will give a crap if he talks to the media or not. That is all you need to know about the context of this issue. Sportswriters and some fans want the scapegoat grilled, nothing more, nothing less. I'm giving him the benefit of the doubt based on his word that he was not told he was expected to do these pressers. In fact, I believe he was told he did not need to do them. How in the hell is that throwing Riley under the bus. If He was told that, that somebody needs to be thrown under a bus.

I'm not personally too concerned with the team playing well or poorly, so I'm probably the least mad of anyone about the actual game. I just want to see respectable stuff from the program. The media will be the media. Coaches have a higher standard. Riley & co. have really been aces in all this so far. I'm honestly just flabbergasted that this happened. 

(Riley clearly told him he didn't have to give these talks, or at least he sure made it sound this way. Diaco could have said this was the way "we" planned it, but he understands it wasn't a good look, he appreciates the feedback, and he'll do postgames going forward. The right answer is so simple, and yet even after having time to prepare it..."It wasn't my fault, don't you appreciate all the other pressers I gave, this was all just some mixup and your points are invalid".)

• Plus1 1
1 minute ago, zoogs said:

I'm not personally too concerned with the team playing well or poorly, so I'm probably the least mad of anyone about the actual game. I just want to see respectable stuff from the program. The media will be the media. Coaches have a higher standard. Riley & co. have really been aces in all this so far. I'm honestly just flabbergasted that this happened. 

(Riley clearly told him he didn't have to give these talks, or at least he sure made it sound this way. Diaco could have said this was the way "we" planned it, but he understands it wasn't a good look, he appreciates the feedback, and he'll do postgames going forward. The right answer is so simple, and yet even after having time to prepare it..."It wasn't my fault, don't you appreciate all the other pressers I gave, this was all just some mixup and your points are invalid".)

I understand being confused or flabbergasted it happened. It does seem like they should have their sh!t together better than this. But I've got a little problem with people acting like they're owed something when all they really want is their pound of flesh. And I've got a problem with instantly jumping to comparing it to a Bo Pelini move. Not every little media related thing equates to the toxic relationship that Bo developed with the media. I've seen nothing from Riley and company to suggest that things are headed in that direction at all.

Well, I've seen nothing from Riley. As of now I'm quite worried about Diaco. (But not about El Diaco; I hear that guy's aces :D)

Maybe I'm not being totally far on The Bob, but it sure seemed like he came out swinging on this one. That's...well, I dunno. It's at least shades of Bo. Had this happened under Pelini it would have been (fairly) one of the top examples of the toxic atmosphere. It's a long season, though. Let's see what happens. I hope Bob keeps it together.

One thing to add that I agree with you about: I don't understand the whole "fans pay cash" angle that always seems to come into play here. It's weird. Fandom is weird. "It's an emotional/financial investment", what a strange argument. I mean, I guess it is. But why?

• Plus1 1