Gerrymandering

The story is breaking so I don't know the details, but the Supreme Court is "sidestepping" the cases and letting the maps stand for now.

Beliw is from madison.com

The U.S. Supreme Court has ruled the plaintiffs in a Wisconsin gerrymandering case lack standing, sending the case back to a lower court for further proceedings.

The 7-2 decision in the case, known as Gill v. Whitford, does not resolve a challenge to the legislative maps the Republican-controlled Legislature drew under tightly controlled secrecy in 2011. It was the first time one party controlled the redistricting process in decades.

Also, don't have the link, but the PA Republicans are considering rewriting their constitution to change how their supreme court judges are chosen, since they lost their hyper-partisan map due to not having all GOP justices.

I'm tired of this s#!t.

• Plus1 1

Here you go Moiraine. I saw this as well.

Well, from a pessimist's view, this means we probably get to try this again in a year or two with a swingy voter like Kennedy replaced with some right-wing conservative like Gorsuch. Which means it probably is going to be left alone.

Bad day for democracy. This is the type of ruling that really sucks the enthusiasm out of somebody younger like me that is fired up to try to improve our political system. We're just going to keep letting our politicians pick their own voters and money run the system. Lame.

• Plus1 1

35 minutes ago, Clifford Franklin said:

I suppose with Gorsuch 2.0 coming soon to a Supreme Court near you, we may as well just give up on fighting gerrymandering.

They'll predictably say it's not a question for the courts to answer & it will be the law of the land.

Sad day for democracy, today.

Need to start winning state elections. 

• Plus1 1
5 hours ago, Moiraine said:

Need to start winning state elections. 

Yep. And governorships.

The way Pennsylvania did it is the preferred approach. Challenge the state's maps on the basis of the STATE'S constitution. But that presumes a state Supreme Court that is amenable to such an argument. In PA that was the case; state conservatives flipped out & threatened to impeach Supreme Court justices but nonetheless, the maps got tossed.

Which goes right back to liberals needing to win down ballot.

1 minute ago, Clifford Franklin said:

Yep. And governorships.

The way Pennsylvania did it is the preferred approach. Challenge the state's maps on the basis of the STATE'S constitution. But that presumes a state Supreme Court that is amenable to such an argument. In PA that was the case; state conservatives flipped out & threatened to impeach Supreme Court justices but nonetheless, the maps got tossed.

Which goes right back to liberals needing to win down ballot.

I read and posted an article a few days ago about PA. They are thinking of re-writing the constitution to "fix" the problem.

• 4 months later...

Ooof. Really glad Wisconsin elected a clean sweep blue governor and cabinet and sent Baldwin back to the Senate. But those state assembly results are BRUTAL.

One of the biggest reasons I wanted Evers to beat Scott Walker was because now he can veto maps that are this atrociously gerrymandered in 2020. It's got to feel horrible as a Wisconsin voter to know your state representation is already decided for you.

Some pretty grim news on the state of democracy in the state in this thread. And Wisconsin Republicans are already thinking about stripping him of his powers before he even begins his term.

• Thanks 1
  • 3 weeks later...

• 2 weeks later...
3 minutes ago, Clifford Franklin said:

Such a shame.

If only there were some type of supreme group of individuals, separate from the legislators and president, who could've weighed in and said stuff like this is wrong and harmful to a healthy democracy.

But I don't think a group like that exists. Maybe I'm just too idealistic.

Can you summarize? I’m out of NY Times articles.

From what I read I think they’re having the group that decides on maps have #s based on the # of legislators from each party?

The maps should be done via computer in every state.