Let's cut to the chase

marko polo

3 hours ago, URSS said:

First game- thought the offense was good and they will improve.  The right side of the line let too many untouched defenders come through.

I have never been a fan of the 3-4 defense and the game yesterday just reinforced my opinion.  We will not be competitive in the Big 10 if we continue to use it.  I thought the players were good enough for a great season but not if we use the 3-4 defense.  We did not put pressure on QB and gave up far too many 4-5 yard plays throughout the game.  They showed some signs of defending the flat passes late in the game but still gave up too many yards. 

If our defense had this much trouble with Arkansas State, they will get humiliated against Michigan, Wisconsin, and Ohio State.

Next week we will face Oregon and throw the ball a lot.  I can't see us putting a lot of pressure on their passing game.  Our defensive backs may be good but they can't stop the passing game if the QB never gets pressured.

The 3-4 has worked really well for the Steelers for decades.  What we saw last night wasn't a 3-4 defense.  That was a prevent defense.  

cutting to the chase.....its a broken record. we can analyze, hope, dream, talk, project whatever that a .500  lifetime coach is going to finish his last 2 years with giant recruiting classes and conference championships(notice i gave up on National championships). we know how this will end, we just don't want to admit it. I quit fighting it years ago. the next chance to fix this is in 2 years if it isn't forced before then.

• Plus1 1

OK I will cut to the chase.

After three years we are still seeing play calling not conducive to good clock/game management.  We are still seeing incomplete passes in totally inappropriate situations, close to the goal, and when the clock should be bleeding down.  Once is an accident, twice is a pattern, three times and you are branded for life.  That is on the coaches.  

Beyond that the defense, special teams just didn't look like they played really hard.  Now WVU/ Va Tech tonight:  those players played HARD.  Bama, Mich, Clemson played HARD.  DBacks flying to the ball, smacking people.  I didn't see that so much out of the Blackshirts.

I think the rest of the big 14 was 10-2 right?

Could be a tough year.

So no, not rising out of mediocrity yet.... that could change

Déjà vu ????

Occasionally my feeling of familiarity .....

Callahan first season: 5W-6L. Coaches Poll: NR. Inherited from winning coach (Solich 10W-3L)
Riley first season: 6W-7L. Coaches Poll: NR. Inherited from winning coach (Pelini 9W-4L)

Callahan second season: 8W-4L. Coaches Poll: #24. "Bright days are ahead..."
Riley second season: 9W-4L. Coaches Poll: #26. "Bright days are ahead..."

Callahan third season: 9W-5L. Coaches Poll: #26
Riley third season: ???

After fourth season, Callahan was canned.

35 minutes ago, Hooked on Huskers said:

Déjà vu ????

Occasionally my feeling of familiarity .....

Callahan first season: 5W-6L. Coaches Poll: NR. Inherited from winning coach (Solich 10W-3L)
Riley first season: 6W-7L. Coaches Poll: NR. Inherited from winning coach (Pelini 9W-4L)

Callahan second season: 8W-4L. Coaches Poll: #24. "Bright days are ahead..."
Riley second season: 9W-4L. Coaches Poll: #26. "Bright days are ahead..."

Callahan third season: 9W-5L. Coaches Poll: #26
Riley third season: ???

After fourth season, Callahan was canned.

15 minutes ago, BlitzFirst said:

Looks like you have something to look forward to

When all goes exactly as you planned (no way it can't right?  I mean you have all these comparisons above) then you can laugh down your nose at people with 'I told you so' and 'I saw this coming'.

OR

You could just watch and enjoy your team playing no matter who the coach is.

I admit big CalFan in 2005/2006 year :o.  Bottom line, still waiting on a jury to return a verdict (MR)

I accepted our new standing in CFB a few years ago. I just came to the honest conclusion that the current landscape of college football will likely never allow a return to dominance for the program. 

That was probably 3 years or so ago. Yeah I know the writing was on the wall earlier but 2009 teased me a little. 

And you know what? I still watch all the games and probably enjoy them more now that I'm not burdened by the pie in the sky expectations. 

Basically, in the 90's if we lost a game I considered the season "over" because for me not playing for the NC was a failure. I held onto that mentality for way too long. 

So yeah, I've accepted that we are a mediocre program and will likely never reach those heights again. I'm just not letting it ruin my enjoyment of the game anymore. 

• Plus1 3
  • Mavric locked this topic