Where is the confidence coming from?

Mangino allegedly assaulted players.  Leach allegedly locked Craig James kid in a storage room.  I'm not advocating that coaches should hit their players or anything of the such.  However, it does get a little difficult to believe a coach that is wider than he is taller assaulting a collegiate football player.   

• Plus1 1

Oregon definitely has a better staff than they had last year. I was lukewarm on the Taggart hire at first because it felt like more of the same chasing Chip Kelly years that got Oregon in trouble in the first place. But then they went out and hired a real DC and several good position coaches to help him out. They basically formed a dream Pac12 staff with Poly/West coast recruiting ties as well as good coaching.

They're going to be a solid team this year at the very least. I would consider this a big road victory and it would do a lot to alleviate my nervousness the rest of the year. A loss won't be the end of the world but I do think it would likely mean an 8 win season, which I could live with.

• Plus1 1
1 hour ago, junior4949 said:

I'm glad someone brought this up.  I for one think Charlie Strong is a pretty good coach.  However, something strange has happened to Texas. 

It's not strange--the inmates (boosters) are running the asylum (AD). And frankly, some of those boosters are crazy or racist (or both) enough that they should be committed. It's why Mack Brown and the AD were jettisoned, it's partially why Strong was booted, and why Texas went after Herman (and why they can't land someone better, no matter the money thrown at them). 

• Plus1 1
13 hours ago, speedtoburn said:

I am aware that there are many who think we have a legitimate shot at beating Oregon.

I'm trying to understand logically how someone arrives at that conclusion. We got torched last week to the tune of nearly 500 yards whilst having to hang on for dear life against Arkansas State.

In the face of the above, and considering our next opponent has a plethora of athletes much better than Arkansas State along with a prolific offense built to spread the ball around like wildfire and exploit the same mismatches and weaknesses that Arkansas State did, I'm trying to understand  how on earth there is an expectation that we can even be COMPETITIVE in this game let alone win it?

What quantifiable things am I missing?

What should make me hope for something other than another embarrassing smackdown on national TV?

Let me guess - PR director for Oregon?

5 hours ago, Huskerfan55 said:

There is no logic in those who are over confident - it is rose colored glasses!  Riley has done nothing to indicate he can win and win at above a .500 pace!  

If we play better then we did last week defensively we may have a chance but I am not holding out hope.  I know this forum is only for those who express total loyalty to the Big Red and never say anything that is not motivated by the Kool-aide but please!

I know you know what the word "nothing" means so please use appropriately

5 hours ago, GoDucks349 said:

Not that it's relevant, it's not, but Oregon is a little familiar with Arkansas St, we played them in 2012. The half time score was 50-10. I don't think Arkansas St would beat Oregon as I highly doubt they've improved that much in the last few years.

Well I guess the second question then would be is Oregon as good as they were in 2012? - and I think we all know the answer to that

9 minutes ago, Sea of Red said:

Two words.  Royce Freeman.  He is the X-factor from last year that should not be overlooked even with a new staff.  Well that and if Oregon would have kicked a field goal instead of going for two every time.

So....because of those two factors, we have absolutely no chance of winning this game.  We should all just cry in our beers and sit around bitching about how horrible our team is and how horrible our coaching staff is and how we don't have anywhere close to the talent Oregon has and how we are only going to win 4 games all year and how everyone in Lincoln has no clue what they are doing....they should read Huskerboard so they can learn how to manage a team, hire coaches, coach the team, recruit, game plan, call plays, do post game interviews...and wipe their asses.

• Plus1 1

Is there a problem with over-confidence on this board? Cause I'm not seeing it.

The possibility that Nebraska could do better against a better opponent is based on the fact that it happens every weekend.

Mike Riley can lose to Purdue one Saturday and beat #5 Michigan State the next. Same with pretty much every coach. That's football.

I'd like to say I'm optimistic based on the Wake Up Call theory, but I'm not. At this point I'm just really curious.