Trump Domestic Policy - Budgets, etc

21 hours ago, BigRedBuster said:

This is why politicizing these things just wreaks.  It's idiotic to think that all of a sudden Walmart is giving raises to everyone because of the tax cut.  

Someone one twitter did the math on this, and I can't remember who or i'd post it.  The 'bonus' equates to roughly $180 an employee.   The bonus will be roughly $400M, closing these 60+ stores will save the company $220M.  Now Walmart is still paying $180M that they are bonusing to employees, which is nice.  Also, nice that the new tax bill will save Walmart $18B.   If Walmart would have actually used the tax savings and split it evenly to employees, every employee would have received over $8,500.   The 'bonus' looks nice, but it's token gesture by Walmart to say thanks for the huge savings.  It's like if someone found my wallet that I lost and had $100 in it and as a thank you, I gave them a penny.

• Plus1 1

This is going to be very interesting to see how this ends up.

Trump came into office with the economy on a slow but steady upswing.  Over the previous 6-7 years, unemployment steadily decreased, jobs were created, stock market rose...etc.

Republicans flat out couldn't admit to that and called all the reports on jobs and unemployment fake.  Now, they are touting those same reports claiming Trump has miraculously turned everything around and the economy is booming....all because of Trump.

I was riding with my father down I-80 this weekend when he saw a coal train going down the tracks.  He said, "I think theirs more coal trains now than there were.....it must be because the economy is booming now".  The mentality of Republicans now is totally baffling on how they can talk themselves into believe that because Trump is in office, everything is fantastic.

• Plus1 2

So in other words, because we are a consumer driven economy, more immigration is needed and not less.   Birth rates are such that internal growth isn't sufficient to drive the economy - while not as bad as several European countries and Russia (we haven't announced a "make a baby day" like they did in Russia for example), it is sufficiently slow to slow down consumerism.  It also lowers that worker vs social security ratio -  we need sufficient workers to fund the huge # of us who have retired or will retire in the next 10 years.   Funny think, those families that come from south of the board tend fit the bill - hard working, large families who tend to be loyal.  Some bad apples for sure, but there have been a few bad apples that were internally grown as well. 

• Plus1 4