Remember 2014 McNeese State?

BoNeyard

This performance vs Arkansas State and the close victory has made me search for other times Nebraska won a close game that shouldn't have been close. Why spend the time? Well because I am going nuts trying to project what the rest of the season may be like even though I know that is impossible to do.

But in my search I stumbled upon the 2014 McNeese State game. Until today I had forgotten all about this one, probably because I wanted it to leave my memory as soon as the clock struck 00:00 and we got the win. But here you had McNeese State, a lesser league then Arkansas State, come into Lincoln and take on a Nebraska team that had some really good talent and was in Pelini's 7th year, so his system was well into place by then. Nebraska was also ranked 19th at the time, but needed a great play by Abdullah to avoid what would have been the biggest upset in Memorial Stadium. Nebraska went on to have a pretty good rest of the year if you don't count the blow out loss to Wisconsin, upset vs Minnesota, or the flop vs USC in the bowl game, but the season didn't go into the tanker until November and Nebraska finished 9-4.

I guess the point here is, we have no idea what this Arkansas State game means for the rest of the season. Football is crazy and fun like that.

• Plus1 1

3 minutes ago, MyBloodIsRed16 said:

Yeah if we represent the west in the CCG nobody will remember this game 

Game by game these days in college football. The early test could very well be a blessing in disguise for this team and season. Also with Nebraska's offense being a bright spot and Lee so far looking like a solid QB you have to be hopeful the offense can keep us in many games.

• Plus1 1

It's weird how blind/forgetful some Nebraska fans suddenly are about what college football is like when this happens to Nebraska.

The thing that I love about college football is that bad teams can get up for good teams and manage to pull out a win.

Maybe we're not a good team this year, but one game absolutely does not show that.

FFS look at Tennessee last year. They almost lost to an FCS team and ended up having a decent season.

• Plus1 2

Honestly, McNeese State was the game that immediately came to mind for me as well. I listened to BRO after the game and one guy compared it to Ball State in that horrific 2008 season. McNeese seems more apt to me, even though we held on to win rather than needing to score late to win.

But yeah, it's college football. Any team can win any week. This team should learn that. It seems to me way too many NU teams recently bought their own hype and forgot that we're not guaranteed Ws just because we're Nebraska. They need to earn it every week.

An even better one is 2010 SDSU. That team (Nebraska's) was a legitimate top-10 unit when Taylor Martinez was healthy, and we were putting up huge dominating performances on everyone, ranked (deservedly) as #6 when they gave us a scary run for our money. Next week, we obliterated Kansas State. Then we lost to Texas, and then racked up back to back wins over #17 Oklahoma State and #7 Missouri.

• Plus1 1
14 minutes ago, The Dude said:

MacNcheese State kind of seemed like the beginning of the end for Bo.  It shouldn't take a miracle to beat a high school team.

Maybe Arkansas State'll be the beginning of the end for Riley.  I don't really want to see Mike go, but I don't want the window to close on Frost.

I wouldn't want Frost here if he is going to bring the Kelly philosophy with him.

1 minute ago, hskerprid said:

I wouldn't want Frost here if he is going to bring the Kelly philosophy with him.

I hear you.  I'm not a huge fan of it personally, but his version of that offense was the most palatable for me.  

Not sure if there's a better coach out there we could get.  If there is, go for it.

Saturday's game reminded me of the 2013 opener vs Wyoming. G5 team came in and lit us up for 600 yards thanks to a questionable defensive game plan and execution by the Huskers. Never put the game away and had to hold on late.

Hopefully this defense catches on quicker bc that team took awhile before they started playing better defense. 

• Plus1 2

2013 Wyoming
2010 SDSU (well, this was 17-3)
2007 Ball State

The Wyoming game is what this reminded me of. I don't even want to think about Ball State. Brett Smith was having a field day and the Cowboys looked mostly put away throughout the game, but all of a sudden at the end it got really, really dicey.

The point is both that this happens with some frequency in general and has happened here for some time.