Gerrymandering

3 minutes ago, Moiraine said:

It's not half. According to wikipedia, 37.6% identify as Hispanic.

But here's a nice map of a Texas district. This went to court, I think the anti-gerrymanderers won at first, then the Republicans won. Not sure what's happening with it now. I got tired of searching.

texas-35-25810048abae74e2926130ee177bb5d

I think 37% Hispanic is a gross under-representation of the general populace of Texas.  I mean, I can't prove that empirically, but it just seems really low.  I've been to Texas, specifically Dallas/Ft. Worth and most of the city seems to be brown.  That was my general impression/over-view anyway.

@Making Chimichangas I don't know if I would say the overriding goal of GOP state parties is to allow only white people to vote... clearly their goal is to allow only GOP voters to vote whenever possible or dump as many Dem votes into as few Dem dominated districts (where they'd be wasted) as possible. For certain groups like the North Carolina GOP, disenfranchising black voters & fighting for white voters merely becomes a necessary part of their overall goal.

Texas has the demographics to slowly shift blue as an electoral college state as time passes. There's no telling when it will finally happen, but if and when it does,, it will be an absolute gamechanger that will force the GOP to adapt its electoral strategy. It's not undoable... remember, even deep blue California used to be a far more conservative-friendly state. 

State legislatures, though...that's tough. The parties really do view them as testing grounds for partisan agendas, if you can seize the requisite power. States like Texas will be some of the last bastions to fall if gerrymandering is done in & fair voting rights are enforced. They won't just go away. They'll have to have power taken from them.

8 minutes ago, Making Chimichangas said:

I think 37% Hispanic is a gross under-representation of the general populace of Texas.  I mean, I can't prove that empirically, but it just seems really low.  I've been to Texas, specifically Dallas/Ft. Worth and most of the city seems to be brown.  That was my general impression/over-view anyway.

I know that El Paso has about 80% Spanish speaking population. I think it's mostly the cities. Anyhow, the Census is 7-8 years old now. In case you missed it, the GOP is trying to fix the Census too.

Edited by Moiraine
12 minutes ago, dudeguyy said:

@Making Chimichangas I don't know if I would say the overriding goal of GOP state parties is to allow only white people to vote... clearly their goal is to allow only GOP voters to vote whenever possible or dump as many Dem votes into as few Dem dominated districts (where they'd be wasted) as possible. For certain groups like the North Carolina GOP, disenfranchising black voters & fighting for white voters merely becomes a necessary part of their overall goal.

Texas has the demographics to slowly shift blue as an electoral college state as time passes. There's no telling when it will finally happen, but if and when it does,, it will be an absolute gamechanger that will force the GOP to adapt its electoral strategy. It's not undoable... remember, even deep blue California used to be a far more conservative-friendly state. 

State legislatures, though...that's tough. The parties really do view them as testing grounds for partisan agendas, if you can seize the requisite power. States like Texas will be some of the last bastions to fall if gerrymandering is done in & fair voting rights are enforced. They won't just go away. They'll have to have power taken from them.

The part in green...Based on what you've said, it seems to me that disenfranchising any voter that isn't white is par for the course of the Republican agenda.  Granted there are non-white Republicans, but they are by far minorities within minorities.  And disenfranchising non-white voters seems to be the GOP's SOP. 

The rest: I agree.

You'd have to think Trump's demands for an immigration deal, like ending family-based migration & drastically reducing LEGAL immigration in addition to stepped up deportations - applauded roundly by nationalist immigration hawks like Steve King & Senator Tom Cotton -are an attempt to massively reduce the slow darkening of America, as well.

8 hours ago, Making Chimichangas said:

Although I am very anti gerrymandering, I have to call you out on this statement as a gross over-generalization based on limited experience.  This is the kind of thing I hate in political arguments, where someone discredits data based on personal observations.

i know you didn't mean anything by  it, but I just thought I would mention it.  I would guess that large urban areas in Texas might have a different racial makeup than smaller towns?

I would also add that Republicans are really shooting themselves in the foot with regard to racial and national xenophobia.  Hispanics as a group have shown voting patterns that are as diverse as they are.  Many hispanics in America are very socially conservative, but will never support a guy like Trump, for obvious reasons.

The increase in Hispanic demographics in America don't have to hurt the Conservatives, if they could just drop the whole racism thing.  IMO 

• Plus1 1
1 hour ago, Kiyoat Husker said:

I would also add that Republicans are really shooting themselves in the foot with regard to racial and national xenophobia.  Hispanics as a group have shown voting patterns that are as diverse as they are.  Many hispanics in America are very socially conservative, but will never support a guy like Trump, for obvious reasons.

The increase in Hispanic demographics in America don't have to hurt the Conservatives, if they could just drop the whole racism thing.  IMO 

Indeed. I'm guessing a huge proportion of Hispanics are pro life.

4 hours ago, Kiyoat Husker said:

Although I am very anti gerrymandering, I have to call you out on this statement as a gross over-generalization based on limited experience.  This is the kind of thing I hate in political arguments, where someone discredits data based on personal observations.

i know you didn't mean anything by  it, but I just thought I would mention it.  I would guess that large urban areas in Texas might have a different racial makeup than smaller towns?

That is entirely possible.  It could very well be that the urban areas do paint a different picture than other, more rural areas.  I still think that ~37% is a low estimation though.

2 hours ago, Making Chimichangas said:

That is entirely possible.  It could very well be that the urban areas do paint a different picture than other, more rural areas.  I still think that ~37% is a low estimation though.

It it wasn't an estimation.  It was the US Census.  I'm sure there is a little grey area because it is based on people self-reporting race, but there are literally millions of data points they are basing it on.

On the other hand, I'd say your observations qualify as anecdotal.  Tiny sampling point, and the way someone looks is not a reliable predictor of race or ethnicity.  Tan caucasians can look Hispanic, and there are plenty of latinos that are whiter in color than the average Nebraskan.

5 hours ago, Kiyoat Husker said:

Yup, as well as drug-dealing rapists.  That's what I am told, anyway, so it must be true.

Can you elaborate on why you think this response was called for? Because my post and what Trump said are not anything close to being the same type of thing.

FT_15.07.23_religionDiversityIndex-1.png

15% of the population is Latino. 34% of Catholics are Latino.

It stands to reason a large percentage of Hispanics are pro-life.

(Yes, I know Hispanic is not the same thing as Latino, but I'm not gonna try to find another graph).

Edited by Moiraine
2 hours ago, Moiraine said:

Can you elaborate on why you think this response was called for? Because my post and what Trump said are not anything close to being the same type of thing.

Sure, I'll expand on my response:

I....was....being....facetious....

Just making a joke about Trump's famous generalization of Mexican immigrants.  Sarcasm directed at Trump, not you.  I thought you would get it.  Sorry.  Your post was spot on.  I agree that Hispanics, Latinos and Mexicans are likely to be pro-life, and socially conservative.  Which is ironic, given the demonization of Mexican immigrants by this administration.

8 minutes ago, Kiyoat Husker said:

Sure, I'll expand on my response:

I....was....being....facetious....

Just making a joke about Trump's famous generalization of Mexican immigrants.  Sarcasm directed at Trump, not you.  I thought you would get it.  Sorry.  Your post was spot on.  I agree that Hispanics, Latinos and Mexicans are likely to be pro-life, and socially conservative.  Which is ironic, given the demonization of Mexican immigrants by this administration.

I didn't get it, 'cause your post seemed to be implying I was doing something similar.

:P

2 minutes ago, Moiraine said:

I didn't get it, 'cause your post seemed to be implying I was doing something similar.

:P

Yeah, I thought I got the whole "projecting sarcasm in texts/posts" thing down, but I still manage to piss people off once in a while....  I end up having to use that stupid "/s" symbol.  I get why people use emoji's so much.  I just try to minimize my use.  You know, because I'm an emotionally repressed male that is afraid to seem effeminate or metrosexual.

/s