Trump Domestic Policy - Budgets, etc

On 3/2/2018 at 11:27 AM, TGHusker said:

Besides tariffs - let's not forget that Trump wants to basically scrap NAFTA.   Another stroke of brilliance.

To follow up on the above, Trump goes on a tweet rant about NAFTA

https://www.newsmax.com/politics/trump-canada-mexico-tariffs/2018/03/05/id/846755/

President Donald Trump on Monday took a swat at Canada for not treating U.S. farmers better and Mexico for allowing too many drugs to flow across the border while also tying tariffs to a new NAFTA agreement.

On 3/2/2018 at 12:47 PM, BigRedBuster said:

Here is an example of a good way to make policy. 

Pretty amazing.  Sounds like an admin out of control, disorganized and moveable only by the whims of Trump's emotions.  This alone is an Amendment 25 concern.  The guy is emotionally unstable, the staff seems to be very 'brittle' - afraid to step on egg shells.   As Fru said and this guy has his finger on the nuke button. :ahhhhhhhh

• Plus1 2

Have any businesses come out in support of the tariffs?

We could probably do a 5% tariff  on each and would've benefitted both industries without causing a lot of damage or uproar. 25% is pretty damn close to a ban because it's unaffordable.

Edited by Moiraine

48 minutes ago, TGHusker said:

Pretty amazing.  Sounds like an admin out of control, disorganized and moveable only by the whims of Trump's emotions.  This alone is an Amendment 25 concern.  

Frankly, this sounds less like the President and more like the post-90s GOP as a whole. 

If anyone wants to start a moderate third party, now is the perfect time to do it. 

40 minutes ago, VectorVictor said:

Frankly, this sounds less like the President and more like the post-90s GOP as a whole. 

If anyone wants to start a moderate third party, now is the perfect time to do it. 

Please explain the bold

42 minutes ago, TheSker said:

Yes, there is support from the obvious....U.S. steel companies, labor unions and Democrats Sherrod Brown of Ohio and Bob Casey of Pennsylvania.

I feel like the issue is either way someone is going to be ticked off. Manufacturing & the American steel industry have long felt like they've been getting screwed.

But a lot of their problems are not ones that can be solved with tariffs. And the vast majority of people lose with these tariffs.

Basically, if you support steel/aluminum manufacturing or labor unions (like Brown or Casey do) you like this. But we're really just choosing winners & losers and deciding who to tick off with a move like this.

16 minutes ago, dudeguyy said:

But a lot of their problems are not ones that can be solved with tariffs.

What are a lot of their problems?

The three products that made the news from the EU were Harley Davidson motorcycles (American Steel?), Levis and bourbon.

Sales of those products might very well decrease in the EU, but I wonder if it's possible steel workers would be an interested market in the U.S. for those products?

I certainly agree with your line of questioning.  I also think it's ok for the U.S. to look at ways of being more productive.  We are huge consumers.

34 minutes ago, RedDenver said:

There's also the issue of not enough domestic supply (for aluminum at least):

The tariffs can't fix a problem with there being not enough domestic supply to meet demands.

The supply question is valid, especially in the short term.  

I live in Golden CO and have acquaintances at the Coors facility in Golden and with Ball Corporation who has a large aluminum can manufacturing plant in Golden.

It will be interesting to get their thoughts.