What happened to our S&C program?

Guess I saw things differently. Late in the game Carlos Davis was fighting so hard he had to be tackled. Gifford was running hard til the whistle. OTOH, playing confused, like some of the DBs seemed to do, stresses you out like crazy. Instead of the game slowing down it speeds up. I did see some of that.

The Oline was pushing hard on run support til the end. Kinda of a mixed bag but on balance I didn't think the kids looked too bad at the end.

• Plus1 2
2 hours ago, the paradigm said:

Our strength and conditioning program used to be top-notch. Last night these guys looked gassed before halftime, whiffing on blocks on offense, unable to get off blocks on defense. Looked like a bunch of 300-pound marshmallows out there. What happened?

You do realize that on defense we only have 3 linemen vs 5 O linemen unless there is a blitz called?  Their job is to bottle up the O linemen and let the linebackers clean up.  ASU's offense is a quick strike bunch that makes the D play sideline to sideline on most plays.  They will wear out most teams they play unless there are considerable substitutions made.  Asking 280 to 300 pound linemen to run for 4 hours is not a recipe for success.  The only O lineman I saw making bad mistakes was Tanner Farmer who failed to chip that linebacker several times and allowed him in the backfield to quickly.  You seem to love being the new guy who plays the part of the troll.

I was impressed how physically we played.  Our D was gassed (most teams would be) as they played an up tempo team who were dink and dunking the whole game.  They "looked" better than they have in the past.

They continued to get first downs not allowing our D to rest. Throw in some "great" clock management and that hurt them as well.

Trust me, I have a lot of gripes from our first outing.  Conditioning wasn't/isnt one of them.

Yeah, at one point in the 4th, we were imposing our will with our O-Line and running game on ASU, not really concerned with S&C, especially with the offense.

The fact that the offense wasn't winded and was imposing its will is why I had concerns about Langsdorf's playcalling in the 'what did we learn' thread--if we have a hot hand and are imposing our will with the running game, then why the **** do you go away from it when you're looking to eat clock and limit opportunities for ASU late in the game?

Plus, if anything, that track meet of a game will help the kids acclimate for what they'll see against Oregon this Saturday. Not worried about S&C at all at this point. 

4 hours ago, the paradigm said:

Our strength and conditioning program used to be top-notch. Last night these guys looked gassed before halftime, whiffing on blocks on offense, unable to get off blocks on defense. Looked like a bunch of 300-pound marshmallows out there. What happened?

TW1kmwr.gif

• Plus1 3

39 minutes ago, 84HuskerLaw said:

In a track meet type of game, you better use relay runners (substitute guys so you don't get tired).  Not a complicated thing.  There is no excuse for your defense ever getting tired or 'gassed' at home in the first game of the year vs a lower division team, playing at night on an 80 degree day.  None.  

You do understand if the offense doesn't substitute the defense does not have time to against a hurry up, right?  It is literally written into the rulebook and talked about in every game you watch with an up tempo team.  You have watched "tempo" based offenses before, haven't you?

• Plus1 3
34 minutes ago, In the Deed the Glory said:

You do understand if the offense doesn't substitute the defense does not have time to against a hurry up, right?  It is literally written into the rulebook and talked about in every game you watch with an up tempo team.  You have watched "tempo" based offenses before, haven't you?

Of course.  but we certainly have the ability to rotate guys between series as well as have times after penalties, injuries, TV timeouts, etc.   If your defense is tired, you may need to think about the consequences of having CBs trailing the receivers and LBs not able to move fast enough or DL simply not able to rush the QB.  My primary point is, however, that this is the first game of the season and these are 20 year old men that should be in the best physical shape of their lives.  Playing 89 snaps spaced out in groups of 6 to 12 snaps over a 4 hour period with all sorts of stoppages for scores, timeouts, quarters, half times, etc should mean we do NOT get fatigued.  The essential point of the discussion is why are our players NOT in good enough physical shape to be able to be play hard in the 4th quarter.   We likely had almost double the number of players suited up as Ark State, being at home.  Our players should have been fully rested and ready to go.  This is game one, long before any issues of playing a long, tough season.   Substitute guys.  Take a time out before you give up a TD or more first downs.  Adjust your defense to get a stop.  That is the point.  We are Nebraska!   We have literally tens of millions of dollars invested in the finest strength and conditioning program on the planet!    

• Plus1 3
44 minutes ago, In the Deed the Glory said:

Lol, god I'm glad I have that guy on ignore.